Loose skin??

Hello everyone, I have a burning question which I've been seriously worried about. I have just completed my first week and lost 3lbs (yay). I weigh 15.8 and would like to get down to 10.7 stone. However, I'm terrified of having loose skin. I'm only 27 and have been overweight and hiding under baggy clothes all through my twenties so far, and don't want to have to continue to hide myself because of excess skin. Would like to wear the young clothes I feel I have missed the chance to wear! Can anyone who has lost a lot of weight share their experiences? Thank you!!

I've lost almost 2.5 stone, but bearing in mind I'm 60 next year! :eek: I really don't have much excess skin! My bingo wings are firming up quite well. but my inner thighs are rather squidgy! At your age I would massage some firming cream/lotion into your wobbly bits. You have age on your side, (oh woe is me!) tho I shan't let it get mr down!

Another pound and I've lost 6 stone and I'm 52 years old. I haven't got excess skin at all.
I think some people have problems with this but I agree with Judimac, as you are young your skin should be more elastic and will shrink to fit more (IYKWIM).
I think it's a good idea to start with the firmimg body oil/lotion though to make sure.
Well done on your 3lb loss and good luck for the rest of your weight loss. This is a great board as you probably already know, it will keep you going when the going gets tough!

Hi! It depends on a number of things like age, heredity, skin elasticity, how much weight you lose and how fast you lose it. But as 27 I don't think you should have any problems as your skin hasn't really started losing elasticity yet. I would recommend exercising as well, as this will help tone everything up too.

to be honest i think it comes dwn to how quickly you loose the weight. i went to school wiht a girl who was 16stne at 12 years old, pretty much got down to about 9 stone (which i have to say was worryingly thin considering she was 5'9) and all that in just about a year!! i know she had very loose skin and was wanting to have an operation to remove it however i dont know if she did

As others have said it depends on your skin. I'm 23, and started at about your weight. After 2.5 stone I have no loose skin AT ALL. A girl at my group who is a few years older than me and has lost 3 stone so far was saying last week her skin is really loose, but she has had 3 kids, which has made her skin less elastic.

I like to think that swimming has definitely helped my tummy skin stay tight, as well as cocoa butter and bio oil which I use in my baths and before bed abuot 3 nights a week.

Good luck with the weight loss journey.

Emma xXx

I'm 29 and I use St. Ives firming lotion 4 times a week, and normal moisturiser the rest of the time, i'm doing this because I had the same worries as you.

So far it's working really well, my huge double chin and bingo wings are tighter even though I've only lost 12lbs, that's where you can see it and the skin is nice and tight with no sagging.

Good luck with your weight loss, and I think the real answer is just keep moisturising your skin everyday.

Toni. xx

Your story is similar to mine, I'm also 27 and spent all my 20's hiding away and denying to myself that I had nearly 10 stone to lose lol! But having lost 6 1/2 stone I do notice some squidgy bits and I have very bad saggy skin on the underside of my arms that will not firm up no matter how many firming lotions I put on or how much exercise I do.
However I don't think I'll really see the damage until I get to my target weight and if it still bothers me I intend to have surgery to have it taken off. Some people find they don't really care about a little bit of loose skin once they've achieved what they set out to but it's depressing me as it is and I've still got 3 stone to lose.

Good advice given here on this one and I'd back it all up - I've got some loose skin but not as much as I used to! I've got children and after each prengnancy thought I'd definitely NEED to get a tummy tuck! However, I've done lots of toning exercises, used body firming butter (the only "butter" I actually buy now - lol) and it is actually decreased the loose skin - and I've lost nearly 6st with SW.

I'm much older than you too, so there IS hope - I'd advise you to take heed now of your "fears" and try to diminish the chances of the skin loosening, by toning up as you lose the weight.

Best o'luck'n'stuff!

Thank you all for your helpful replies!! My weight goes mainly on my tummy, I've been asked if when I'm due (!!) a few times over the years, which devastated me, but my arms are thin, so I'm just worried I will be left with folds of skin on my stomach, as it already has stretch marks on it. I will try all your suggestions though!!! Thanks again!

My stomach is covered in stretch marks, but as yet no loose skin... Well done for thinking about it before hand though hun.. as has been said, you can try to prevent it happening now you have. :)

Drinking water apparently helps too ... I think you are young enough to get away with not having any loose skin... please don't let the worry of that put you off losing your weight though as being slim and good luck on your journey

Watched Fat Doctor on Sky this afternoon and there was a woman on there who had lost 6 stone and she had bad bingo wings even though she exercised, she had an operation to have it removed and the scar was really good and hardly noticable; think that's what I will do if I cant get rid of mine, along with tummy tuck, face lift, and a full body lift ................lol

Hello, i had a tummy tuck nearly 12 weeks ago to remove the loose skin on my stomach.

I was just over 19 stone and dropped down to 10 4 at my lowest ever weight and mainatined this for just over 4 years. I am too 27 and wasn't always overweight, i put it on over a couple of years and my skin stretched quite badly.

No matter how many sit ups, crunches or toning exercises i did it wouldnt shift the saggy skin on my belly.

Everyone is different and i executed the only option available to me after several years of hard work.

You will have to wait and see what happens when you get closer to your target weight. If im honest, when i initally lost the weight it was really bad and then it got a little better over a 4 year period but i was still left with sagging and i was bothered about it so i had the TT to rectify.

Hope this helps :)

I have put on and lost 5 stone twice during pregnanies when I was 33 and 31. I don't have any stretch marks. I lost it all after wards and some, and had a tight tummy then. I ahve now put on 2 stone again, which I am trying to lose, and hope I can do ths again. I ahve no stretch marks at all, and I'm hoping my tummy will go back again. Time will tell. All you can do, is wait and see, do what you can now, and know that loose skin is better than 6 stone of excess weight. You will be able to do something about it.

Lynda

As long as you don't lose to rapidly and do some exercise you should be fine.

xx
Stephanie

Im 34 (well almost) and so far have lost 7 stone. I have found that by doing exercises and swimming all the loose bits are being toned up. Im never going to be a bikini babe, have too many stretch marks and scars for that, but I dont want a tummy that touches my knees either! Lol

I had a child quite late in life (37) via an emergency CS. My tummy makes me giggle actually (if I didnt do that I would cry...!) I have this really weird, sort of "stuck on jelly" on my tummy just above my CS scar. Its a lovely oval shape as well! I am almost at target at just over 10 stone, but my tummy is just bizarre! I have never been able to get it to tone up, so I figure I'm 41 now, I'm not likely to wear a cropped top again, so I will have to live with a stuck on jelly for a tummy..! :)

A couple of ladies from our class have had very big weight losses, 5 stone, and almost 10 stone I believe and I dont think either of them have loose skin. This was one of my concerns because i started out more or less the same weight as you and want to be the same target weight so i asked the same question and was told if you lose weight ridiculously fast thats when the loose skin scenario comes in. I have been losing between 1-2 pounds a week ( with the exception of my first few weeks in which the weight came off faster) which I am happy with, and so far other than shrinking a couple of clothes sizes I am not noticing a change in my skin! :D

The reason why you shouldnt have loose skin..not only from age, is because the weight loss is a gradual process and not something that happens really quickly.

Back