Losing inches rather than pounds?

*Cupcake*

is working hard.....
My losses are slowing after 7 weeks, and although I guess its ok, as I want to lose this time forever, I must confess to a pang of dissapointment on the numbers front. :eek:
I know I've been on plan completely (apart from 2 days when I was a numpty and had 3x HExb by accident). But I also know that being in a cast and (still) on crutches has hampered my exercise routine. So one, kind of balances the other out. :rolleyes:

So today, to save myself from total meltdown after WI, I've tried some of my *old* capri jeans on to see any progress on the actual size front. Now I couldn't even pull these on 7 weeks ago. I couldn't do them up 3 weeks ago, but today they are on, zipped up, and need a belt. They are an 18!! :eek: (And I've been a 20/22 for the last 10 months).

I'm flabbergasted - I must be losing inches rather than pounds and it feels so good to wear something new. (Well not new, but new to wear now!). I admittedly look a bit of a plonker in capri jeans and a cast but I've kept them on regardless :D :D

Anyone else notice their loss in size rather than weight?

(Also thrilled with a work colleague noticing and complimenting this week too :))

xx

Am I alone in this?

Is this unusual then? To be shrinking physically but the numbers staying the same? :(

I even wore a size 16 top yesterday - it just doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

Anyone?

xx

I think our bodies are all different.
Some weight loss shows more on the scales, some in inches, and some a mixture of both.
It seemed to take me forever to get into smaller sizes, and then it was really quick shrinking!
Although weight loss in pounds does count a lot to me, I think I would rather see the inches shrink than the pound weight loss.

I never measured myself when I started SW and now I wish I had for this very reason, because all though I have lost the weight and am in smaller clothes, so must have lost inches, but I look at myself and think I look exactly the same as I did 5 months ago!

I never measured myself when I started SW and now I wish I had for this very reason, because all though I have lost the weight and am in smaller clothes, so must have lost inches, but I look at myself and think I look exactly the same as I did 5 months ago!

I know how you feel... when I look at myself in the mirror I still see the old me, but know I can't be as I was a size 14/16 and now am a size 8/10...also, when I sit, my tum used to sit on my lap and it doesn't any more but I still see the old me..and it's no good my hubby telling me to stop being so silly, it's what I see!

Its just so disconcerting to not see any huge losses lately, yet I do feel considerably different and clearly am smaller (16 on top and 18 below is a huge change from the 20/22 I was 13 lbs ago :confused:).

I guess the numbers mean a lot more to me than I realised :(

I know how you feel... when I look at myself in the mirror I still see the old me, but know I can't be as I was a size 14/16 and now am a size 8/10...also, when I sit, my tum used to sit on my lap and it doesn't any more but I still see the old me..and it's no good my hubby telling me to stop being so silly, it's what I see!

I find this so wierd how we still see the old us.....even though I sometimes take myself by surprise at how different I look I really can't accept that I'm not the size I was! Makes me feel a lot less wierd knowing I'm not the only one!

I pulled on a cropped pair of jeans yesterday, and they fit perfectly! They have NEVER fitted, stuffed to the back of the wardrobe since the day I bought them! This time last year, I couldn't even do them up (well, not if I didn't want to breath at the same time!!!) so yeah, even if the pounds don't do what we want them to do, at least the inches are!

Well done to you too, Cupcake! :) Feels good, doesn't it?

It's not too unusual, that is why I always measure myself as well as weighing - it keeps you motivated when the loss doesn't show on the scales!

If you are exercising it might be because you are gaining muscle as muscle weighs 4 times as much as fat.

i love hearing stuff like this. its great that you ar getting smaller and the inches are far more important than the numbers. you don't go to shops to buy clothes in sizes of stones you buy a 10/12/14 or whatever, not a 12 stone 6lb dress :) well done on getting down to 16/18 from a 22, thats ace :D

It's not too unusual, that is why I always measure myself as well as weighing - it keeps you motivated when the loss doesn't show on the scales!

If you are exercising it might be because you are gaining muscle as muscle weighs 4 times as much as fat.

The irony is that I most definetly have not been exercising after breaking my foot 7 weeks ago! I'm (still) in a big clumsy cast and after some progress I've had a setback and am back on crutches for another 3 weeks!!

Thank you all for the support - its just weird for me to lose this way. I normally lose pounds and pounds and pounds then suddenly it shows. Who knows why?! Maybe the numbers will suddenly catch up!

xx

I would highly recommend taking regular measurements of yourself. Since starting SW I've lost:
*4 inches off my bust - my boobs finally caught up with the rest of my body so size 12 dresses fit all round!
*5 inches off my waist
*4.5 inches off my hips

That's 13.5 inches in total - looking at that amount on a measuring tape is quite shocking!

Annoyingly I am the opposite to OP (very well done by the way). I have lost 2st 6lbs now. When I started I was a size 18 and I am now a size..... 18. It really pee's me off. To be fair, I am wearing different clothes (because of the weather) and I would expect the clothes I was wearing to be very loose now. But, that aside, I am really looking forward to choosing from the front of the rail instead of automatically reaching to the back lol. Maybe I will skip the 16 and go straight for a 14.... lol Here's hoping!!

The weight of the cast will be making you use more calories just getting about! Rest assured unless you are a Russian shotputter you won't add much in the way of weight thro muscle. We just don't have the male hormones to do it! Any initial increase is usually the muscles retaining water, and it all evens out after a few weeks.

I normally lose pounds and pounds and pounds then suddenly it shows. Who knows why?! Maybe the numbers will suddenly catch up!

xx

I think this is probably what will happen - once you've got the cast off and are more mobile again you'll likely see a significant drop down on the scales that seems 'sudden'.

Update:

Without doing anything radically different I'm down 3 lbs this week so I suspect there is a 'lag' internally (But I'm thrilled with the loss as you can imagine :D).

Thanks!

xx :)

Back