Low calorie but FILLING lunch options

ChubLock

Silver Member
Lunch and afternoons is where I struggle mostly to keep my daily calories in check. Today I had 50g cous-cous with a tin of ratatouille + a medium banana + a soya yogurt and tbh I could've eaten more but that 525calories for the lot. What do you guys eat for lunch that keeps the calories down but the hunger pangs at bay? Thanks in advance :)

Double post, oops.

Soup is always a good one. You can make your own or buy healthy but filling ones. I get one from Sainsbury's in a carton which is full of chunky veg - it's lovely, and very filling. You can always eat it with a wholemeal roll to bulk it out a bit :)

Or how about a tuna sandwich with salad and lemon juice? Or beans on toast? Adding some protein to your meals helps keep you fuller for longer, apparently (as opposed to just eating carbs).

I tend to eat chicken salads, chickens nice on calories (providing you dont have toooooo much) and you can have a ton of salad too!

Ive been having covent garden soups with a warm pitta bread with a low fat yoghurt for pud.

I find this along with making sure im drinking plenty of water keeps the hunger at bay - and I do allow myself a snack about 3pm of Pom Bears which are low cal crisps.

Protein does it for me. I can have a mountain of lovely salad, but if it doesn't have a decent amount of meat in it, then forget it - I'm hungry again 20 mins later.

For me, I make healthy soups (just buy a couple of cans of chopped tomatoes, cut up some veg, throw in a bit of seasoning and garlic) and then add something like cut up sausages or chicken or lamb. I reckon because you make the base of the soup yourself (as opposed to shop made), with no rubbish preservatives, it means you can be a bit more generous with the meat. That's my experience anyway. MORE MEAT!

I struggle to think of lunches too, particularly at uni coz I can't heat anything/make toast etc!

I'm probably going to stick to salads and cous cous, things I can prepare in advance, with lots of chopped veggies to nibble on as well.

I tend to have mugshots they're about 270 cals and keep me filled up along with some fruit or yog x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I've discovered a new lunch this week thanks to a gym instructor friend of mine who posted a picture on facebook and it looked damn tasty!

Brown rice, how much is up to you. For the calories I gave, I use 50g of dry weight before you cook it. Can do a few days at once and bag it up seperately. (167 cals)
Veg - Asda sell a bag of 4 steam bags of carrot, brocolli and cauliflower which is what I use. (49 cals)
Chicken - some kind of chicken, I mixed some spices to make a fajita seasoning and grilled it on the george foreman, could use ready cooked sliced up chicken though. I use half a chicken breast which is about 75g. (104 cals)
Cheese sauce - sounds odd I know but it works! Gives it a bit more flavour and substance. I use Bisto instant cheese sauce granules, half of the 50ml serving. (21 cals)

So that's a total of 341 calories, only 1g saturated fat, 31g of protein, 40g carbs.

You can package it all up and shove it in the microwave for a minute and a half before you eat it or it works cold too.

caroline g said:
I've discovered a new lunch this week thanks to a gym instructor friend of mine who posted a picture on facebook and it looked damn tasty!

Brown rice, how much is up to you. For the calories I gave, I use 50g of dry weight before you cook it. Can do a few days at once and bag it up seperately. (167 cals)
Veg - Asda sell a bag of 4 steam bags of carrot, brocolli and cauliflower which is what I use. (49 cals)
Chicken - some kind of chicken, I mixed some spices to make a fajita seasoning and grilled it on the george foreman, could use ready cooked sliced up chicken though. I use half a chicken breast which is about 75g. (104 cals)
Cheese sauce - sounds odd I know but it works! Gives it a bit more flavour and substance. I use Bisto instant cheese sauce granules, half of the 50ml serving. (21 cals)

So that's a total of 341 calories, only 1g saturated fat, 31g of protein, 40g carbs.

You can package it all up and shove it in the microwave for a minute and a half before you eat it or it works cold too.

Lol u lost me at cheese sauce! Really? Is it nice? X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I wasn't sure about the cheese sauce either to be honest, I was a bit like wtf?! I think it's pretty good, it's only a little bit of sauce so it's not really that obvious, stops the rice being totally dry though.

380115_10151148206965301_589030300_22244739_738622355_n.jpg

See, really not much cheese sauce in it at all, not obvious. It's tasty, I like it.

I struggle to think of lunches too, particularly at uni coz I can't heat anything/make toast etc!

I'm probably going to stick to salads and cous cous, things I can prepare in advance, with lots of chopped veggies to nibble on as well.

That's what I struggle with too. Though I've discovered that the SU shop has a microwave in it for heating up those nasty microwave burger things so tomorrow I'm going to try and persuade them to let me heat my lunch up in it haha

Soups work too if you get a flask, I know I get bored of salads. Wraps are pretty good as well, they're slightly lower calories than sandwiches but just as tasty. Maybe even more tasty.

That's just reminded me actually that I bought a flask before Xmas and haven't used it yet!

Need to sit down and think about this, gonna get my tesco delivery ordered today full of healthy lunches of course :)

caroline g said:

Sounds great, I'll have to try this!!

Hi there,
iv logged on just to reply to this post!
iv just had my lunch & was in the same situation as you..
BUT iv just discovered Batchelors pasta pot shots, there delish and im full! they only have 174 cals & have less than 2% fat.
All you do is add hot water!

they are in morrisons atm 2 for £1.

xxxxx Jade

Soup! My partner and I make lots of home made vegetable soups. The last one we made had onions, garlic, carrot, courgettes, peppers, celery, chillis, broad beans, a tin of mixed beans, veg stock, cumin, cayenne pepper and lime juice in it... it was a variation of a WW Mexican-style soup I think. It's really tasty and spicy and because of the beans in it, it's filling and for a big bowl full its only 150cals because it's all veg. With that I have a yogurt (around 100 cals), and a banana and I'm full for under 350cals.

I tend to make some homemade soup, means I can control the salt content and make sure no added baddies. I dont even count the soup as i dont count veggies calories so i have one bowl of that and a sandwhich

I cannot cook to save my life so I have 'veg pasta' all the time!
50g wholewheat pasta, 250g frozen mixed veg, 1/2 tin basic baked beans. Cook it up and add curry powder to taste. Delish!! 381 cals :)

At work i usually have a tin of weight watchers tomato soup & a slice of ww bread, with some fruit for afters. Still only like 200 cal for it all & ive full after!

xx

Back