low gi diet

sarahaglover

Doing research last night I found a book on amazon about pcos & how low gi diet can help. Anyone here follow low gi & has it helped?

I used to do and still do to some effect slimming world and apply low gi diet to it as well. When I followed this strictly and used calorie reduction I lost about 2 stone. Unfortunately I have put some of this back on again with not being as strict during university and now my hard work appears to be getting me nowhere fast.

Good Luck with you weight loss,
Liz

Hi Girls

Just wondering if anyone could help me?

I have PCOS, Diagnosed 2004 ages 18, only throgh bloods though no ultrsounds or anything but I have textbook PCOS. Extra weight, hair growth, hair loss on scalp, depression (to an extent) you name it!

However, I have lost nearly 4 stones following a low GI Diet. My periods have been more regular than they have ever been to be fair however I feel I need to now address my PCOS, as before I was more or less told to come back when I wanted a baby. I dont want a baby at the moment however would like to try and get my symptoms under control and possibly regulate my cycle. Something scares me about going to the Dr :( Sad I know but it does!

Can anyone give me any advice? What meds I should be asking for? If the pill may help??

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Jane xx

I've been diagnosed with PCOS for 9 years now. A few months ago I tried the GI diet for a week to see if it would work, and kept within 1,200 calories a day. It definitely worked, I lost 5lbs in a week, when usually I struggle to lose 1-2lbs a week on a different eating plan. I did find it very hard though, I was very restricted with food and was craving things a lot. It does help, because it keeps your sugars down but it is very strict.

Janey - the pill helps with hormones so anything affected by that such as facial hair can be reduced. I was put on the pill to regulate my periods and it made my skin a lot better too (acne). They also can try you with metformin for weight loss (although these have side effects such as sickness). There's no specific PCOS pill unfortunately but there are a few things that can help!

x

I followed the low GI diet last year to the letter when I was first diagnosed with PCOS - after 2 or 3 months I hadnt lost an ounce. I have just joined Slimming World and have lost half a stone in 2 weeks. I really wanted the Low GI diet to work as everyone seems to recommend it for PCOS but I guess it just doesnt work for everyone. Slimming World seems right for me (so far) so am going to stick with it as I've got a lot to lose!! I'm also taking Metformin too - am seriously hoping that helps with the Weight loss too...!

Back