Total Solution LuLu's New Start

Hey guys and gals... well tonights the night, tomorrow I start Exante Total Solution and I'm going to try to do this diary religiously in order to keep myself on track... I know this diet works, I've just got to be strong and focus. 12 short weeks... in the greater scheme of things, is nothing.. and I know I can do it.
A long bit of history on me to set the scene...
Well I just turned 37 in December 2011, and I've been dieting in various forms for 27 long years... yup.. my mum first put me on weight watchers when I was a tender ten years old. Since then I've done Weight Watchers at least 5 times, Slimming World two or three times (but it never worked for me... more on that later...) I did Rosemary Conley.. hopeless... tried various fads... joined a gym and went 5-6 times a week with very limited success...until when I was 29 I went to the GP and was diagnosed with PCOS
Finally... I had a reason why although I can overindulge with the best of them, what I ate never seemed to justify how big i was. I would read Weight loss stories in women's magazines, but couldn't identify with these women who'd lost huge amounts of weight by cutting out the 5 mars bars, 4 breakfasts and two Mcdonalds a day they'd been having only to find their excess weight melt off... well of course it did... but that wasn't me...why was I different?!!...
I'd had skimmed milk and sweeteners since a young child, I didn't eat meat back then, had and still have a pathological loathing of greasy food like chips, can take crisps or leave them, yeah i like chocolate but have maybe 1-2 bars a week never a daily occurrence...i wasn't a secret binger or a junk food addict.. i rarely drink alcohol...I ate fairly large portions but nothing obscene, yet my weight.. always reflected that of someone with eating habits to rival those types that Jerry Springer had to cut out of their homes to get hospital treatment...
But with the diagnosis of PCOS came the answer, although not all women with it are large that's because its a syndrome, and a syndrome is a collection of symptoms that you may or may not experience, a checklist of problems if you like... some people.. like Posh Spice who is famously a pcos sufferer... clearly don't suffer with weight problems.. but then i don't have her skin problems (miaow)
'Insulin Resistance' was a term I started to become more and more familiar with, put simply it very very easy to gain weight when you are insulin resistant and very very hard to lose it. The first time a GP said to me, 'you are insulin resistant.. your weight.. it's not your fault' I burst into tears, finally... someone who recognised that i wasn't simply lazy and ignorant about food but fighting a losing battle. It explained why where most folk put on a few pounds on a two week holiday I could easily stack on a stone, and never lose it. It explained why Slimming World was pointless, I was a vegetarian, I stuck to 'green' days which of course meant unlimited carbs... I hadn't realised that me eating carbs IS like eating those 5 mars bars a day, because my body just can't process them.
So once I was diagnosed, in came the era of low GI dieting and medication... Metformin, Orlistat, Rimanobant...but yet, although i lost a couple of stone initially, the weight loss stalled and eventually I tired of poohing orange fat or taking tablets that seemingly had no effect... so I gave up.. just tried to accept that i was a big girl. My diagnosis coincided with my retraining to be a midwife, I was also aware that infertility was another big issue with Pcos and knew that if I ever wanted kids with my husband (who I met at uni and married in 1998) it wouldn't happen without assistance.
It was ok though, I could ignore the odd cruel comment in the street, Evans had modernised and had some fairly nice stuff... I could dye my hair bright colours and put on lots of makeup to detract from my size, i didn't want kids anyway, I was pretty, big and proud.. like it or lump it...right?
However in 2007, we went on holiday with my parents to madeira, it had been 8 years since I'd been on a plane because I hate to fly... oh the shame and mortification when I discovered I had to ask for an extension to the seatbelt... I could of curled up right then and died. I came home determined to make a change but I just didn't know how.. I'd tried everything and it either didn't work or worked so slowly that it would take years to get to goal and life always happened and got in the way of my good intentions. Then I had a friend whose girlfriend suddenly lost 7 stone in under six months with something called Lighter Life which I'd never heard of... then another friends mum lost 6 stone in the same way in just a few months...so I researched it, i couldn't afford Lighter Life at the time and discovered the Cambridge Diet. In May 2008, a few months after the seatbelt debacle my partner (also a big guy) and I started Cambridge sole source, 4 months later I was 6 stone lighter! Finally i had discovered a diet that worked for me, worked the same on me as everyone else.. and worked quickly. My OH lost 5 stone also. However... i stopped too soon, I ld lost six stone i actually needed to lose a fair bit more than that. I felt good though, much better, energised and confident. Between 2008 and 2011 I kept off the majority of that six stone, although i had to
go back on sole source again and even joined Lighter Life in 2010.. I fluctuated between my six stone and a four stone loss, easily losing the regained two stone once restarting within 4-6 weeks. I'd always had to get GP permission to start because my bmi was over 40 and I had a medical condition. When I went to him to sign my lighter life form, he offered to refer me for a gastric band, but I was declined for funding reasons. He was just about to re refer me last April when... shock
of shocks, the impossible happened...I fell pregnant. Let me explain... I'd not used contraception since 1997, I was infertile.. barren... not able to conceive without help... 17 years we'd been together and no whiff of a baby...I'd built a persona around not wanting children thankyouverymuch...and suddenly unbelivably...
... id been taking Metformin again, as it helps with insulin resistance...I was at work ( after qualifying as a midwife in 2006) I was now a sister in charge of labour ward, and discovered via a random blood test that I was .. up the duff...
Well you can guess what happened, dire warnings from consultants ensued.. high blood pressure, gestational diabetes... insulin injections.. and weight gain with no ability to restrict carbs or be in ketosis (foetuses really don't like that..)... 4 stone of my hard won 6 stone regained in pregnancy...bugger.
So now here I am, 2012, with a very unexpected ...very surprising addition to my life and a very unwelcome addition to my waistline. Exante looks just what I need, apart from being half the price of Cambridge, I like the idea of not having to go back to my GP, not having group counselling, and not being given advice by counsellors, I just wanted weighing and buying my stuff and getting out of there, so this is ideal. Scales are purchased, cupboards clear, willpower fully engaged, my OH is doing it too as he regained all his lost weight through simply bingeing... bring it on... this time it's for keeps and I intend to take it further than the six stone I lost before. Wish me luck!!! X

End of day 1, not too bad, much prefer taste of these packs to Cambridge, no hideous aftertaste. Bar, tomato soup and banana shake, two cans coke zero, several black decaf coffees and 2 litres sparkling water... and chewing gum.. the weeing is starting already, hoping to get into ketosis quickly because I'd really cut down on carbs this last week but we shall see. Best bit of day, realising the soup didn't taste like sick ... worst bit going round my folks to find half a pan of homemade macaroni cheese sitting there begging me to dig in... gritted teeth and had a black coffee... Wish I could skip forward twelve weeks...

Hey Lulu, I'm glad you made it through day 1.

I loved your intro post, congrats on finally having a baby after all those years you thought you'd never have one, must have been amazing.

Good luck with your weight loss.
Oh and chewing gum isn't allowed :(

thanks blue! I'm up at this ridiculous time with the baby... tummy growling like an angry bear... I'm thinking about my bar already but instead I've got water on the go and keep hoping we'll be going back to sleep soon... I know sugar free gum not officially allowed but I've always used it before and it's not affected my ketosis so whatever tricks keep ya going I say... I'll see how I go week 1, if I don't lose the poundage I'll take it out of the mix... it's the dry mouth I can't stand! Anyway thanks for responding.... now... c'mon babyboy.. sleep is a good idea isn't it?..... I thought it was just me who woke in the night starvingly hungry....;)

Hi Lulu, congratulations on your addition (your daughter I mean!) like you I have done CD and the rest but not got to my goal because of one thing or another (gallstones being the biggest prob) and I maintained well for a few years then BANG here I am again!
Good luck with your journey I know how hard it is working shifts etc. You will be much nearer goal when you go back after your ML. xx

Funnily enough I got gallstones on Cambridge the first time around, I researched it and up to 25% of women on vlcds will get them within as little as 4 weeks apparently! Something to do with lack of flow through the gall bladder... it resolved once I started eating last time so I'm hoping it won't reoccur again. x

Good luck! Great intro. And massive congratulations onyour lil one must of been the best shock :)

Thanks! It was... a shock, I'd never been very maternal, and I was worried, being a midwife, knowing the risks of obesity in pregnancy... I anticipated what would happen, warned my colleagues I'd end up an inpatient and I did, 4 weeks in spent in hospital prior to him being delivered... I'd developed insulin dependent gestational diabetes by 22 weeks and mild Pre eclampsia by 34 weeks. It was all really disorientating, and kind of embarrassing happening at the hospital I work at, I'm usually a very private person and even knowing my hospital notes could be looked at by any of my colleagues freaked me out. I think I put on a lot of weight from unhappiness in those last few weeks! Still he's here now, and he is quite cute I'll give him that... x

nursetubs said:
Hi Lulu, congratulations on your addition (your daughter I mean!) like you I have done CD and the rest but not got to my goal because of one thing or another (gallstones being the biggest prob) and I maintained well for a few years then BANG here I am again!
Good luck with your journey I know how hard it is working shifts etc. You will be much nearer goal when you go back after your ML. xx

She was a he? Now I'm confused! Lol

LOL I bet he is :)

Yeah i wouldn't fancy having any of my babies where I worked :0 can see how that would make you uncomfortable.

I had pre eclampsia on my 2nd, didn't have it on my first was so funny all the doctors were discreetly asking me if it was the same father as apparently its unusual to suffer on one pregnancy and not another, they never asked while hubby was in the room Pmsl! I didn't get it on my third pregnancy either, luckily my 2nd is the spit of hubby so no doubts there ;)

that's right! Unusual to get Pre eclampsia on second if not a new partner, but it happens... obviously! Thing is we don't really know what causes it, so it's mostly guesswork...

speaking of babies.... feeling pretty hungry on Day 2... could chew the arse off a baby through the bars of it's cot!! Still have two shakes to go mind you!

So much for me religiously doing this diary... I think I'll just float around elsewhere til I've something interesting to say!! Day three done, 100 % so far, woowoot

Hi Lulu, how are you finding it? You made it this far!
I write about anything lol. Keeps me going putting my feelings down on here I can refer to them when it gets tough.

hey chick, yeah it's ok, yesterday i was hungry and headachy, today much better and more energised so think ketosis is kicking in! Snuck on the scales this morning and 48 hrs in scales registering 5lbs down, all water I'm sure but still motivating :)

Great start and very motivating. Sounds like K fairy has arrived or very nearly! I get cold hands and feet too lol. Keep drinking at least 2-3L water and you'll do well xx

Well day 6 and been 100% so far feeling v cold so must be proper ketotic, snuck on the scales this morning, -9lb so far and proper weigh in not til Tuesday. Feeling better already - roll on the next few weeks!

Back