Low GI on the go?

ImpossibleDreamer

Hi guys,
So as I mentioned in another thread I am trying a little low gi to help complete my weight loss journey. Slimming World was great to lose 4 stone but I can't seem to budge the last bit and wonder if my pcos and blood sugar problems are the culprit!

It's my first day trying to keep low gi. I've had so far:

allbran with skimmed milk and a banana for brekky

snack: 1 apple and a babybel plus a few nuts

I'm just going to out on my lunchbreak and wondered if anyone could recommend anything available from places like pret/boots/m+s that is suitable for low gi.

I know pret try to keep things natural and have all kinds of salads and wraps but I wondered what people had tried and tested!

Thanks!
Maz

If I'm out and about I like the M&S fuller longer range. The flatbread sandwiches are yummy and the ready meals are good. (I try not to have them too often, but they're great when needed!)

Edit: (sorry, wanted to post quickly in case you needed to rush out so you didn't starve, lol)

Your food today looks good so far, just make sure you get some protein (nuts or seeds, or a boiled egg or trimmed lean bacon if you want a free food) in with breakfast as well. Your snack looks great! :)

And the M&S range, although it doesn't *say* it's low GI, basically is. :) They also do a count on us (I think) tuna & bean salad that is good - it has potatoes as well but I didn't eat them all. The nutty superwholefood salad is nice too, although I'd grab a pack of protein (prawns, chicken or something) to go along with it.

Sorry we don't have a pret or a boots anywhere handy for me to grab lunch usually so can't help you with those. :)

Plumfoodie you are turning out to be my saviour! :-D
I have just devoured a delicious salad from the m+s fuller longer range: Italien style tomato and basil chicken. It was so lovely! I thought it looked quite small but I am completely full after eating it :)

Thanks for the food diary tips too, will try to eat an egg in the morning lol Do you know how the Moma yogurt/oat pots are on low gi? they strike me as being friendly and they are yummy!

For tea tonight i'm doing prawn and edamame stirfry with chinese veg and brocolli. I also bought a couple uncle bens express wholegrain rice.. do they fit the bill? If not I'll leave them to my boyfriend and skip the rice altogether.

Really appreciating all your help!

Oh your lunch sounds scrummy! Our M&S is tiny and we often don't get as big a range as I would like. Probably better for my wallet that way though...

I looked up the MOMA pots and they look quite interesting. But I couldn't tell if there is added sugar in the fruit compote part - if so I would avoid. For grab-and-go I really like veggie quiche cups; I do a big batch of them and freeze them, just defrost and reheat in the microwave in the morning. I also make wholegrain muffins with low-GI sweetener (I like sweet freedom), freeze, then defrost and eat with a couple of hardboiled eggs (I usually boil a box of eggs at a time as they will keep in the fridge for a week). You can make your own bircher muesli the night before by mixing a GI-friendly portion of oats (40-50 grams) with half a grated apple and some natural yoghurt plus nuts or seeds, just leave overnight in the fridge. A bit like the SW 'magic porridge'. :)

Your dinner also sounds delicious, I'd say try the Uncle Ben's but keep an eye on your portion size. I think rice about triples in weight when you cook it, so a 40-50g raw portion size would be 120-150g cooked. As a rule though I'm not sure if the pre-cooked rice is as good because it may be more easily digestible (I don't know for sure, it just seems plausible to me because they parboil it etc). I have a tiny rice cooker and we use this to make enough rice for the two of us, it just gets on with itself while we make the rest of the dinner and since it has a 'keep warm' function once it's done cooking, we can start it when we get home in the evening and then eat whenever we feel like it.

Sounds like you've had a pretty good day! :) (I know you've had your snacks to keep your blood sugar stable... right? ;) )

(sorry my post got so long - I do waffle on! as a friend once said when she was very, very drunk, it's a redeeming feature of my personality. or something. ;) )

ohh no need to apologise at all! I need all the help I can get and chatting to someone who knows what they're doing really helps :-D

Moma ingredients: low fat natural probiotic yogurt, pure apple juice from concentrate, mornflake british oats, blackberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants, agave nectar, rice starch and lemon juice..

I have had my snacks, couple of nuts, a babybel light and half 35g nakd bar (the other half of which i'll have on the train home as i don't finish work till 8pm!!)

I have to say my energy level and sweet cravings have been really consistent today. I feel great! Let's hope the pounds come off too.

Will def have to try your muffins! Sound yum!

Thanks for posting about Moma pots. They look delicious! I may have to buy one to try later this week :)

You're welcome! They are so delicious and keep you full and energised for hours. I avoided them before as on sw they are a days worth of syns!

Back