Low carbing and the gym!

CraigyD

Regular diet flirt!!! :)
As some of you will know I'm about to start low carbing this weekend starting on the Go Lower program initailly (one week trial). Now I have been going to the gym regularly of late doing lots of cardio and using the power plate for toning my muscles (rather tahn weights as don't want to gain size and haven't the time to do lots of reps and sets). Whilst on induction will I still be able to manage this or should I do something a bit less strenuous for a couple of weeks?

<<<<<< is worn out just reading all the work out stuff

Pass....

Some1 that moves alot more than me will be along soon hee hee

Woofy X

Gets me outta the house Woofy! Would probably go mad otherwise and it's better for me that the pub. Bloody hard work though I can tell you. Stopped smoking today too, probably unwise to diet at the same time and a lot of my weight gain has been due to many failed attempts lol

Top marks for giving up the Devil fags, pet..... Im a home bird and the word GYM is a NAWTY word in my house... I know. I know!
Im nawty for not going/doin something...

Woofy X

Bet you've been a member of a gym though lol. I must admit that I find it difficult to motivate myself to go sometimes but once I'm there I put in 100%. It feels great to see that you've just burned off 600+ calories in one session! Doesn't feel as bad then when I'm tucking into my KitKat Chunky (peanut of course). That will all have to stop now lol

Chunky KitKat MMMmmmm U tease!!
Ive never been to the gym, Ive started shaking me feather on the Wii Fit though..... AND THAT SO COUNTS!!!

Feeeeeel the burn, baby!!!!!

Woofy X

I have been going to the gym maybe 4 times a week for the last year. Was on ww before I moved back onto atkins.

I notice a big difference with the amount of cardio I can do now on atkins. Before I could do an hour straight easily, now I have to do 15 mins, weights, 15 mins, more weights etc to get my heart rate back down again and have a little rest.

I did read somewhere the sciencey stuff as to why its harder now.. something to do with carbs are used for immediate energy... glycogen... muscle fuel.. something something.. I will go try and find it.

Sukie does a LOT of running, and Nex does all kinds of stuff so they might be able to give you advice too.

If you feel fine when doing cardio then carry on as normal, but just be aware that your body is working differently and stop if you feel dizzy etc.

The main thing you wanna do I guess is preserve muscle mass as you will always lose this when you lose fat. I think the ratio is something like 25% of weight lost is muscle if you dont exercise.

I do 45ish mins cardio, plus all the weight machines when I go.

Thanks Rach. You've made a good point there. God I'm going to look so unfit lol. Still when I've reached my goal weight I will probably be able to eat more carbs than normal before a workout because I will burn it off. Maybe bananas won't be banned after all :)

Hi Craig im doing Atkins and i still go to the gym, i did step class on monday, then pilates, i usually do water aerobics on tues, i am doing step tonight, pilates on Thurs and drums alive on Sun, and usually go on the power plate when i can. And i feel fine( well not fine very sweaty). But i havent had anyproblems. Hope thats helps !

I low carb and I feel fine all the time, a little fatigued in the evening, but that is what fat burning is about...I do carb up on Saturdays though and go back to high protein low carb for the rest of the week (trying to get body fat percentage down now)

Oh I train five days per week (rest Sat and Sun) for about one and a half hours, sometimes two...I do weights and cardio but most of my training these days is on the indoor rower, spin class, outside running and weight based circuits for my octathalon training...and the odd hour with my personal trainer (every two weeks now)

Last edited:
Jesus nex.. I need to have a nap just reading all the things you do! When did you start doing marathons and octathons and all the other athons?? xx

Jesus nex.. I need to have a nap just reading all the things you do! When did you start doing marathons and octathons and all the other athons?? xx

I began my gym sessions in earnest last year in April and my first challenge of many was last year (mini gym fitness tests twice, the ones with biking, rowing, ab crunches, shoulder presses and then a triathlon on rower, bike and run outside then a more hardcore challenge with running, 50 sit ups, 50 press ups and rowing as a team and my team, we were all women, beat the three men's teams)

The next is the octathalon (you can google this event) this year in May, I have completed the Spartan 300 challenge (was the only women to do so in the gym) in a good time...last year too...this year will be my firsts for the running, as running is my weakest thing...but I am determined to do some long distance running this year. My rowing marathon with be my first marathon...then next year, fingers crossed I want to do some very long distance trail runs (40 - 50km) and maybe train for a proper full length triathlon and also a road marathon somewhere (obviously not London as it is always fully booked). I started mountain biking this year too...I skateboard when I get time...

I think I am now a definite/confirmed adrenaline junkie!

Thanks Rach. You've made a good point there. God I'm going to look so unfit lol. Still when I've reached my goal weight I will probably be able to eat more carbs than normal before a workout because I will burn it off. Maybe bananas won't be banned after all :)
hey craig ,
as woof said , i do run distance and ive been ok , guess i feel fatigue more in the initial warm up time but i know if i work through it im fine , often i think 10 mins in i cant do this and i end up running for 90 mins , its almost that ive got more endurance/energy on low carb but im sure this is just my imagination ???? good on you though for getting out and getting fit xx

Thanks all for the advice, starting tomorrow so will see how things go. Bet the first few days will be tough as I go into Ketosis but it looks like I can expect an improvement from thereon in. :D

Good luck!

good luck craig , youve done it before so you know what to expect so ultimately youll get through it xx

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Just split up with my girlfriend and had to leave the house so gym and diet will have to take a back seat for a couple of days now. Having to stay with my mum and dad who happen to think that Dr Atkins was a relation of Satan!

Oh no! Big hugs!! I hope you find a solution that suits you ok. Perhaps you could just try and max up the veg and salad and stay away from refined carbs if poss - sugar, flour. xx

Aw Craig, sorry to hear that, just keep hitting the gym when you can. And as Rach said just keep an eye on things!

Back