Losing the will, but not losing the weight,

NurseAbbers

I've been lurking on this site for a while. I joined a while ago when I started Slimming World, confident that I was going to be able to lose weight and feel healthier. In the first couple of weeks, I lost half a stone, got my half stone award and then.... nothing. I would fluctuate between 14st 7lbs and 15st not losing any more than the original half stone. I followed the rules to the letter, exercising, drinking plenty of water, eating my 5 a day, but wasnt making any progress.

I must add in here that I am 5ft 5ins, and have been overweight all my life, diets aren't new to me. I'm Type 2 diabetic, have been for 10 years, I lost 4 stone in the year after I was diagnosed, so I know I can do it, but working as a Nurse in a busy hospital, 12 hour day shifts and 12 hour night shifts, its hard to plan meals and not over eat.

Going back to Slimming World in January was hard. Just walking in through the front doors was hard enough, but the group leader was friendly and encouraging. It gave me the spark I needed to start my diet. However, being a full time Mum with two other groups to run, she left in Mid April and a new Person took over, and I think that's where my motivation problems took hold.

The Man that currently runs my slimming world group is over 20 stone. Now, this is my honest opinion, and I expect that some people may be offended by this, (and I'm sorry if I do offend, its not my intention) but I don't want to be told how to lose weight by a person who clearly hasn't lost any. I like this site because I feel we are all in it together, encouraging each other with our goals, but to have someone lecture me on what I should and shouldn't be eating to lose weight, when they weigh more than I do, is like one of my nurse colleagues who smokes, instructing coronary patients how to stop smoking. It feels Hypocritical. I really feel bad for feeling this way, but I know that I want to take weight loss advice from someone who has reached (or are reaching) their goal and wants to impart their knowledge to others.

I want to go back to Slimming world, and I've only been officially "off" the diet for 4 weeks, where I have maintained a lovely weight of 14st 12lbs. I think I just need to man up and find a new club.

Sorry to Moan, If this is in the wrong place, again, Sorry.

I know what you mean...the first consultant I had purely someone who was there to issue advice but hadn't experienced the struggles of having a lot of weight to lose...it was important for me to find someone who would actually know what it's like...who have experienced those bad days and can offer support etc.

Try going to a different group, as all consultants are different, when our normal one goes on holiday one of his friends runs group and he does things a little differently, so have a look on the website and find another one nearby and give it a go :) if not maybe try online and keep the motivation with a diary on here?

Yes, different SW groups can have a very different atmosphere depending on the Consultant. I love the group I'm in now but one I went to previously just wasn't for me. The C was very harsh and uber critical which I didn't find very encouraging at all. The one I go to now is very different indeed. She's very warm and caring and so encouraging. So I would defo say try another group - you could be pleasantly surprised.

Back