Loathing exercise . . does it last?

Brightonrosie

I want to be fitter again
Hi I have decided to up the ante and get some serious exercise in my life. I went for a trial at a gym and hated every second of it. Has anyone else started by hating it and then finally getting a buzz from it. I didn't mind some of the cardio stuff for 2 minutes at a time. The session just pulled every muscle in my body and left my arms and legs shaking and my knees aching. I can't swim so that isn't an option and I don't like walking the streets in the dark after work. Any help, tips, motivational lectures and sympathy all welcome Thanks guys xxx

I'm not all that keen to be honest but a couple of years ago I really started liking the gym after initially not feeling the love!

Have you thought about a class? Something gentle like yoga to start with? I am in Hove and there are alot around here!

I'm going to start going swimming once a week in the evening - you'd have been welcome to join me but I see you don't like to swim.

Do you have a friend who would go to the gym with you maybe? Having some company may make it more bearable?

Aerobics can be a good laugh if you find the right instructor.

Also fantastic for taking your mind off your problems, you can't think about anything other than the move sequence!

I'm not all that keen to be honest but a couple of years ago I really started liking the gym after initially not feeling the love!

Have you thought about a class? Something gentle like yoga to start with? I am in Hove and there are alot around here!

I'm going to start going swimming once a week in the evening - you'd have been welcome to join me but I see you don't like to swim.

Do you have a friend who would go to the gym with you maybe? Having some company may make it more bearable?
Thanks. I might try to find swimming lessons as i like mucking about in water but not getting my face wet or being out of my depth . x

I found that I loved the weights! (I've always been quite strong) but hated the treadmill, and wasn't keen on the cross trainer at first. I liked the bike, but for the first few weeks my legs didn't feel as if they belonged to me. Then that went away and I began to enjoy sweating :eek: and the buzz I got after a workout. What I think is that you have to find the right gym. Some of the young assistants seem to think that women of a certain age can do just as much as someone in their 20's and don't make any allowance. Our local gym has a big drive to get the over 50's in and thoroughly assess you first and keep a close eye on everyone. Pity I can't afford to go any more. Thank goodness for my Wii!
Nice to see you posting Rosie xx

I found that I loved the weights! (I've always been quite strong) but hated the treadmill, and wasn't keen on the cross trainer at first. I liked the bike, but for the first few weeks my legs didn't feel as if they belonged to me. Then that went away and I began to enjoy sweating :eek: and the buzz I got after a workout. What I think is that you have to find the right gym. Some of the young assistants seem to think that women of a certain age can do just as much as someone in their 20's and don't make any allowance. Our local gym has a big drive to get the over 50's in and thoroughly assess you first and keep a close eye on everyone. Pity I can't afford to go any more. Thank goodness for my Wii!
Nice to see you posting Rosie xx
Hi Judi
and thank you. I am now aching all over from yesterday and my daughter asked me what warm down did I do with the trainer . . . er none !! straight from chest press to home. I did the same circuit as people who had been going for months. So 1.5 minutes on everything. My poor arms could not manage more than a minute of continuous reps. What do you find most beneficial on the Wii.? Hope this finds you well xx

Hi Judi
and thank you. I am now aching all over from yesterday and my daughter asked me what warm down did I do with the trainer . . . er none !! straight from chest press to home. I did the same circuit as people who had been going for months. So 1.5 minutes on everything. My poor arms could not manage more than a minute of continuous reps. What do you find most beneficial on the Wii.? Hope this finds you well xx

Sounds like you need to find another gym, or complain to that one, because clearly you were not looked after properly. If this was a trial session, someone should have been monitoring you to make sure you did the right things.

Sounds like you need to find another gym, or complain to that one, because clearly you were not looked after properly. If this was a trial session, someone should have been monitoring you to make sure you did the right things.
It was the trainer who said keep going don't stop. i told her I hadn't exercised for years !!!! Will not be going back there

I don't exercise at the gym but do exercise at home.

At first I hated it too. It was a chore to make myself exercise. However now I love it and look for extra ways of exercising. like walking more, more strenuous ways of doing my housework.

I am very fortunate that we have a good sized pool ( and I am giving all this up to come back to England !!) so agree about the water . There are special , really good water exercises you can do.

I will find them for you and post them in this thread.

Stick with it. It does become a pleasure. I think you were just very unlucky with your choice of gym.

I hate excercise too - i will make any excuse in my head not to do it!! haha! But - have you tried Zumba? its a class, its so much fun and you get such a brilliant work out from it. if you go on the fitness and excercise part of the forums, there is a thread about it. :) xxxx

It was the trainer who said keep going don't stop. i told her I hadn't exercised for years !!!! Will not be going back there

I have met trainers like that - the ones who aren't really listening to you. To be avoided at all costs!

I have a lovely trainer who always asks me how I am feeling and if I have any problems - the slightest sniffle, or twinge in my knee, or anything wrong, and my programme is amended instantly. He works me very hard, and knows that I will try anything, but if I say I have to stop, or I really can't do something, then we stop.

Obviously it takes time to build up this kind of relationship, but he listened carefully to me from day one, and I knew I could trust him.

If you're not too keen on exercise I'd recommend a Wii, do you have a friend you can borrow one from so you can see what they are like.

Are you able to go walking on your lunch? I often go for a walk in my lunch hour or in the evenings, but I put my ipod on & have a nosey at peoples houses:D

Or you could do a little cycling on your day's off.

Hi I would suggest swimming as a great all-round exercise. If you can't swim then why not learn?

As for the walking - yes the dark nights are a pain. I'm a bloke, so it is easier for me to go out in the dark but not over my favourite fields etc as too dark to avoid puddles/ditches etc.

Could I suggest a walking buddy or two perhaps? - a few people from your SW group for example?

Secret is, I think, to do something yo might enjoy rather than endure.

Steve

Hi there,

I am a gym instructor and deputy manager of a leisure centre.
Believe it or not I can't think of anything worse than working out in a room full of sweaty people!
However I try not to think about it, put my Ipod in and run to the music- the music motivates and inspires me to do well! I like up-beat and fast music- if this is something your in interested in then you can buy CD's for running, such as 101 Running Songs. Well worth it!

I also do the same with walking- the music determines whether you power walk, possibly jog or just walk normally!

Hope this helps you, im sure that you will find something that motivates you. A lot of people see exercise as a chore before theyve even tried it and this perception stays with them throughout their journey. However, if you try to take a fresh approach, perhaps treat yourself after a certain amount you do or even buddy up then im sure you will do well!

Regards

Ruth
(I also have a Wii Fit plus which is wonderful!)

Back