Loving our bodies

Really good thread - thanks for starting this!

I never loved or even liked my body, was always overweight, even as a kid, have skin problems, extremely thin hair that's getting thinner by the minute and so on. Am shy, not that I don't enjoy talking to people I just think "why should they be interested in what I have to say".

Over the years I resigned myself to the way I look, I'll never be pretty or goodlooking. Period. I have learned to really like my "inner beauty". Sounds silly but I like being on my own and enjoy my own company. At one point I thought I should look at the bigger picture, see the positive sides, be glad that I am healthy (-ish), have a lovely house, a job (oh well, it's a job), friends, hobbies, am independent (maybe too much so)...

At the end of the day my body is the map of my life, shows where I've been, what I've done.

I wish everybody all the best on their way to happiness (ok, am getting tired and a bit sappy ;))

I'm actually probably more critical of my body now than I was before I lost the weight I've lost. Its probably because I take more notice of my body etc but still at the end of the day I think it only matters so much I hate my tops of my arms and the stretch marked bits(or lots!) of my body but have done for a long time but I could be a lot worse so just have to get on with it.

My ex made me feel terrible about my body, told me I was fat, unattractive, unloveable etc and even now I am with an amazing man who loves me just as I am I find it so hard to see why.

There are parts of my body I like; my boobs, shoulders and long legs but that's about it.

What a great thread! I get quite cross/upset with myself that I can not just 'get over' my body hang ups. After losing weight I am still not happy.

I have struggled with my weight since early teens as was always a lot bigger than my friends. Yo-yo dieting has definitely not helped my body. I actually can't remember a time when I have ever been happy with my body, however after having two (beautiful) children and breastfeeding I think it is in a bit of a sorry state!:(

I'm actually probably more critical of my body now than I was before I lost the weight I've lost. Its probably because I take more notice of my body etc but still at the end of the day I think it only matters so much I hate my tops of my arms and the stretch marked bits(or lots!) of my body but have done for a long time but I could be a lot worse so just have to get on with it.

Hi Emsie,

I know exactly what you mean I have stretch marks on my arms, stomach and back from where I lost a lot of weight but they seem to have improved since I started slimming world and I'm going to get some bio oil as I've heard many good reviews about it.

Hope you have a nice weekend.

Aisha xx

This is a brilliant thread ..... Where to start ..... i am starting to like the way i look a bit better but i think there is always something that we are not happy with even if we are ultra slim .... so I try not to beat myself up over things like my droopy tum because its smaller than it used to be .... my droopy boobs ... oh dear ... they are more like knee warmers now!! lol but my hubby still loves them because he loves me .... Ive got scars from operations on my tum so i will never wear a bikini or a short top but Im nearly 38 I shouldnt be wearing them anyway!!! I love my life ... I love my family and they are the most precious thing in my life so sod the wobbly bits and lets get on with the living!!! xxxx

This is a brilliant thread ..... Where to start ..... i am starting to like the way i look a bit better but i think there is always something that we are not happy with even if we are ultra slim .... so I try not to beat myself up over things like my droopy tum because its smaller than it used to be .... my droopy boobs ... oh dear ... they are more like knee warmers now!! lol but my hubby still loves them because he loves me .... Ive got scars from operations on my tum so i will never wear a bikini or a short top but Im nearly 38 I shouldnt be wearing them anyway!!! I love my life ... I love my family and they are the most precious thing in my life so sod the wobbly bits and lets get on with the living!!! xxxx

Very well said Chocolatetrish my sentiments exactly. I'm doing this to eating plan to make me feel good as I have IBS and need to eat a healthy diet the loosing weight bit will be an added bonus for me.

Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Aisha xx

I must be quite lucky, as although I really need and want to lose weight, I can honestly say that when I look in the mirror I don't mind what I see. I see the good bits and miss the not so good bits. I wouldn't say they are bad, just not as good.

And do you know what I do every morning when I am ready for work, I look in the mirror and say 'You look bloody gorgeous!!!!'

My hubby calls it my magic mirror, which we have a good laugh over it.

I know I am probably unusual, but I'm happy with me 'generally' and I think that comes over to other people as well.

This thread made me think of this website:
The Shape of a Mother
It's really inspirational, I could never post a pic on there of my post-baby body but good on the people who do ;)
I've had my 'mummy tummy' since having my children and the youngest is 6 now! Even when I got down to a size 12 2 years ago I could still grab a generous handful of loose skin all the way around my middle! It's always been the body part I hate the most but I wouldn't have my 2 daughters without it so I should be proud of it! :D

It is really cool isn't it :D
Makes you realize that nobody's perfect, we all have our hang-ups no matter what size we are ;)

I must be quite lucky, as although I really need and want to lose weight, I can honestly say that when I look in the mirror I don't mind what I see. I see the good bits and miss the not so good bits. I wouldn't say they are bad, just not as good.

And do you know what I do every morning when I am ready for work, I look in the mirror and say 'You look bloody gorgeous!!!!'

My hubby calls it my magic mirror, which we have a good laugh over it.

I know I am probably unusual, but I'm happy with me 'generally' and I think that comes over to other people as well.

You have a brilliant attitude, awesome!

Just found this thread.....i think i have some body issues.....because i have never been slim in my adult life, i think i was a chubby size 14 always - and i want to be a size 12.

I like my eyes, and my hair - but that really is it. I wear a lot of make up - because i feel ugly without it.

I have the fattest legs ever - and no ankles....but working on both of these by going to the gym....hopefully soon i will see a change.

I have a waist, but rolls of fat above and below. I have a large chest, which is okay (Mr EB to be is a fan!) and a huge dumpy bum!

Also when walking in public places i suck my tummy in at all times. How stupid is that?

I still have a long way to go to target so i am hoping and praying i will be happier when i get closer to my goal.

x

In the past i;ve been diagnosed with BDS sooooo getting me to love me in this state is not going to happen, i think once i start seeing a difference(eg i can fit into my cloths) i will feel happier, though me my body and dieting have always had this love hate relationship. I think this is why i decided to join a group way of loosing weight as well one needs the support at times.

I would loveto say i love myself but currently i cannot but i have high hopes for a few months time when one is a few stones lighter lol

Just to add i love my hair actually i adore my hair, its what i call my crowning glory is nigh on down to the base of my spine and i'm a ginger naturally but i use a lot of henna so its this dark reddish colour at the mo. Oh ok i do love something :D

Back