Looking for a really nice low carb recipe

Caz

Repeat Offender
My boyfriend is doing Exante (a VLCD) but is coming to visit me this weekend and has decided to have a meal on the Friday and Saturday night. I was thinking that if I make it relatively low carb then he's likely to stay in ketosis or be not far out of it. I do calorie counting so I know how to make things low calorie but I don't really know about low carb. It'll be our first home cooked meal rather than out so I want to make something really nice. Any suggestions? It can be up to 10g of carbs.

Last edited:
I would go for a lamb or pork chop with cauliflower mash and string beans - the recipe for cauli mash is all over the internet - and it is absolutely delicious. I add a clove of roasted garlic to give it even more flavour. Butter your string beans and pan fry your chop. Pile it up in a bit "stack" he will think you are a chef :)

I can't really help you with the low calorie aspect as I am afraid most Atkins recipes seem pretty hellish to calorie counters (they did to me initially but now it works id never go back to low fat!)

Last edited:
I'm not too bothered about the low calorie bit as I can work the calories in to my day either by eating less during the day or doing more exercise :) It's the fat aspect of Atkins that puts me off!

I might give cauliflower mash a go at some point this week, see if I like it first. I used to hate cauliflower! Thanks for the idea :)

My OH HATES cauliflower too but he LOVES Cauli mash - it's all we have now and he isn't on Atkins. Can understand why the high fat puts you off but on Atkins eating fat burns fat - and it works. It took me a while to get my head around it as I came from Weight Watchers but I am glad I did :)

the cauliflower mash is fabulous and it doesn't taste like cauli, its like proper mash (I put a drizzle of cream and a pinch of grated cheese in mine) and has the consistency of proper mash too, its fab!! :D

I might give it a try, thanks :)

There's a recipes thread in the stickies at the top there, have a look.

I've been slow roasting things recently, with great success. Pork shoulder, whole chicken, lamb shank. Might be a bit loooong to wait for dinner though.

Baking or pan-frying salmon with a cream sauce is quicker and very tasty, serve with whatever veg you like (I use green beans).

I'm going to do the pork and cauliflower mash with green beans. Still got a few more calories to fill though, what other veg do you think would be good that's low carb?

If you look on the sticky there are lists of all the low carb veg - maybe you could cook your pork with some chopped onions - will make the gravy taste nom :)

Turns out that I should be aiming for under 10g of carbs in each meal, the pork, cauli mash and string beans is 15g and so is the chicken and broccoli stir fry I had planned. Back to the drawing board then!

When I was doing my add a meal weeks I kept it fairly straightforward, chicken and salad being a favourite, when you are on the sachets, ANY food just tastes so good, so don't worry about being too creative xx

Roast chicken is both lean and low carb. roast some carrot and boil some broccoli to go with it and use the chicken juice with a bit of bisto as a thickener for gravy. If you want a carb sustitute, celariac is good mashed, though i don't know what carbs it will be.

Bare in mind, if he has been doing a VLCD he will probably not be able to eat very much anyway especially if he has been on a liquid diet!

X

Thanks for all the advice, has really helped.

I made pork, apple and sage burgers yesterday, with fine beans, broccoli and salad. Today I'm making salmon and prawn in a ricotta sauce with courgette 'linguine' which I found on the thread here.

I'm afraid it all got eaten! They seemed to be a success though :)

Back