Low carb questions??

shrinkingannie

Gold Member
Hello,
currently I am following WW which I like, well I like the group and getting weighed but im not great at counting points I am a real carbohydrate craver and find it a real struggle to stop at one slice of toast etc etc.
Now my question is if I was to follow a moderately low carb diet whereby all fruit and veg was ok but not rice pasta etc would my cravings lesson or would I need to go into ketosis for that to happen??? Thanks for your help - also is wine in moderation ok if you follow a low carb diet? is any other alcohol ok too - im going out on friday night;) a rare treat these days!!

Hi
I think you should look at The South Beach Diet (don't know a lot about it) Or, Dr Charles Clark 40-60g of carbs a day and I think allows some spirits and dry red or white wine (in moderation) :)

I have seen that some people on other forums do plans of up to 100g of carbs a day. They call it a semi low carb plan. Atkins in its weightloss phase is 20g.

Dr Charles Clark says anyhing over 60g a day risks coming out of ketosis. It also means that it turns any fat eaten into body fat too.

So, the most successful low carb plans are high in pure fats, moderate protein intake and obviously low carbs. No calorie counting and not advised to do a low fat version :)

Hope something in that helps!:)

Good luck shrink. I say try out the diets and see what works for you. everyone is different... :)

Thanks girls - I must say I have never heard of charles clark - must go and google him now. I have to say I definately think avoiding bread biscuits pasta etc is the way for me - I just need to find the right approach!

Hi Annie!

I did a sort of modified Atkins/South Beach low carb myself, which worked well for me. I didn't actually count carbs nor did I ever wee on a keto stick;). And i did have foods you're not supposed to have such as the occasional glass of wine, my daily cappuccino (coffee addict), summer fruits/berries from day one, unlimited green veg.

I know exactly what you mean about not being able to stop at one slice of toast. It's like a bottomless pit! It's different for everyone but I found that cutting out all sugary, starchy foods - bread, pasta, rice, potato, root veg, most fruit - took away those cravings completely - out of sight, out of mind.

I find that low carb really suppresses the appetite (keeps your blood sugar and insulin levels constant) and that's a godsend for the willpower, which is what it's ultimately all about!

I can also confirm that lower my carbs did reduce my appetite and cravings.. but like miss said maybe do a modified version of the diet and etc.. something that will suit you and where you are losing weight.. good luck and you'll do it

Why not look into the Neris and India diet? It's a modified low-carb and seems to make very good sense. Also the book's a very entertaining read (you can get it cheap on ebay). There's a thread here about it.

Hi Annie!

I did a sort of modified Atkins/South Beach low carb myself, which worked well for me. I didn't actually count carbs nor did I ever wee on a keto stick;). And i did have foods you're not supposed to have such as the occasional glass of wine, my daily cappuccino (coffee addict), summer fruits/berries from day one, unlimited green veg.

I know exactly what you mean about not being able to stop at one slice of toast. It's like a bottomless pit! It's different for everyone but I found that cutting out all sugary, starchy foods - bread, pasta, rice, potato, root veg, most fruit - took away those cravings completely - out of sight, out of mind.

I find that low carb really suppresses the appetite (keeps your blood sugar and insulin levels constant) and that's a godsend for the willpower, which is what it's ultimately all about!

Thanks for this advice!

Why not look into the Neris and India diet? It's a modified low-carb and seems to make very good sense. Also the book's a very entertaining read (you can get it cheap on ebay). There's a thread here about it.

This is another one Ive never heard of - off to google again:D

Or the GI diet, that wasn't around when I started Atkins, but it looks good to me.

I drank dry red wine most Friday nights, even when I was on induction. I just factored the carbs in.

Charles Clark does a low carb G.I plan. I have the book. It is good, but cuts out red meats to allow for some carb foods that are not allowed on a normal low carb plan.

I am not his publicist by the way!lol

Or the GI diet, that wasn't around when I started Atkins, but it looks good to me.

I drank dry red wine most Friday nights, even when I was on induction. I just factored the carbs in.

I can honestly say my diet is normally low GI - I find within the range of low GI foods I can easily gain weight with little effort so I would need to calorie count too which Im not good at. But thanks kindly for your advice.

I have decided what I am going to do - Im not good at following diets TBH so this is the plan. I have read Marissa Peer's book so following her advice basically but a little stricter to begin with to give me a kick start so for two weeks im eating only fruit, veg protein and nuts, then I will reassess and review - maybe add a little brown rice or something.

It's a suck it and see situation then love.

Yep, but I feel positive - it is definitely much easier than counting points and trying to stop at one biscuit.

Good luck shrink. Like I said before everyones is different and what may work for someone may not work for you. So you are doing right by choosing a plan that you can follow and stick to.

Keep us posted on your journey :)

Good luck :)
I also tried counting points and it drove me batty!
I am following low carb its working great ,though of course I have slip ups etc
My hubby is Italian and a chef so when he is cooking pasta and pizzas I have to spur myself on mentally.
But I am not adverse to the glasses of wine either LOL

Does anyone know of a good Carb Counter Books please? I bought one recently but it seems to be aimed at Americans x

Hi Suzie, can't help with a book but there is a good online one here:

Carb Counter

Back