Looking for diet help

Dylankane

So first of all, I'm not here for weight loss tips, I can't put weight on if I try! And i definitely don't undereat. I'm trying to transition to a more balanced diet, where each plate is half veg(excluding starchy veg), quarter protein, and another quarter carbs. I'm doing this, well I have no idea why.. because there may be advantages I guess?

My current diet(when I'm not doing this):
Breakfast: granola with milk (450 kcal)
Lunch: pasta with tomato sauce (600 kcal)
Dinner: pasta with tomato sauce (600 kcal)

Now the meals on the healthy diet are in theory the exact amount of calories, so I should have the same amount of energy right? Completely wrong, no brain energy at all, I struggled to even read my uni books so I'm here to basically ask why is a healthy diet stopping me from being able to read ect? All I've done is swapped over to more veg. I'm bilingual(French teacher) and I felt it very difficult to form arguments in my second language on this diet. On day 3 I had awful stomach pains as well... so what the fudge is happening? Like what the heck

So first of all, I'm not here for weight loss tips, I can't put weight on if I try! And i definitely don't undereat. I'm trying to transition to a more balanced diet, where each plate is half veg(excluding starchy veg), quarter protein, and another quarter carbs. I'm doing this, well I have no idea why.. because there may be advantages I guess?

My current diet(when I'm not doing this):
Breakfast: granola with milk (450 kcal)
Lunch: pasta with tomato sauce (600 kcal)
Dinner: pasta with tomato sauce (600 kcal)

Now the meals on the healthy diet are in theory the exact amount of calories, so I should have the same amount of energy right? Completely wrong, no brain energy at all, I struggled to even read my uni books so I'm here to basically ask why is a healthy diet stopping me from being able to read ect? All I've done is swapped over to more veg. I'm bilingual(French teacher) and I felt it very difficult to form arguments in my second language on this diet. On day 3 I had awful stomach pains as well... so what the fudge is happening? Like what the heck

Pasta always makes me feel a little sluggish? Maybe look into different lunch ideas? And a mid morning snack - fruit or something to help you concentrate.

Hi Dylan,

You are only eating 1650 calories a day. You probably need about 2000, unless you are only 5ft tall. You can work out your base level calorie needs here http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Looks to me like you should have more protein too, to build up your muscle density

If you are eating more veg try to drink a bit more too, to help it go through your bowels

Last but not least if the pains continue then see your doctor

Last edited:
Hi, your lack of brain energy might not be to do with your protein/carb/veg proportioning. Have you tried increasing your omega 3 intake. If you're not a fan of oily fish, a supplement might help. We often look to blame carbs, but if your carb portioning is correct, as it looks like it is, your brain fog might be down to something else. Also worth having a chat with your GP, have your blood/iron levels checked? Process of elimination, but hope you find the answer soon

Hi Dylan, I would just be careful about asking for advice here, there are lots of people eating wierd stuff to lose weight, better to ask your doctor's surgery if you can speak to a nutritionist. Definitely speak to your doctor if your memory problems or stomach ache continues. Phone 111 if it gets really bad. Samantha

Back