Losing the pounds whilst saving the pounds (hopefully!)

Ha ha thanks girls, I was thinking that I'd never heard of sprout curry, probably for a good reason but thought I may make an amazing discovery he he!!

Tuesday 13th December

B - Banana and natural yogurt
L - Mushy Pea Curry and wholegrain rice, orange, kiwi
D - 6 wholegrain Ryvita (heb), value ham (2.5 syns), mixed salad

Coffee throughout the day - skimmed milk (hea)

Syns - advent choc (1) value ham (2.5)

Last edited:
I was on the way home from dropping son off at school and I bumped into one of the elderly ladies who lives across the way. She told me that her husband had died back in September, I thought I hadn't seen him for a while as he used to wave at my son every morning but I didn't want to ask as I know he had altzeimers (sp?) so thought he may just be in hospital. We were chatting for so long that I think I literally froze and had to get in and have a cuppa... it's still in my bones though and my fingers aren't quite working as I type this! Well then, I think that's my day sorted... I think I'll put on a Christmas film and snuggle up on the sofa with the fire on, and I want to do a bit of cooking today. I fancy either a nice curry, chilli or bolognaise... hmm... think chilli may be off the menu though as I have no mince!! Oh well... I'm sure I'll come up with something!!

Went shopping yesterday for a few top-ups and I'm loving natural yogurt, it's only about 90p and a tub (about 500g) lasted me 5 days so it's working out much cheaper than mullerlight and I've had it with berries, banana, apple, curry, and on it's own yummy!! Also bananas are really cheap at the moment, I got a bunch of 6 for 35p yesterday, so don't buy the pre-packed ones at the moment folks or you'll be ripped off lol!!

Well must go TTFN for now xx

Wednesday 14th December - Extra Easy

B - 2 toast (heb and 2.5 syns)
L - Mushy pea curry with a jacket potato, banana and natural yogurt
D - Chicken, potatoes, carrots, green beans, peas, cauliflower, gravy (2 syns), orange

Coffee throughout the day (hea)

Syns - Advent choc (1) LF spread (2.5) gravy (2)

Last edited:
I've just finished a mini shift at work, just 4 hours but I was on the shop floor up and down ladders so it was all good for the body magic! I am looking forward to picking my little man up from school so we can just have an afternoon of snuggling, I love it when there's no plans and you can just relax at home, PJ days are even better!! We will have loads of them planned from Boxing day until 30th December when we have absolutely nothing planned... it's going to be bliss!!

Food wise I am really loving everything that I'm eating and I get very excited thinking about what I can make and eat. I am looking at chocolate though and wanting to eat it so hopefully when I do have a bit it will only be a bit and not a whole packet/ box/ jar etc...

I think I need to have a plan over Christmas so if I plan for a flexi-syn day then it will feel like I'm in control! I think I will pretty much be OK up until Christmas day if I'm honest. I would normally have Christmas Eve off but I am at work 7am-5pm (groan!) so I might just flexi syn in the evening. Definitely going to have Christmas day as a flexi syn day, and then planning to get back onto it on Boxing day (well... that's the plan anyway lol!)

Anyways, I'd best get changed out of my work uniform and go and pick up the little mite... he is in a nativity at the church tomorrow morning so I'd better pack the hankies! Hoping I don't need them for weigh in tomorrow... wish me luck! xx

Well I am very happy to report that I've lost 2.5lbs this week and am now 11st 6.5lbs... I am absolutely thrilled as I've eaten so well this week :)

Here's to another week and hoping for another loss xx

Thursday 15th December - Extra Easy

B - 2 toast (heb) with LF spread (2.5 syns)
L - Cous cous with peas, tomatoes and chopped chicken, orange
D - Chicken, pearl barley and veg soup

Syns - Advent choc (1) LF spread (2.5) fudge (6) crisps (6)

Last edited:
Well done on the loss xx

Friday 16th December - Extra Easy

B - Chicken sandwich! Bread (heb) sweet chilli sauce (1 syn)
L - Chicken, barley and veg soup (that's all the chicken gone now!!)
D -

Syns - Advent choc (1) sweet chilli sauce (1) 2 biscuits! (7)

Last edited:
Hi hun, just been having a flick through your diary. Just wanted to say well done, you're doing really well :D xx

Thank you xx I have started lusting after the choccies but my SW mag has just arrived so I'm going to look through it tonight when I get in from work. Think I need to read some motivational stories to keep me going! I think there may be choccies when I get to work so if I get offered any I think I'll take one and bring it home for my son!!

Oops... well the weekend will definitely be classed as a flexi-syn one! I stuck to my meals but I think my hand was lodged in a Quality Street tin for most of the time! Oh well... not feeling bad about it, what's done is done and starting again today. Think I am pre-menstral too which always leads me to a choccie binge so it's not an unusual occurance!! xx

B - 2 toast (heb) LF spread (2.5 syns)
L -
D -

Syns - Advent choc (1) LF spread (2.5)

Whoops! Well what can I say? It all went a bit wrong ha ha!! My friend bought a big bag of baked goodies for me and they were so good... then myself and my son baked cupcakes and I used this ready made frosting which I'd had in the cupboard for a few months... and they were so good that I think I ate nearly all of them! Then I was given so much chocolate at work from the bosses, my colleagues and customers... by Christmas Day I was fed up of eating and didn't actually eat that much! Weighed in this morning and was 4lbs heavier... but planning on being good for my weigh in on Thursday and will then record the gain (not kidding myself that I'll have a loss lol!)

So today I went around the kitchen and peeled all the remaining veg, put it in a pot with mince, stock, seasoning and herbs, lentils, tinned tomatoes and pasta and OMG it was gorgeous! I have so missed eating well ha ha!!

Hope that everyone has had a fantastic Christmas and here's to a happy and healthy 2012 for all of us! xx

Hi Becky!! I am pleased to see you have come back as I have too :)

As you know, I got down to 10 stone 3 at Easter time but after that it slowly crept back on and I am now well over 11 stone but will weigh tomorrow when I start back on sw. I was 11 stone 1 before the festive indulgence so am worried about what I will weight tomorrow!!

Good luck, I am going to start a food diary too and am hoping I have the motivation I had this time last year. I can't quite believe it has been a year...

Ha ha! Can't believe we are back here again Josie!

Mind you the me last year would have been gutted to have been overweight but this year it's more of a journey I feel like I need to overcome and I think that is a good thing. The last few months I have been asking myself why I overeat and binge and that has helped me a lot... I feel like I'm giving myself self help he he!! Also I'm not stressing about things, I'm back up to a 14 but being a size 12 didn't change my life so when I get back there it will only matter because I can wear all my nice clothes again he he!!

Wishing you well and hope you get back to where you are happy, I look forward to reading your diary again xx

I am pleased for you and looks like you are doing well reading through your diary. You are so good, I kept putting it off until after Christmas!

Right I am starting again and raring to go! 11st 11lbs this morning EEK! I always fail over Christmas but never mind it'll soon come off as long as I stick to plan! Better to start now as a 4lb loss will be 11 and a half stone whereas a 3lb gain will be 12 stone and I know where I'd rather be!

B - 2 toast (heb) LF spread (2.5 syns)
L - Leek and potato soup, apple
D - Chilli con carne with wholegrain rice, banana,

Snack - random bowl of brussels sprouts :)

Syns - LF spread (2.5) 2 celebrations chocs (4)

Last edited:
I just thought I'd do an update on my money saving side of my eating plan. I'm finding that my grocery budget has reduced significantly after my initial outlay of having to get in my herb and spices and cupboard basics. My essentials in the freezer are frozen onions, frozen mushrooms and lean mince (£2 a bag from Iceland). In my cupboard I have dried lentils and pearl barley, spices (mixed herbs, turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala, ground corriander and cumin) and I bought some garlic granules from Sainsburys which add a nice flavour without having to have stinky fingers from the real stuff (and I never ever use a whole bulb). I also keep essentials like beans, chopped tomatoes, kidney beans, mushy peas, rice, pasta, noodles. I am not the world's biggest meat eater and I find it expensive so the only meat I buy is a bag of mince, I have a bag of casserole beef in the freezer but I only use about 6 chunks per recipe so that is lasting for ages. I am finding that recipes taste better withmeat in them but it's the flavour that I like rather that the taste so I just add a little amount to the recipes. I have stocked up on tins of tuna, salmon and sardines as these are cheap and will keep in their tins. Tuna is a real blessing as you can use it for curry, bolgnaise, stir fry etc... I have also been buying a whole chicken from work, it's £4.85 for a large one and I'm quite lucky to get a discount on it as the same size in Sainsbury's is nearly double that! I usually roast the bird and we get a dinner out of it, then I strip all the meat off it and I batch cook things like soup and curry, then use some with cous cous or on sandwiches, sometimes the chicken has made all the meals for 4-5 days!!

I think I may keep a grocery spending record as I love to go onto Money Saving Expert where they have such challenges but I don't want to devote time to another forum as there's so much I want to get done this year. My New Year resolutions are to economise, organise and downsize lol!

So that's my update for now on my money saving xx

Back