Low platelets

alibambino

Hi everyone i have recieved a letter from the hospital today saying i have low platelets, can anyone give me some info or has anyone heard about it. I have to be monitored monthly with a blood test, i have been having headaches too ?

Hia Ali,

If you google thrombocytopenia there is loads of info out there. It seems to be quite common in pregnancy to develop it mildly. They have to keep an eye on it as your risk of bleeding during/after labour is increased.

Wonder Shell to the rescue! ;) lol
Glad it's pretty common and all being monitored for you. ((hugs))

Hiya yeah ive been diagnosed with thrombocytopenia. Its a total pain, as i have about 3 appointments a week and its been like this for weeks now.

My platelets were 23 last time they were checked. ALl my other bloods are either to high or to low as well. dont no if this is the case for u.

basically ive been given loads of restrictions on the type of birth i have. but as i had a normal delivery last time, im hoping this one will be d same.

i was referred to a haematoligist who i see fortnightly so far, and the birth is so far going to be in her hands, she wanted me started on steroids but i wasnt to happy to start them yet. wanted to wait a bit longer. she will give me immunogoblins prior to the birth which will get us through that. last pregnancy i had low platelets which werent picked up until after the birth, and i just had my bloods check and they went back to normal. but they never went below 75 then so were never a problem.

pm me if u want to know anymore xx

Hi glad your back on here, sounds like a hectic time for you, thanks for all the info, i got a letter in nov from the hospital, and spoke to the midwife the day after who said just to get my bloods taken in Dec at 18 week app, which didnt really help much, they didnt give me any numbers for the platelets and the midwife was in her car when i spoke to her. So fingers crossed that it wasnt an urgent thing, hopefully i will know more when i go to see mw next week.

Hiya how u getting on? The 1st time i was foned by triage to go and have a full blood count was when the platelets dropped to 74. And since then they have just gone down n down. Hopefully urs wont be to dramatic.

Im a the doctors tomorrow morning to see the mw so hopefully she will give me some info then, or she will take some bloods i m guessing, im back at the hospital on the 18 for my 20 week scan on the 18 th. im feeling ok i had a nose bleed on sunday and have been having lots of headaches but i dont want to take anything for it so maybe thats why they keep coming back, will see tomorrow.Have read your other thread, fingers crossed, what area do you live in ?

Im in scotland. Have u tried uping ur fluid intake? sometimes that can cause headaches.

i had more blood taken today. But see the consultant and haematoligist on monday. so will see what happens there

Hi was going to offer to try to help out but i live in Manchester which is miles away lol sorry sending big hugs instead, went to see mw who just took more blooods i am at thr hospital on the 18 th so may find out more then. Hope your feeling ok fingers crossed you can hold on until your 36 th week

My mw ended up foning me on fri and asked me to go to the day bed unit to be monitored. so i was up there 4 hours. baby was fine but the doc i saw said he couldnt believe ive been left this long. But my platelets were up to 26, which isnt great but good news for me. im back at haematolgy 2moro, so will see what they are then.

Back