Low Gi and Bread

JulieGeorgiana

I have Insulin Resistance, which caused high blood sugars and 4 miscarriages (caused by blood clots in the placenta during implantation, which is caused by high levels on insulin).

I have been on low Gi for 4 months and I am 2 months pregnant.

I am suffering extreem morning sickness, and bread and fruit is all I can handle.

I am eating Granary Bread and Grapes, but today I had 7 slices of Bread and 250g of Grapes. I am so worried I may accidently make my blood sugars spike just from eating so much.

I know that if you eat too much low gi (high carb), it can make you blood sugars rise and I don't want that to happen.

Is eating a LOT of Granary Bread and Grape likely to cause unwanted side effects??

Please help x

Oh you poor pet. You must be so worried to keep baby safe. Your question is best put to a nutritionist and maybe your GP can give you a number for one. Or maybe post a question on Patrick Holford or Nigel Denby's website or the glycemicindex.com site of jennie brand miller who is a professor on all things insulin related.
Certainly from a GL perspective even the low Gi breads are all in the medium category. Could you snack on some rye crackers, might they stay down a bit better. Try berried fruit such as blueberries, strawbs and raspberries as these are the best GL choices. Grapes have a high sugar content so a lot of them may spike sugar levels.
Fingers crossed for you and keep well

Also look on the Useful gi/gl recipe thread. On page two there is a recipe for wheat free scone which if made in a liitle loaf tin makes a loaf of oat bread. This might help with the sickness.
You will also find a recipe for pear a nd rhubarb muffins which is very gl friendly. Xx

Another recommendation for baking your own bread. It may seem like a hassle but honestly it is not difficult to make a decent loaf and if cooking is making you feel wonky you could do it at a time of day when you feel better and save some to have in the morning. Spelt, rye, oats, seeds etc. instead of wheat flour will all lower the GL/ GI so play with the recipe or go and google a good low GI/ GL bread recipe. If you can't stand the thought of baking bread you could gfet a breadmaker. Do you like rye bread? If so you can safely have a much better serving of that than wheat bread. Also I would try to find a less sugary fruit to eat, grapes are not the best choice- ok but not great so not the best to have in larger amounts. Plums and berries for example are better because of the type of sugar they contain, and you can lower the GI of any food by eating protein with it, so a few seeds for example with your fruit will slow down the release of the carbs...

All the very best with the baby xxxx

Back