LJ's Journey to be Slim by Sixty

lol lol lol lol yes not often enough !!! I forgot to ask. What will you do instead of your walk?

Happy Saturday!

We we have some very early birds amongst us lol I had a lie in this morning, just had brunch.. Which I suppose is actually lunch!

The sun is trying to break through the clouds, I think it will be a nice day today. I have a letter to post and a few bits I could do with from a shop. So might have a walk round the block and to the shop. Last time I did that it was about 2 miles.

My friend just text me to remind me we are going to the dog racing tonight, totally forgot! hmm the choice of food is a little.. Fried lolI wonder if they do jacket potato..

Breakfast - scrambled egg, 2 rashers and be good to yourself bacon, grilled tomato, beans and sausages (4syns)

lol lol lol lol yes not often enough !!! I forgot to ask. What will you do instead of your walk?

Well..... hopefully I'll do either 30 mins of callanetics or a dvd but if the day goes as fast as the morning may not get that in (only been faffing about!) hope ur day, LJ's and CJ's has been more productive ......but then again it is the wkend!!

Afternoon people. Home from work. Was too late up this morning to post anything here. I am relaxing in front of the tv watching Titanic and sipping a smoothie made of half a tin of peaches in juice blended with half a cup of my homemade kefir. Todays batch was yummy. Didn't incubate it for as long so it is milder and not so acidic.

Food for yesterday.

Breakfast: yogurt, honey (1syn)
Snack: banana
Lunch: soup and a cheese scone
Dinner: very mild chicken curry, salad, SW air fryer chips
Evening snack: small glass of kefir blended with a mango. (Only drank half)
Total calories: 997

The kefir had been incubated in the airing cupboard. Mistake! Too long, too acidic! Made my stomach hurt a bit and I went to bed early.

Todays's kefir was a nicer texture, milder. I read that when you get your grains they take awhile to settle down and produce good kefir. This kefir is good! I will bring my grains with me, CJ, for you to experience in April.

My intention, now that I have worked out how to make it, is to have kefir every evening for desert, mixed with either a little honey or some blended fruit. Must look up the syns for that. Still making yogurt too. I enjoy my yogurt breakfast. It's gentle on my stomach and a quick easy meal.

I must keep up the healthy eating regime now. Thinking of what my body needs for good health. I will take the stomach tablets until the end of May, then continue on the glucosamine for my back and knee probs and the SAM-e tablets that are said to be good painkillers. They arrived today and take effect within about a week.

If I hadn't joined Slimming World I would never be on this path. I'm glad!

I didn't do cooking yesterday either, upndown. Must do it either today or tomorrow. Probably tomorrow. Will make soup and bread. I make yogurt every couple of days and kefir daily. Just a small amount fresh every day.

So far today I have not eaten a lot. Yogurt and honey for breakfast, kefir and peaches for late lunch. I drank lots of bottled water and a glass of diet coke at work this morning. No idea what to have for dinner but I will think of something soon.

How is saturday going for you all? We seem to be doing well. All on plan. All strong and motivated. No chance for the Sunday demon to come out of his hole and temp us off the path! No sir!

That was a really' interesting post LJ. Good to hear your relaxing after work too.
Well as I posted earlier I have been awake since4. I sorted out a wardrobe and came up with four large bags and a suit for the charity shop. So I delivered them on my way to swimming. I did my 82 lengths (41 in ordinary pool) and then had to pick up a pair of curtains on the way home.Food today- 2 slices of toast ( 1 flora, 1 laughing cow), lunch- bowl of broccoli soup 2 slices of bread, raspberries with muller light yoghurt. tea, 1 portion golden vegetable rice, with fish in butter sauce, mushrooms and onions .I may have 2 rice cakes with marmite for supper. Ive just thought....no swimming now until next Saturday.

Last edited:

Guess what I did instead of a walk - very exciting! Cleared out my kitchen cupboards - very sad!!!

I'm no housewife but they needed doing and I knew that somewhere in the clutter - I had a fair bit of dried and and tinned food that needed using up.

So sorted it all out and found some low fat SW compliant recipes for next week. It's pathetic I know but I feel like inviting the neighbourhood to check out my work!!

Well done. lol lol I know what you mean though, I was like tgat with the wardrobe this morning. I just wanted to show someone. I bet you feel virtuous though:)

Afternoon people. Home from work. Was too late up this morning to post anything here. I am relaxing in front of the tv watching Titanic and sipping a smoothie made of half a tin of peaches in juice blended with half a cup of my homemade kefir. Todays batch was yummy. Didn't incubate it for as long so it is milder and not so acidic.

Food for yesterday.

Breakfast: yogurt, honey (1syn)
Snack: banana
Lunch: soup and a cheese scone
Dinner: very mild chicken curry, salad, SW air fryer chips
Evening snack: small glass of kefir blended with a mango. (Only drank half)
Total calories: 997

The kefir had been incubated in the airing cupboard. Mistake! Too long, too acidic! Made my stomach hurt a bit and I went to bed early.

Todays's kefir was a nicer texture, milder. I read that when you get your grains they take awhile to settle down and produce good kefir. This kefir is good! I will bring my grains with me, CJ, for you to experience in April.

My intention, now that I have worked out how to make it, is to have kefir every evening for desert, mixed with either a little honey or some blended fruit. Must look up the syns for that. Still making yogurt too. I enjoy my yogurt breakfast. It's gentle on my stomach and a quick easy meal.

I must keep up the healthy eating regime now. Thinking of what my body needs for good health. I will take the stomach tablets until the end of May, then continue on the glucosamine for my back and knee probs and the SAM-e tablets that are said to be good painkillers. They arrived today and take effect within about a week.

If I hadn't joined Slimming World I would never be on this path. I'm glad!

I didn't do cooking yesterday either, upndown. Must do it either today or tomorrow. Probably tomorrow. Will make soup and bread. I make yogurt every couple of days and kefir daily. Just a small amount fresh every day.

So far today I have not eaten a lot. Yogurt and honey for breakfast, kefir and peaches for late lunch. I drank lots of bottled water and a glass of diet coke at work this morning. No idea what to have for dinner but I will think of something soon.

How is saturday going for you all? We seem to be doing well. All on plan. All strong and motivated. No chance for the Sunday demon to come out of his hole and temp us off the path! No sir!

Hi - it's interesting to hear about the kefir and yogurt - I may try that myself - I like home made yog! I did make the pot and leek soup today plus a chicken dinner (but I wasn't working) Isabel aged 12 is here tonight and that's her fave meal! Amazing to see that all ur food came in under 1,000 cals too - thank u SW!!

I agree that now we've been on SW for several weeks (a miracle for me!) our thoughts do turn more to our health - Mo you must find that too - and CJ ur still far too young to think of that yet lol! Fat2go - u have often referred to health in general in ur posts - I hope ur ok?

My meals will take on a new dimension after next week's shop - I'll call it something trendy, short & snappy like - cupboard-bound-food-recycled-into-SW-allowable-meals (u'll need to read my other post to understand (or maybe u won't even then!)

Hope everyone's had a good day and been on plan!

Hi again - today's food consumption!:

b'fast - boiled egg, 1 ryvita with marmite - part of HEB

lunch - pot and leek soup and SW cheesecake 2.5 syns

tea - chicken, carrots, swede, parsnip, broccoli, mangetout, stuffing 2syns, small amount gravy 2 syns?
dessert hot banana with tsp hot golden syrup - syns Mmm......

Snack - few grapes, yog (only at this cos of food check exercise and my calcium intake was low!)

Drinks: 1 coffee part HEA ss milk, fruit tea, water

TOTAL SYNS = 6.5

I completed the check of my food against the Speed, Superspeed, Healthy Extras, (H)ealth/HH - (F)ibre/FF and (C)alcium/CC foods - here's my findings lol!

Speed and S/speed - ok on this one - as I like fruit and veg but only regularly eat a few of those with fibre which surprised me, also didn't realise that the H/HH symbols don't appear in the fruit and veg listings other than the starchy veg??

H & HH - only scored here on chicken, turkey, dairy products, different kinds of peas and beans, pasta, rice, corn on cob, sweetcorn, potatoes plus quorn & lentils (which I don't eat often)

F & FF - a few fruit & veg, dairy products as above, various beans, quorn which I don't eat often

C & CC foods - dairy proucts as above, a few green veg, sardines,

It took me ages to do - but was interesting - so will try to watch this more closely in future (when I remember!).

Also after cupboard clearing session I'll be eating some of the things which 'score' highly in these areas next week onwards (interesting that they were lurking in the back of my cupboards not at the front with my regularly used stuff!!)

Hi again - today's food consumption!:

b'fast - boiled egg, 1 ryvita with marmite - part of HEB

lunch - pot and leek soup and SW cheesecake 2.5 syns

tea - chicken, carrots, swede, parsnip, broccoli, mangetout, stuffing 2syns, small amount gravy 2 syns?
dessert hot banana with tsp hot golden syrup - syns Mmm......

Snack - few grapes, yog (only at this cos of food check exercise and my calcium intake was low!)

Drinks: 1 coffee part HEA ss milk, fruit tea, water

TOTAL SYNS = 6.5

I completed the check of my food against the Speed, Superspeed, Healthy Extras, (H)ealth/HH - (F)ibre/FF and (C)alcium/CC foods - here's my findings lol!

Speed and S/speed - ok on this one - as I like fruit and veg but only regularly eat a few of those with fibre which surprised me, also didn't realise that the H/HH symbols don't appear in the fruit and veg listings other than the starchy veg??

H & HH - only scored here on chicken, turkey, dairy products, different kinds of peas and beans, pasta, rice, corn on cob, sweetcorn, potatoes plus quorn & lentils (which I don't eat often)

F & FF - a few fruit & veg, dairy products as above, various beans, quorn which I don't eat often

C & CC foods - dairy proucts as above, a few green veg, sardines,

It took me ages to do - but was interesting - so will try to watch this more closely in future (when I remember!).

Also after cupboard clearing session I'll be eating some of the things which 'score' highly in these areas next week onwards (interesting that they were lurking in the back of my cupboards not at the front with my regularly used stuff!!)

Your food today sounds right up my street. The chicken dinner... Mmmmm! I don't cook roast dinner for myself. Doesn't seem worth it. When I move though I will be able to invite family over and have a nice sociable SW friendly meal :)

LOL at the cupboard meals. I should do the same. I have some things lurking in the backs of mine too. I do better at keeping frozen food rotating than the store cupboard foods.

Well done on the food analysis too. I expect you found that enlightening and helpful for future planning. It seems quite complicated but really i suppose we should all be checking this in order to be properly adhering to the plan in the way it was intended. Do you think we bend the rules more the longer we have been doing it? Maybe it's OK to adapt the plan a little to suit our own tastes and lifestyles?

Saturday's food

Breakfast: yogurt and honey (1 syn)
Snack: a stick of liquorice confectionery (1 syn)? Banana
Late lunch: kefir (4 syns), peaches (4syns)
Kefir is not in the SW lists so I used the syns for full fat milk although it probably should be a little less as it's partly digested.
Dinner: pasta with stir in sauce (4 syns), salad leaves, beetroot, HexA cheese
Evening snack: black grapes

Total syns 14
Calories 960

The lunchtime kefir was so filling I didn't really want dinner but knew it was not sensible to miss it.

The only other thing to mention is that cold food hurts my stomach so there is still some inflammation or ulceration in there. Even the few grapes I ate hurt me because they were out of the fridge. Apart from the cold things I am not getting any pain in my stomach. I drank the lunchtime smoothie very slowly as that was chilled temperature and I didn't want to overfill my stomach either. So I sipped it over the space of about half an hour and it was fine. I am visualising it introducing all those good bugs back into my intestines and they are killing the bad bugs. They actually burrow into the intestinal lining where the bad bugs hide and they kill them!

Your food today sounds right up my street. The chicken dinner... Mmmmm! I don't cook roast dinner for myself. Doesn't seem worth it. When I move though I will be able to invite family over and have a nice sociable SW friendly meal :)

LOL at the cupboard meals. I should do the same. I have some things lurking in the backs of mine too. I do better at keeping frozen food rotating than the store cupboard foods.

Well done on the food analysis too. I expect you found that enlightening and helpful for future planning. It seems quite complicated but really i suppose we should all be checking this in order to be properly adhering to the plan in the way it was intended. Do you think we bend the rules more the longer we have been doing it? Maybe it's OK to adapt the plan a little to suit our own tastes and lifestyles?

Yes it'll be nice to cook for the family when u move - it's getting closer every day!! And u'll have a garden to grow, herbs, salad, veg, fruit etc all organic!!

OH NO - you've reminded me that my freezer is probably nearly as bad as my cupboards - so that's another job on the list - altho' it'll be good for the purse - if I don't have to buy so much food for the next couple of weeks!!

I've always thought that SW is complicated - but once u've got ur head around it it's the best eating plan ever!!

But since I've joined here - I've stayed on plan for such a long time and I'm seeing what others eat and by sharing their feelings/attitudes to food it's helped me to start to understand my own relationship with food - and like everyone if I'm following a plan I want to maximise its effect

But it's only recently that I've realised I cd do more to improve what I'm eating - and your questions about SW prompted me give it more thought - I share ur interest in trying to work it all out!

Yes I think we do bend the rules the more familiar we become with SW - but again being on here really opens ur eyes to other ppl's eating habits, the way they cook, shop etc it's a big learning curve and has helped me to rethink my ways - variety is the spice of life they say!

Just thought that's probably why I haven't become bored this time and it's def why I don't keep all my syns for choc or sugary foods!! Mo perhaps that's why u don't feel so hungry (or could that be the packing/moving?)

Yes again - I do think that we must adapt SW to our lifestyles etc if we are to maintain our goal weights - and if we tweak things in the wrong direction - the scales will let us know and we'll have to tweak in the other direction!!

I do enjoy these discussions - I'm getting much more out of this than any class I've been to - and really feel that I can do this for life now - but I def don't have all the answers .... but with ur help, CJ's, Mo's and others we'll get there in the end!

Saturday's food

Breakfast: yogurt and honey (1 syn)
Snack: a stick of liquorice confectionery (1 syn)? Banana
Late lunch: kefir (4 syns), peaches (4syns)
Kefir is not in the SW lists so I used the syns for full fat milk although it probably should be a little less as it's partly digested.
Dinner: pasta with stir in sauce (4 syns), salad leaves, beetroot, HexA cheese
Evening snack: black grapes

Total syns 14
Calories 960

The lunchtime kefir was so filling I didn't really want dinner but knew it was not sensible to miss it.

The only other thing to mention is that cold food hurts my stomach so there is still some inflammation or ulceration in there. Even the few grapes I ate hurt me because they were out of the fridge. Apart from the cold things I am not getting any pain in my stomach. I drank the lunchtime smoothie very slowly as that was chilled temperature and I didn't want to overfill my stomach either. So I sipped it over the space of about half an hour and it was fine. I am visualising it introducing all those good bugs back into my intestines and they are killing the bad bugs. They actually burrow into the intestinal lining where the bad bugs hide and they kill them!

Wow another great day and such low cals! Love the idea of the bugs' war!!

Good morning All. Ive just read Upndowns post about SW and how we respond to it. I think youve hit the nail on the head completey with two of your points: firstly, it was so true when you said that the more you get used to SW the more you feel you can cheat. I know in the past this has been my downfall. Ive thought I can just have this or that, pushed the boundaries so many times and then wondered why I wasnt losing. Secondly, this site is far far better than any group!!!! Apart from the fact that on here we have genuine people helping each other to a commn goal, it is also a 24 hour a day every week group!!! I know that if I am unsure, need to ask or just need support I can come here and can get help. If I achieve my goal this time I know it will have been with a big thank you to you.

Good morning All. Ive just read Upndowns post about SW and how we respond to it. I think youve hit the nail on the head completey with two of your points: firstly, it was so true when you said that the more you get used to SW the more you feel you can cheat. I know in the past this has been my downfall. Ive thought I can just have this or that, pushed the boundaries so many times and then wondered why I wasnt losing. Secondly, this site is far far better than any group!!!! Apart from the fact that on here we have genuine people helping each other to a commn goal, it is also a 24 hour a day every week group!!! I know that if I am unsure, need to ask or just need support I can come here and can get help. If I achieve my goal this time I know it will have been with a big thank you to you.

Morning Everyone - it's bright and sunny so might get the walk in! The big agenda item today is our meals on wheels service to my mother in law - she's 84 and housebound unable to do much in the house either but is remarkably upbeat - we'll be there most of the day.

Isabel may come - but she'll help with cheese scones and SW brownies for sure!

LJ just took a peep at my likes and noticed u were 'liking' at 4 am - is that right - were u ill - if so, things have eased by now?

Yes I agree wholeheartedly - I keep wondering where my appetite's gone - but when I was checking my progress against the book I got to thinking that we're all on this site a fair deal - so it's a big part of our thinking process - so maybe that's subconsciously controlling what I'm eating plus helping me to make healthier choices??

Oooooh that's a bit heavy for 9 o'clock on a Sunday - off to do a spot of cooking. Have a good day all!

Afternoon all. I see I am too late to say good morning. Oops!

I got up really late today. I was awake but surfing the net reading all sorts of interesting food related things. How to grow your own ginger, how people use kefir, more about the benefits it gives, and also reading about water kefir. You can make natural fermented fizzy drinks with water kefir grains in fruit juices or herbal concoctions. People say its delicious on a hot day and has almost all the good things you get from milk kefir, certainly all the probiotics. I will probably give it a try in the summer after i move. For now I will continue with the milk kefir. Just strained todays batch and it can be added to the remainder from before. If kept in the fridge for a day or two before drinking it gets even more nutritious, many more b vitamins. Can't be bad! I need more glass storage containers for it really. I am going to use the beetroot jar when I have emptied it. That will be good in the fridge.

As you ladies have been saying, I agree that having the 24/7 support of this site and other like minded people is helping me enormously. It's become almost like following an enjoyable hobby and having an online forum to discuss it and compare notes. It's certainly not the painful self starvation and test of willpower of previous diets!

It is only since I joined Minimins that I realised that getting to a healthy weight is not just about what you eat but also very much about our attitude and relationship with food. We have to change if we are to succeed and I believe we are all on the road to success! Yay!

I am loving weighing every morning and seeing small losses each time. I know I am losing weight this week. I don't need to feel panicky about the group weigh in. I am also fascinated to see my calorie intake. I am eating by the same SW plan I was doing before and just recording what I eat on another site which adds up my calorie intake. It seems unbelievable that i am only eating about 1000 a day and not feeling deprived or hungry in the slightest. Things are a-changing....

Yes I agree wholeheartedly - I keep wondering where my appetite's gone - but when I was checking my progress against the book I got to thinking that we're all on this site a fair deal - so it's a big part of our thinking process - so maybe that's subconsciously controlling what I'm eating plus helping me to make healthier choices??

Oooooh that's a bit heavy for 9 o'clock on a Sunday - off to do a spot of cooking. Have a good day all!

My appetite has also reduced greatly. Is it maybe that our bodies are more satisfied and getting better nutrition because we are eating good things rather than junk? This site is also a factor most definitely. I live being able to come here anytime I like and read or post and feel like part of a virtual family of supportive people.

I am cooking today too. My soup is in the intellichef. I am sitting with a glass of cold fizzy water (drinking slowly so as not to hurt my stomach) and watching Jamie Oliver cooking some yummy looking dishes. In a minute I will start a loaf of bread in the breadmaker for this week's lunches.

Evening chums :)

What a beautiful day today has been! I hope it has been the same for all of you to. I have sat in the garden soaking up some rays for a few hours, watching the outdoor cat happily bouncing about. She loves it when we sit in the garden, she comes over to see what we are doing and stays pottering about. I then got inspired by LJ, it popped up on my phone that she had done a nice walk. So I got my trainers on and went for a fairly fast walk round the block, it didn't record on my app. But I re traced my route in the car and it's 1.8 miles. I then nipped to the shop (in the car) to get a few bits. Came home did the house work, now making tea.. Phew lol

I agree with you all, the 24/7 support here is great, I love reading how your days have been, what nice things your trying, recipes, and ideas about why we "were" the way we were eating wise. I think we are all getting a lot out of this. It's out own support group!

So I went out to the dog racing last night, I had a few ciders. I didn't manage to eat there as it was soooo busy! The queue was about 50 people long all night. I did end up having a huge mc donalds burger and chips on the way home.. It did have salad in lol! Oh well I'm hoping the walk balanced that out today. I did win £2.90 on a doggie, it was called tropical breeze, I thought that's a winning name if ever I heard one!

Todays food..

breakfast scrambled egg, beans and sausages (4syns), grilled tomato, 2 rashers of bacon.

lunch banana and grapes with natural yogurt and honey (1syn)

tea sticky bbq chicken (maggi cook in the bag 2.5 syns) salad, beet root, new potatoes and mayo (1)

maggi things are on offer in sainsburys, every flavour and different fun things. So I stocked up!

teas ready!

Back