Lost 4lbs in a year!!!!!!!!

My friend did it and its very strict I don't have the willpower for that one. I'll keep going at this for now and see how it goes :)

No we haven't talked about pasta before but spookily I too picked it up in Asda the other week! I've seen recipes befora but confused orzo with ouzo or okra - both of whicjh I dislike - so never bothered trying it -- doh! Think it would work really well in tomato based soups too.

I tried the HFW recipe tonight as seemed suitable for Green day. I only used a bit of oil and a midge of butter but had to syn the wine and cream - not too bad as I halved it with very low fat fromage frais [which I won't bother with again as it's as sour as natural yogurt]. Added some parmesan shavings too.

Was very nice too - the balsamic mushrooms give a nice tang. Looked very much like risotto but the orzo was ultra quick to cook in comparison - only about 8 mins.

Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's Mushroom Risonnioto

• 2 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil - [i used 1]
  • A knob of butter [i used a tsp]
  • 500g mushrooms (see above), cleaned, trimmed and thickly sliced [i used button and chestnut]
  • 150g risoni or orzo pasta
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • A few sprigs of thyme, leaves only
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  • About 75ml dry white wine
  • About 50ml double cream or crème fraîche [i mixed the two]
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • A good handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to serve

Put a large pan of well-salted water on to boil, so that you’re ready to cook the pasta while the sauce is coming together. [i did this only whilst cooking 2nd lot of mushrooms]

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and half the butter in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat.
Add half the mushrooms and cook briskly,
stirring often, until all the liquid released has evaporated and the mushrooms are starting to caramelise.

Transfer to a dish and repeat
with the rest of the oil, butter and mushrooms.
(Cooking in two batches
like this avoids overcrowding the pan and ensures the mushrooms do not stew.)

When the second batch of mushrooms are nearly cooked, add the pasta to the pan of boiling water and cook until al dente.

Return the first lot of mushrooms to the frying pan. Add the garlic, thyme and balsamic vinegar and cook, stirring, for a minute or two.
Add the wine and cook until there is almost no liquid left.

Add the
cream or crème fraîche, reduce the heat a little and stir until it is just about simmering. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Drain the pasta as soon as it is cooked, add to the mushroom mixture and toss well. Serve scattered with lots of chopped parsley. [and parmesan! HexA]

I meant I had darling daughter number one's cossie and darling daughter number two's cossie .... making 2 cossie's in total for 2 kids .... not sure I could manage one cossie between them !!! lol.

Ah getcha now! Is tomorrow your weigh day LTM? Best of luck to you missus! ps whad does the Half Century avatar mean? I've seen similar ....I'm guessing not your age!

I may have a slight addiction to fry light at the moment but I'm sure the novelty will pass.
Tonight is Gammon steak with parsnip chips, roasted red peppers and a baby spinich salad with toffee rice pudding and banana for pud.

I have a slight mistrust of Frylight but would like to reduce oil consumption a bit. I may start using a spray bottle with my olive oil - think that'd work well for SW chips and for roasted veg. Toffee rice pudding sounds lush! Is that a Muller one? - not spotted it before.

I made a coconut one out of one of the sw cookbooks and it simply wasn't worth the syns so I bought a tub of ambrosia low fat. Much nicer.

Ah getcha now! Is tomorrow your weigh day LTM? Best of luck to you missus! ps whad does the Half Century avatar mean? I've seen similar ....I'm guessing not your age!

The half century is when you've lost 50lb or more you can put one up ... my age .... DD1 says I am 22 :D ...I'm just turned 40...
Weigh in .... 11 stone 9lb .... suit jacket fits but for the trousers I need a few more pounds off. Need to get my ass in gear - 16lb to go until Easter.

You're doing great LTM. Congrats on the jacket and I'm sure the trousers will fit soon.

I was clearing through some very old clothes yesterday and found the teeniest tiniest dress that I used to wear. I would need to be 8st something to wear it, plus 20years younger, but I'm going to keep it just in case :D

You're doing great LTM. Congrats on the jacket and I'm sure the trousers will fit soon.

I was clearing through some very old clothes yesterday and found the teeniest tiniest dress that I used to wear. I would need to be 8st something to wear it, plus 20years younger, but I'm going to keep it just in case :D

Never say never. Although a woman did tell me today that once you turn forty you can't show your knees - spent the last 24 years covering them up and now I've apparently missed the knee deadline! Besides I still have fat knees, hence the kettlebells - my instructor has promised me skinny knees :D.
I'm from hefty stock - my sister has always been skinny and is 6 foot tall but still needs a 12/14 just to get jeans over her hips - but she's really narrow, it's all hip width. So I'll be happy at a fit 12 - at the moment I'm a squishy 12 ...

I'm like a football with arms and legs. All belly and boobs, no bum to speak of. Little green dress very short, would never wear it out, but would quite like to get into it and dance around the bedroom.

So ladies what's for dinner tonight?

I've had syn free falafel, AH morrocan cous cous and a big spinich salad with olives and natural yoghurt and it was yummy.

Dinner was cabbage with parsnips and squash as didn't fancy any meat but then I had .... Cake ... and gingerbread .... my sis sent giant decorate yourself gingermen & choc cake ... Ah well, it's my last blowout - I say again .... I'm getting lazy and complacent, need my ass booting.

Never say never. Although a woman did tell me today that once you turn forty you can't show your knees - spent the last 24 years covering them up and now I've apparently missed the knee deadline! Besides I still have fat knees, hence the kettlebells - my instructor has promised me skinny knees :D.

Knee fat is the last thing I'm worrying about - it's the fat above it sitting on my thighs that's the problem! Well done LTM on weigh-in - really close to goal now - you're going to have a great summer in your skinny-minnie wardrobe!

I genuinely don't know what size I'd like to be. Years ago at GW I was a 12 sometimes 14 but I know sizes are much more roomy now - I had a 27" waist and wasn't even flat belly slim - a 10/12 combo I'd be more than happy with.

Yay to rocking around your bedroom in your green dress bb! I haven't looked at my GW clothes for years - I think it's a good decade and a half out of date!

So ladies what's for dinner tonight?

I've had syn free falafel, AH morrocan cous cous and a big spinich salad with olives and natural yoghurt and it was yummy.

This sounds lovely - yum. I had chilli and rice and 4 Celebrations - which is the least amount of Celebrations I've ever ate in one sitting. Usually I'm just snaffling on them all evening.

Tonight my OH is making his chicken and chorizo pasta - I try to have more chicken but I know there are still several syns in there. I'll add some spinach or rocket in with the pasta.

Back