LJ's Journey to be Slim by Sixty

Hi - Sorry 2 hear u have stress at work - u have my every sympathy - it's a horrible experience and used to invade my private life at times.

Well u've had a good attempt with ur last supper (plus B: and L:)!!! And u only had 1 'off' day - so hope u have a loss however small or sts - which is what I'd like for me but not looking like it at the mo! I've been feeling fatter so weighing regularly - numbers not going down!

CJ (& anyone who's interested!) since doing the water challenge I don't have many diet drinks at all (no room!!) but not sure if I've said this b4 - notice that diet d's sometimes make me feel hungry - one of my sons is a scientist and he doesn't like me drinking it cos he says that cos they contain artificial sweeteners & once drunk, the body is expecting sugar but when it doesn't get it - it hankers after some by making u hungry - I'm sure he'd giggle at my layman's explanation but hope u get the gist?

I did Kay's salad challenge today and went for a 40 min walk - here's how the food went on the day b4 the big day or big weigh:

Brunch: chicken marinated in 2 tsps sweet chilli mixed with a bit of water (2 syns?) I made a coleslaw with chopped peppers, leeks, onion & carrot with VLF mayo 1 syn??, 1 tsp mustard 1 syn?, white vinegar - with lots of lettuce - it was surprising filling! Melon and half a Muller (cdn't finish it - too full of water I think!)

Tea: Smoked Mackerel with the above coleslaw with cherry toms, cucumber and lots of lettuce, pickled onions and beetroot. Sugar free jelly (1/3 syn) and from frais

Drinks, 1 coffee ss milk part HEA , Diet Pepsi, 2 fruit teas 500ml water, low cal squash - 1.25L easier to drink than just water! = 1.75L

TOTAL SYNS: 4.3

Thank you for your sympathy. It isn't fun. But I shall soldier on and hope things get better soon.

Well done with your water! You are on a roll. Maybe you had a STS due to your body getting used to your increased water intake? Maybe that's also why you are feeling more bloated. Hopefully your body will balance out. Thank you also for the fizzy drink info. I have cut down today, just had a 500ml bottle this morning of Pepsi max, then just drank 3x fruit tea and sugar free squash. I'm getting back into the drinking now.

Good morning. I won`t go down the road that a sts (or maintain as one of the clubs calls it) because in our heads it isn`t is it.

I have been good this week, even put sweets & crackers down. However I am feeling bloated too, in fact have felt extremely uncomfortable for 2-3 days. Usually if I get like this this I take some Buscopan that the doc gave me for when my gallstones play up. Unfortunately I don`t have any with me. My scales say 2 on at present, but don`t get weighed till Friday.

You know sw now say that we should have 1/3rd superfree on red & green days now. They never used to before EE.

CJ when I can get to an Asda I will get some wraps & give the pizza a try. Thanks for that info.

Tues food. Eggs bacon mush 2 bread. Lunch BNS soup 1 bread 2.1/2 syns. Dinner piri piri chicken in a pack (free) with boiled spuds & 2 pears after.
Couple crackers 4. 2 pears and banana. Sure there was something else, will have to look it up
AH 2 sweets 1 syn
7.5 total.

AH and some crab sticks. sure I am eating too much

The wraps were tricky to find at first. But head for the free from aisle!

Good luck for Friday, 2 days can make a big difference. So you may still get a loss, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as you've been very good!

Even though I am feeling tired. I made myself go and chop up one of the melons in the fridge. I have been having bananas and grapes which are free not super free. Might be part of this weeks issue! So I chopped up some melon. I'll have a big pot to snack on at work tomorrow and I'll have that for pudding if I fancy it to. I have another one when that's gone to. I must start getting super free fruits! Only downside is they are more expensive.

Hi - I'm late catching up on everyone's post - we all seem to be motivated for next wk!! Just Doreen to weigh now - good luck! Here's how my food went on my 1500 cal day - don't think I'll do that again - didn't really enjoy it and cal counting is a faff!

B: frylight egg, mushrooms & tomatoes

L out: child's lasagne & salad (asked for larger portion)

Tea out: seabass, broccoli, baby carrots, baby s/corn, new potatoes - no butter! sticky toffee pud & ice cream

Drinks: 1 coffee, 2 teas - milk part HEA - 1 diet coke, 1 fruit tea + 2.4L water

40 mins walk

Upndown, Are you going to bed late or up early like me. Flynn wet the bed so had to take sheets etc off the bed, change him and myself. He is now asleep and I am still awake so decided to put the bedding in the machine, catch up a bit then back to bed.

CJ, Sorry about your gain. You do n`t sound like your chin is on the floor. Good for you. I think I will get some melon or pineapple to cut up too. I have been good with my food but I usually have lots of broccoli, cabbage and BNS/carrot soup but have not this week. I guess because I am tired and can`t be bothered to do it. 2 weeks with the children is quite hard. I have found it quite difficult this week. Should be going home Friday.

LJ your meals do sound lovely. When I am back home I am going to do some more batch cooking. Difficult to fetch here with me as very little room in fridge & freezer. Hope your new motovation helps you along.

Mo hope your house problems get sorted really soon, such stress sorting that sort of thing.

My weigh in hopefully in the morning. Bit of a problem has arisen so may not get there which is a bit of a pain as I am sure I have put on. There is a class on Saturday so may have to go to that one.
I am well known for having a good loss one week then putting on the next. Scares me a bit.But being on LJ`s thread with all you lovely people helps me not to shy away from it. Sh*t happens and I have to face up to it.

My food for Wednesday.

B: 2 eggs, bacon, 1/2 tin beans &mushrooms. 1 toast
L: ham sarni with salad cream 2 pears
D: corned beef, spuds and baked beans.
banana & pineapple.

Syns 7.5

1 bread 2.5
salad cream - 1
corned beef 120g - 4

Not enough broc/cabbage which helps fill me up then don`t have so many spuds. The pineapple & banana was nowhere enough for the day.
Also does show that I can manage to have one toast for breakfast. Gonna cut my breakfast down when it is at a normal time. No need for that much. Oh dear, thank I am worried about weigh in.:break_diet:

Doreen, I understand your fear of weigh ins. I used to be petrified whether I had a good week or bad. Since I stopped going to the group and weighing at home I am not finding it so stressful. As long as you can keep going to the WIs every week at least you know where you are and how you are doing. Burying our heads in the sand does us no good. I hope that being in this group and hearing how others are doing and how we cope with the inevitable ups and downs, will help you stay strong and deal with whatever those pesky scales tell you.

Being away from home is creating additional stumbling blocks for you. Just do your best to try and at least maintain until you get home. Maybe you could start planning your meals and cooking that you will do when you get home. Looking forward to a good, organised week might help you until then. Planning ahead is what works best for me. Not having to decide at short notice what I am going to eat makes it so much easier and stress free.

If you need some ideas for meals or recipes for batch freezing just ask! I even batch freeze portions of rice. Makes it so easy when you don't feel like cooking and want dinner in a hurry.

On the fizzy drink subject I have been drinking mainly fizzy plain water. I often drink diet coke in the afternoon at work but haven't noticed any sugar craving from that. In fact I don't really get sugar cravings at all since starting SW. My weakness is more for carby things like bread.

I don't drink tea anymore except to be sociable. I drink ginger tea for my stomach (very few probs there now) and fizzy water and the occasional Bovril. Bovril is nice when you feel hungry and are waiting for dinner to cook! Like a soup starter.

During the night and with my morning tablets I drink sugar free squash. Upndown, I would imagine the sweeteners in that could have the same effect you speak of.

Do you find that when you get into drinking lots that your body demands more? Thats what happens to me. Its like your body starts working better and your thirst mechanism is able to work properly.

It is 7am. If I get up now I have time to make the leek and potato soup before i go to work!

Good morning Everybody. Ive just been catching up on all the posts. There always seems to be one of us awake and writing . I am up and waiting for a builder to arrive. Thank you all for your kindness and kind wishes over my hassle with this sale. I really appreciate it. I hope everyone has a good day. Mo:)

Good morning Lj. I hope you have a good day too. Did you make the leek and potato soup?

Morning all

I am DETERMINED to catch up on this thread tomorrow night when I've the house to myself and no pesky work getting in the way. In the meantime, Happy Thursday to you all, the weekend is just sniffing-distance away!

Wow LJ making soup first thing in the morning. Very keen. :) Ginger tea. I am guessing it is one of the packets you can buy. Off to Sainsbury to get some chicken for dinner so will look for that. It may help the bloating. I feel bloated now, but also am hungry. Gonna wait for brekkie.

CJ It does help being in this group and hearing about others feeling the same. I have thought about putting a loss down in the past even when not. Never have but wanted too. You have made me feel better about that.
I have already got the cabbage & broc & potato ready to put on tonight. It is what I usually do at home and did the first week I was here, but 2 weeks is a lot. Unavoidable though.
Freezing rice, never done that. Some ideas would be useful. Thank you.

Good morning everybody, or did I say that earlier this morning when putting wet sheets in the machine lol.

On the fizzy drink subject I have been drinking mainly fizzy plain water. I often drink diet coke in the afternoon at work but haven't noticed any sugar craving from that. In fact I don't really get sugar cravings at all since starting SW. My weakness is more for carby things like bread.

I don't drink tea anymore except to be sociable. I drink ginger tea for my stomach (very few probs there now) and fizzy water and the occasional Bovril. Bovril is nice when you feel hungry and are waiting for dinner to cook! Like a soup starter.

During the night and with my morning tablets I drink sugar free squash. Upndown, I would imagine the sweeteners in that could have the same effect you speak of.

Do you find that when you get into drinking lots that your body demands more? Thats what happens to me. Its like your body starts working better and your thirst mechanism is able to work properly.

It is 7am. If I get up now I have time to make the leek and potato soup before i go to work!

Hi - knew as I posted about diet drinks - I hadn't explained properly!!!! I'll try again!!

What I shd have said is that having drunk the sugary tasting diet drink our body then expects some calories (any kind not just sugary stuff) but doesn't get them so then the body creates hunger pangs - still not a scientific explanation but hope u get the meaning - just ignore this if not!!

Yes I agree - when I drink more (which is a chore sometimes!) I seem to need more which is a good thing - but not sure I'll be able drink lots consistently!!

Upndown, Are you going to bed late or up early like me. Flynn wet the bed so had to take sheets etc off the bed, change him and myself. He is now asleep and I am still awake so decided to put the bedding in the machine, catch up a bit then back to bed.

CJ, Sorry about your gain. You do n`t sound like your chin is on the floor. Good for you. I think I will get some melon or pineapple to cut up too. I have been good with my food but I usually have lots of broccoli, cabbage and BNS/carrot soup but have not this week. I guess because I am tired and can`t be bothered to do it. 2 weeks with the children is quite hard. I have found it quite difficult this week. Should be going home Friday.

LJ your meals do sound lovely. When I am back home I am going to do some more batch cooking. Difficult to fetch here with me as very little room in fridge & freezer. Hope your new motovation helps you along.

Mo hope your house problems get sorted really soon, such stress sorting that sort of thing.

My weigh in hopefully in the morning. Bit of a problem has arisen so may not get there which is a bit of a pain as I am sure I have put on. There is a class on Saturday so may have to go to that one.
I am well known for having a good loss one week then putting on the next. Scares me a bit.But being on LJ`s thread with all you lovely people helps me not to shy away from it. Sh*t happens and I have to face up to it.

Hi Doreen - know exactly where ur coming from about gaining/losing - my sign in name says it all! But as u say - I'm so glad I found LJ's thread and really appreciate the support here - it keeps me going - I've never been on a diet as long before without gaining - losing lots of times then giving up (& heavier)!

I feel for u being tired looking after the children for 2 weeks - as my husband and I say - there's a reason why u have ur children young! I hope u have a well deserved relaxing weekend.

Agree too that CJ ur coping with ur gain really well! And great to have LJ posting all her helpful info again.

Mo I'm sorry to hear abour ur further probs with the house sale - it's a really stressful time so u are doing well to stay on plan and I feel for u that u've sts the same - so frustrating and wonder if like me when that happens - that u feel like giving up - yet I realise it's NOT the answer!!!

I've just had the final statement from the solicitor who was the Executor of my late mother's estate - £13,860 :eek: (she wasn't a millionaire by any stretch!) I realise there was a lot to do selling her little house etc but when I had a meeting with him about the will he said the cost wd be approx. £5,000 so will have to ask about that - undoubtedly it will be right but what a difference - can't face phoning today!!

Yes u've spotted I'm not sleeping v well at the moment - one of my son's is unwell and it's on my mind - he's 32 but u never stop worrying about them do u?

And having had my treat day yest - I was really full - yet whilst I was up in the early hours I raided the cupboards and ate half my body weight it brazil and hazelnuts WHYYYYYYYYY???

Anyway - back on today - but it concerns me when I have a wobble that I'll fall off the wagon completely so lacking confidence right now - but have promised myself to keep coming here for support - it's not been the best week for this thread for most of us has it?

Last edited:
I think we should all have Upndown as our middle names.
Also you are right about children that no matter how old you still worry about them. My eldest is coming up to 49 my youngest - who gives me the most worry - is 43 this year. -----gosh I am getting old----- don`t feel it most of the time, just a bit of backache.

I think that what makes me so tired is being in a different house, different bed, always a child in my bed. - which I love of course. It may be with my son & DIL but it still is not my place where I live on my own and do exactly as I please. The children are no trouble so long as you look at the Ipad, play some board games and preferably lose lol.

This is the only `diet` I have been on and not put it all back on again and more also. This is way I try to go every week as the same as you I really cannot afford to give up.

Best wishes everyone for a better week this week. Be it Fri or Sat I will let you know my result.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone. It's me again. I totally agree with you Upndown- things may be tough on our diets at times but the support on this thread is fantastic. I learn more, get more tips and recipes and such brilliant support from all of you. I find this thread far better than any group I have ever been to. Thank you

Back