Loz's weight loss diary

Thank you both. I hadn't considered meal replacement packs, maybe it's something to think about.

I do feel really positive about this now. It just seems such a huge undertaking, but having a really good first week or so (and I know that not every week is going to be this good) has really boosted me on. I needed to go to the shop on the way home, just to get a few bits and pieces, and I really, really wanted chocolate or crisps. I managed to avoid them both, though, and settled my urge for something sweet with a bottle of pepsi max. So I'm really pleased that I managed to say no to myself - two weeks ago, I would have bought chocolate and crisps and something else (like mini stuffed peppers) to snack on, so that is a real achievement for me!

I noticed today as I was sitting waiting for my patient that my uniform wasn't so tight around my middle, so I might have lost some of there! I probably should have measured myself at the start, but every time I've measured myself in the past, I've always had different results - I don't think I put the tape straight, or I might put it in a different position each time.

I think I'll need to go shopping at some point this week. I need some suggestions of what I can take in to work for lunch. We do have a microwave. So far, it has been either cold pasta, salad or a wrap - just one, whereas I would normally have had two - (or that disastrous couscous that I don't want to think about). If it needs cooking, that's not a problem - I'm actually quite a good cook. It's just all the things I cook usually are probably slightly too full of calories. I don't like most meat but will happily substitute with veg/quorn

And I've just noticed, I've lost a whole BMI point - I've gone down from 45.2 to 44.2 on my ticker things - yay!

Not had a bad day today, about 1000 calories so far. I've not had enough to drink today though (2 and a half mugs of coffee). I found a bottle of beer in my cupboard when cleaning them out this evening. I'm so tempted to drink it. Though I've just googled it, it's 142 calories, which is quite a lot on a drink! Hmm, I might avoid it for now. I may just down a bottle of water instead.

Yesterday was the first time since starting this diet that I went to bed feeling a bit rubbishy. I think it was a combination of not drinking enough water and maybe not spreading my calories throughout the day - I had the majority at lunchtime. Having said that, it might have been uterine cramps I was having - I know in the past when I have lost just a few pounds (generally when I still lived at home and my sister was dieting and I'd end up cooking for the both of us) my periods became a lot more frequent and regular so maybe thats what it was.

I've been brave today; I've had eggs this evening. I know, its only eggs, but I'm not really a fan of eggs (I have on occasion eaten them in the past, so I don't really know whether I don't like eggs, or whether I think I don't like eggs and therefore avoid them). But I was starting to get in to the habit of sandwiches again, and there really is limited protein that I eat (I could quite happily live off cheese, though), so I thought I'd give the eggs a try. I soften some veg (half a pepper, half an onion and a couple of mushrooms) in a pan of water then put them in two ramikins. I whisked two eggs, added tumerick and poured it over the veg, popped them in the oven and cooked them. I had one and a half of the resulting egg/veg mix. It wasn't too bad, but I think the first one was too hot and therefore too eggy still. The second one was more set and I could hold it. I managed one and a half before I decided I'd had enough, so my ratties have had a nice treat this evening! I think it was only about 150 calories, which isn't too bad. And hopefully, it'll keep me full this evening as I need to go shopping - I have no yogurts left!

Over the next couple of weeks, I want to concentrate on drinking more water. I've had a litre of fluids today so far, so want at least 500ml more, I think.

I'll try and weigh myself again tomorrow.

Woohoo! Well done, that's one kg closer to target :D You're doing so well.

Sometimes experimenting with foods you didn't like too much helps break things up, maybe you'll find the exact right way to cook eggs in a way you'll really enjoy them! I'm a big fan of egg-white, so I buy those cartons from Tesco, really filling, full of protein and not too 'eggy' in taste. I did mine in a large pancake yesterday with some seasoning and put some toppings on and folded it around :p It actually turned out really nice. Could be an idea to make the pancake, melt some cheese + some meats on top and have it like a weird protein pizza? I should do that next time :D

I know. I'm so pleased with a kg. That means I'm now in the 20 something kgs to lose until my first big goal, and 20 odd kgs sounds better than 30 odd kgs. If I'm honest, I don't know why I didn't try this earlier - just cutting out most of the rubbish from my diet has done this. I've not yet started really exercising (though I have done a couple of days in the garden and still have more to do), so it's not been that hard yet. And it's saved me money too!

I don't expect to continue losing at this rate, though, not without more effort.

I must admit, though, I've eaten a bit too much today. I'm going to try and burn it off at the weekend, really finish off what I need to do in the garden (fingers crossed we don't have much/any rain!).

My favourite jeans didn't feel tight this evening. They used to dig in and be a bit uncomfortable and give me a rather unsightly muffin top. I don't think it was too bad tonight, and they weren't uncomfortable at all.

My next small goal will be to lose another kg by next Friday. And I think I would like to get below 140kg by mid June - that gives me 3 and a half weeks.

That's a good recipe idea, Minerva. I might try that over the weekend. I am trying to experiment more - I can cook lots of nice things but they're all probably quite calorific, I might have to re-design them slightly. I think I have a low calorie cook book somewhere, I'm going to have to find it. (I think you're the first person not to laugh at me for describing eggs as eggy!).

Last edited:
I've been doing well with the water - I had a little over 1.5L yesterday, which is quite good for me. I didn't count over weekend.

I'm pretty sure I was over my calories at the weekend - ended up having fish and chips with friends for lunch on Saturday. There really wasn't very much on the menu I would eat. There was a chicken option but it was with chorizo sausage (yuck), a few meat options, goats cheese and pea tart (I didn't think the pea would have gone with the goats cheese, and it was probably a pastry tart anyway) or the fish and chips. Sunday was the usual roast. I did do some wondering around the shops Saturday and Sunday I carried on working in the garden.

I've still avoided chocolate. I had chocolate the weekend before last and nothing since. I'm not really missing it at the moment. I'm quite proud of myself!

Hiya Loz. I've just been reading your diary and wow, you have been doing amazing!
It's fab that just by cutting down on rubbish foods that you have lost so much weight....you've given me hope that I can do it too.
Don't feel bad about the fish and chips....I would have chosen that too because yes, chorizo is just horrible urghh and I don't like goats cheese either :) x

Thank you - I think it's because I have so much to lose that just something as simple as cutting out the junk (and I could eat a lot of junk!) has done the job so far - I'm under no illusion that it will continue this way, though.

How can you say that about goat's cheese - it's the best!

I think I'm at about 1700 calories today but haven't been very active. I couldn't sleep last night, so I got in from work and cuddled up with the cats on the sofa watching a DVD.

You're doing great Loz, you can always balance a slightly higher weekend out by cutting a little bit out over the week, remember, it's all a balancing act :D
I'd say don't focus too much on the amount you've still got to lose or it will become a big mountain and seem impossible to climb. Then again I remember starting my journey, I was also at BMI 45 and it seemed overwhelming... But little by little, every week, it seemed more and more possible. Have you made small mini-targets to reach along the way? :)

I can't believe both of you don't like chorizo! It's really nice in paella. Then again... I'm not a fan of goat's cheese. :p

Hope you'll have another good day today and manage to get some sleep tonight x

I'm used to no sleep Rach - it's what years of shifts have done to me! I can function quite well on a 3-4 hour night from time to time, though I don't do that too regularly. I remember once not getting to sleep until gone 2 in the morning (just couldn't sleep), and I had to be up at 5.30 for a 14 hour shift! I slept better last night, though, but I still woke before my alarm clock!

I'm trying not to focus too much on what I have to lose else it does seem just so much and so impossible. I've only set my ticker thingy to BMI 35 at the moment as that is where I have to get to before I can start any IVF.

Today, I think I may have done some making up for the weekend - I've had about 1000 calories and don't think I'll want anything more tonight.

My next mini goal is to get below 140kg by mid June. I'm also trying to drink more. I haven't set a goal as such, just more. I don't drink enough. I managed about 1.7L yesterday. I'm not even at a litre today, though (and that's including the coffee I had at work!).

You're so good at giving advice, Minerva. Any thread I have read where you have given advice or consoled someone, it always seems to be the exact right thing that needed saying.

I did some exercise today. I did some running, (in my dining room) according to my phone, I did a mile in 8 minutes! Apparently, that's 227 calories! I also walked for another 15 minutes or so which is about another 170 calories. I'm quite proud of myself with that. I think I'm going to try and run (in my dining room) a mile a night - if I can 'do a marathon' over the next month, I'll be pleased with myself. I'll try and keep track of it on my diary.

1/26 done

Thank you, you are so kind to give me a compliment <3

I find with water - there's no reason to push it, drink to thirst, but there's no real need to have a specific amount as too much might put unnecessary strain on the kidneys.
Well done on the exercise, I really should get off my bum and do some too! :D But I feel so self-conscious, even when I'm alone o_O

I just got in the habit of not drinking at work. I remember doing a long day on the wards once starting at 0730 and not having a break or a drink til gone 3pm when I decided I didn't care what I needed to do I just needed a drink and food. I've done other shifts where I've not peed from before leaving the house at 0630 until gone 4pm. I'm not very good at registering thirst!

The back of my house is very secluded so no-one could see me in my dining room! My calves are aching today though so I'm not going to do any tonight.

I'm still thinking I might join the gym after next pay day!

I have just had the most amazing dinner - 2 cheese stuffed mushrooms (just over 100 calories each - they were already made up from the co-op and I just heated them in the oven) with a mushroom stir fry (no sauce), an extra pepper and half a packet of rocket. The mushrooms were gorgeous, I'll definitely have those again!

I would never have thought, previously, that I could have such a lovely dinner for so few calories - I would have bought a sandwich for about 400 calories and a cheese and onion slice or something plus everything else, for goodness knows how many calories. As I was doing my shopping (and I'd only gone in to get yogurts - I'm in love with the muller whipped Greek style yogurt in lemon flavour about 170 calories), I thought I hadn't got anything in for dinner. I really fancied smoked salmon and cream cheese (I love it on crusty white rolls), but I couldn't find any, so I picked up the mushrooms and stir fry instead. So glad I did. I still fancy some nice fish, though, so I might have that at the weekend - I need to find a low calorie fish pie recipe!

Thank you! I think it's almost 2 weeks (3 weeks? - I'm losing track of the weeks now) since I had chocolate and I'm not even feeling as though I need it now. I'm also saving a lot of money!

Stuffed peppers sound good!

I had around 1600 calories yesterday which isn't too bad. I had a couple of those Cadbury chocolate biscuits with crème egg filling yesterday. Mum bought them when I took her shopping. My first chocolate in 2 or 3 weeks! They were nice.

My calves feel a lot better today so will try and do mile number 2 at some point today, probably this evening. I will have to stretch much better, though. I thought I would have cooled down well, as I did all the walking afterwards. I guess my legs aren't used to running, though. Other than running around after the dogs or after my friends' kids, I last ran before leaving school in 2003, and even then, I was more of an 800m (half mile) girl than a mile runner - I would happily jog 800m with the boys as a warm up to any PE session. I must finish the garden today, too, so loads of digging to be done. And the lawn definitely needs doing again, too, so I should burn off a few calories doing those

Back