Losing heart and thinking about giving up

meadowbankles

Silver Member
:wave_cry:Hi guys. I've reached the point where I'm thinking about giving up. This is how my weight loss has gone from day one:
week 1 - 3.5 off (EE)
week 2 - 1.0 ON (no idea why EE)
week 3 - 1.5 off (EE)
week 4 - 1.0 off (EE)
week 5 - 3.0 ON (after a special holiday, took it on the chin as well deserved :))
week 6 - 0.5 ON (EE no idea why)#
ADVISED BY CONSULTANT TO TRY RED DAYS
week 7 - 4.0 off - ECSTATIC
week 8 - 2.0 off - think I've found what works
week 9 - 1.0 ON - no idea why, back down in the dumps
week 10 - 1.0 off
week 11 - 0.5 off
week 12 - lost the plot after a girly holiday and gained 2 over two weeks
So - I have lost the total sum of a measly 6lbs and I'm so disheartened. I'm on a 12 week medical thingy which means I'm getting meetings and an exercise class free and I have 5 weeks left. I'll keep it up for those 5 weeks but am seriously considering just throwing in the towel after that. I keep seeing people in my class losing big numbers week after week and THEN they start going on about the takeaway they had, the curry they had, the fish and chips and I'm listening to all this incredulously. I'm afraid I've become a bit of a tutter and a scowler :eek:
A few years a go I lost 41lbs relatively easily with WW, but it's all crept back on and since then I've struggled to lose an ounce. I went to the docs about it a couple of years ago, referred me to see somebody at hospital who prescribed metformin but it made me so ill I couldn't take it. By the way, the doc at hospital rather condescendingly told me that "it is a fact, Mrs Smith, that if you eat less and exercise MORE, you will lose weight" - erm, well I beg to differ :mad:
Sorry, this has turned into a bit of a rant, but I just don't know where to go from here.

The Dr is right, sooooo lets have a look at whats been going on sweetie. Coz you have done it before and YOU CAN DO IT :)

Now then, youve had a few wobbles, but so what, are you really going to let a few mealsley gains get in the way of the BIGGER goal?!

Posting a food diary could be really helpful. Also rememebr that 4lb loss after you tried a red week? what did you do that week that has been different from this week? Think back to that week, and replecate it. Measure and syn everything, back to basics is the key. Remeber how you felt with that loss, was a great no?

Also have you noticed a pattern to your unexplained gains? I have, every 4 weeks or so a small gain, could this been related to your * week?

Anyhoos, dont give up girl, its not over till I start singing ;)

Thanks for your replies, guys. I've not been guessing anything. My scales are out at home to weigh healthy extras, I've got scales at work, I track online on the SW website (so I can't have too many HEX or free food that's not "free" iyswim). I've given in food diaries to my consultant and I've even emailed a daily diary to her (at her request) - she's ok'd them all. I've tried no syns, some syns, more syns.
It's the very fact that I've done it before and I'm struggling to this extent this time that makes me think there is something more to it than me "not doing it right" and comments like the one I got from the hospital doctor don't help. Even the nurse who was in the room said he was a ****head when he walked out because I started crying. The one thing that DID make me feel a little better was when I went for a follow up appointment and saw a different guy who sat back, looked me up and down, smiled and then said "Oh. You've taken me aback a bit, I was expecting a large lady, but you look ok to me." Probably just his clever bedside manner, but it gave me a boost :)
When I lost the 41lb with WW and then gained it again, I never once stopped going to class - and I joined SW straight from WW without a break.
I'm just soooooo frustrated. I'll put a diary on in the section on here and I'd be pathetically grateful for ANY feedback that anybody can give me.

yes well spotted chicaloca it could be your star week.

don't give up, i went through this last week, i had my first gain after weigh in of been on plan for 2 weeks and had a gain, i was so disheartened i was just wanting to say bugger it and scoff anything and everything.

after a few days of licking my wounds i got myself motivated (thanks to wonderful advice on here and support), and so will you.

6llb loss may not be what you wanted but it is still a good loss.

dint give up, try this exercise programme,it could be just what you need to get things kick started. we are all here for you encouraging you on.

you can do this come on girl Christmas is coming:D

You know what I would do - shake it up. Use the next five weeks to REALLY throw some variety in there. Red week, speed food week, push water week, fish week, scanbran week. Dont let your body get fooled into complacency. Do a week of alternate red/green, or red/ee, or green/ee. The options are limitless.

One other thing to think about is - other than your eating, how is your headspace? Are you down, depressed, lively, happy, feel focussed, desperate, feeling sad?

Mindset can make a massive difference to your weightloss. It is hard to keep a positive mindset when it comes to losing weight because you are hingeing your mindset on what the scale says. How about focussing on the fact that you are eating a great, healthy and varied diet and that you are doing things that will improve the wellbeing of your body and mind.

If you were put on metformin, were you given a diagnosis of something specific? I know its used to treat PCOS, and PCOS is a swine if you are planning to lose weight, it makes it extra hard, and therefore you have to be extra determined.

Also remember, you have some weight to lose, but not a very high amount. People who have more to lose, tend to lose more even without seeming to try as hard. Dont compare yourself to anyone else, it is counterproductive because they are not in your body and you are not in theirs.

You can do this, and we can help you - but first you need to drag the determination to achieve this out of the dusty cupboard, clean it up, put it back in its place and not set a timescale for when it needs to be done by.

I'm 43 and it's all over the place at the moment :( Used to have a regular but short 21 day cycle, now it could be anything. :sigh:

My stars are all over the place too (I'm 42). Just started yesterday after a 30 day gap, the previous 2 months it was 21ish days. Before that only about 2 over a year after coming off depo. Never under estimate how much TOTM affects the scales and your mind.

The scales will be higher and you will probably want to eat more. That's how it is for me anyway. I have WI tonight and am expecting a gain mainly due to TOTM. Last week I lost 4.5, the week before put on 2. Up until these last 3 months when the stars have been making more regular appearances, my weight loss has been absolutely steady and consistent. Now it does it own thing. Just stick with it, ride it out and keep focused on monthly totals rather than weekly figures.

Joining one of the short challenges on here would be good. I do the 8lbs in 8 weeks ones.

One other thing to think about is - other than your eating, how is your headspace? Are you down, depressed, lively, happy, feel focussed, desperate, feeling sad? I've been really upbeat, tbh. It's only really today that I'm really down in the dumps.

Mindset can make a massive difference to your weightloss. It is hard to keep a positive mindset when it comes to losing weight because you are hingeing your mindset on what the scale says. How about focussing on the fact that you are eating a great, healthy and varied diet and that you are doing things that will improve the wellbeing of your body and mind.

If you were put on metformin, were you given a diagnosis of something specific? I know its used to treat PCOS, and PCOS is a swine if you are planning to lose weight, it makes it extra hard, and therefore you have to be extra determined. I was diagnosed with PCOS years ago when I was in my twenties, but I've gone on to have a child since then. I don't display any symptoms at the moment. The hosp did refer back to this and say something about a link between PCOS and insulin hence metformin could help - but I didn't have a single day when I felt well, was headachey and nauseous and generally really crap day after day. I work full time and couldn't function.

Also remember, you have some weight to lose, but not a very high amount. People who have more to lose, tend to lose more even without seeming to try as hard. Dont compare yourself to anyone else, it is counterproductive because they are not in your body and you are not in theirs.

You can do this, and we can help you - but first you need to drag the determination to achieve this out of the dusty cupboard, clean it up, put it back in its place and not set a timescale for when it needs to be done by.
Thanks x

Looking back over your loses, i would say that 3.5lb of that is down to your holiday, overall you have had loses most of the time, no matter how big or small.
Is it possible you are making little errors along the way? Like for instance assuming that a fat free items are all free etc. Most of us make silly mistakes along the way. could you have done the same along the way?
If you have a food diary on here, point me in the right direction please, if not, start one and let me know you have and we will look over if for you too.

Are you eating enough as from what I've read swapping from WW and the point counting over to SW can be hard.

Definately post you food diary on here:)

Also, have you looked at the picture on here to see what 1lb of fat looks like? Look at that and then multiply it by x to "see" how well you've done.

:wave_cry:Hi guys. I've reached the point where I'm thinking about giving up. This is how my weight loss has gone from day one:
week 1 - 3.5 off (EE) - LOSS
week 2 - 1.0 ON (no idea why EE) - MAYBE CHANGE IN CLOTHES??
week 3 - 1.5 off (EE) - LOSS
week 4 - 1.0 off (EE) - LOSS
week 5 - 3.0 ON (after a special holiday, took it on the chin as well deserved :)) - FAIR ENOUGH GAIN
week 6 - 0.5 ON (EE no idea why)# - COULD BE THE CATCH UP FROM PREVIOUS WEEK??
ADVISED BY CONSULTANT TO TRY RED DAYS
week 7 - 4.0 off - ECSTATIC - LOSS
week 8 - 2.0 off - think I've found what works - LOSS
week 9 - 1.0 ON - no idea why, back down in the dumps -
week 10 - 1.0 off - LOSS
week 11 - 0.5 off - LOSS
week 12 - lost the plot after a girly holiday and gained 2 over two weeks
So - I have lost the total sum of a measly 6lbs and I'm so disheartened. - AGAIN OF FALLING OFF PLAN A GAIN IS TO BE EXPECTED

I think if you look at it like this you will see the plan IS working. I think that yes you have had a couple of unexplained gains, but these could be down to simple things like, different clothes, female body, eating before weigh-in??

But it is working as you are having losses. I'd say rather than days whereby you are having non/low syns, try this on a weekly basis, but remember syns are there to be used, so cutting them back at this stage I wouldn't say would be benificial.

I totally agree - try a fish week. Look in the search box for the thread, tonns of recipe idea's & some amazing losses!

I'd say other than that - mix things up weekly, so a red week, a green week etc. For me personally, I lost the majority of my weight on red days, but did do an odd green in the week. Now I am maintaining spot on doing mainly green days.

Don't be dis-heartned, it is working x

Looking back over your loses, i would say that 3.5lb of that is down to your holiday, overall you have had loses most of the time, no matter how big or small.
Is it possible you are making little errors along the way? Like for instance assuming that a fat free items are all free etc. Most of us make silly mistakes along the way. could you have done the same along the way?
If you have a food diary on here, point me in the right direction please, if not, start one and let me know you have and we will look over if for you too.
Thanks. Meadowbankles Motivational Munchies

I think if you look at it like this you will see the plan IS working. I think that yes you have had a couple of unexplained gains, but these could be down to simple things like, different clothes, female body, eating before weigh-in??

But it is working as you are having losses. I'd say rather than days whereby you are having non/low syns, try this on a weekly basis, but remember syns are there to be used, so cutting them back at this stage I wouldn't say would be benificial.

I totally agree - try a fish week. Look in the search box for the thread, tonns of recipe idea's & some amazing losses!

I'd say other than that - mix things up weekly, so a red week, a green week etc. For me personally, I lost the majority of my weight on red days, but did do an odd green in the week. Now I am maintaining spot on doing mainly green days.

Don't be dis-heartned, it is working x

I know it's pathetic, and I'm not a particularly fussy eater, but I detest fish. I keep trying because I know how good for you some fish can be, but it makes me heave.

Just a quick question...what do you prefer out of WW and SW? And what made you move over from WW?

I've done both and although I now prefer SW, if WW works for you, is it worth giving that another go?

Kirsty x
Thanks. This is the problem I'm having. I found I was beginning to have unexplained gains on WW too, and I was stumped by it, especially as I've lost weight successfully through them before. It was this that sent me to my GP a few years ago.
So I decided to try a whole new approach, hence my decision to stop WW (after so many years) and join SW.

Jeepers. Would you believe a client has come into work bearing a HUGE box of Thorntons Classic Collection chocolates for me????
I've put them on the fireplace (we're only a little office) for general consumption and am now trying to ignore them :mad:

Oh you poor thing...just keep offering them to everyone else, until only the rubbish ones are left that you won't want.

Hmmm, that is really strange. Maybe go working properly and get your thyroid checked like shell y says. It can do strange things to your metabolism if it's not working properly.

But don't give up...

Kirsty x

Yeah, I'm thinking about a trip to see the GP nurse for a general going over (blood pressure, cholesterol etc) and mentioning this too wouldn't hurt.

Back