Lump Free Porridge. Gizza Clue ....

SteveM

Silver Member
Okay - give me a hint!! What is the secret of making the Porridge??

I went back on SS yesterday to shift a few pounds quickly, and decided to give the Porridge a go. First attempt this morning and I had powedery lumps in it. Still ate it, but the lumps made me gag a little.

What I did was:

1. Powder into bowl.
2. Add a little hot water and mix to smooth paste
3. Add rest of water and mix up
4. Nuke for 1 min

Do I just need to mix for a bit longer or does someone have a better method??

Hi,
I found whisking the porridge like the shakes with a hand blender helps get rid of any lumps.

I pour in 140 ml warm water (not boiling) and the powder and whisk like a mad woman for about 1 minute. Pop it in the microwave for 1 min and ta da! Perfect Porridge.

Give it a try, it's always worked for me. Let us know how you get on hun x x x

I've got a couple of the porridge sachets to try and was wondering if it'd work tryin to mix it in my Kenwood frothy maker? This heats and mixes at the same time as is designed for drinks but wondered what the consistancy is of the porridge... if it's not too 'solid' you reckon it'd work????

No, go for an electric hand/stick blender - the kind where the bottom unscrews from the top. I wore out my Woolies one, then bought a Micromark one from eBay, which was a million times better than the Woolies one. It's transformed my porridge - but buy a good one (you won't need to spend more than about a tenner).

I wouldn't even attempt to whisk out the lumps - I think my arm would fall off! :eek:

PS. The blender is a perfect fit for the shaker too, just plunge it up and down and it shouldn't slosh over the edge too much. (I never use it for shaking - I blend everything!)

I do mine in an electric blender (jug style) I put in 140mls of hot tap water in add the porridge whisk on slow for about 30 seconds then a quick wizz on fast speed, pop it in the microwave for 1 min....yummy!

I used to be addicted to the porridge! Sort of OD'd on it I think!

I used to add all the water in one go and mix all together with a fork first, stop half way through microwaving and mix again x

I probably am not supposed to go it, but I find the only way my porridge thickens and is creamy is if I microwave it for 2 mins after whisking.

I find it is really quick to just use a fork and 'squash' any big lumps down, then give it a quick stir around. Then you don't have to wash a blender up. Yummy!! I also dissolve a sweetener tablet in the hot water before I stir it in- makes it even scrummier!

Last edited:
I probably am not supposed to go it, but I find the only way my porridge thickens and is creamy is if I microwave it for 2 mins after whisking.
Doesn't it slurp over the edge while it's being miked? (Mine does with only a minute - I have to use a really high-sided bowl!)

I thought we were supposed to mike our porridge anyway, aren't we? (I'd find mine too thin if I didn't.) It does actually say this on the packet - see, I've been doing my detective work too, Miss Holmes, lol!!
:whistle:.....:Na_Na_Na_Na:..... :roofles:

Doesn't it slurp over the edge while it's being miked? (Mine does with only a minute - I have to use a really high-sided bowl!)

I thought we were supposed to mike our porridge anyway, aren't we? (I'd find mine too thin if I didn't.) It does actually say this on the packet - see, I've been doing my detective work too, Miss Holmes, lol!!
:whistle:.....:Na_Na_Na_Na:..... :roofles:

Hehe! It does explode if I dont watch it! i usually have to stop and start for the last 30 mins, open and stir and then continue. Though I had a porridge dissaster this morning and added some coffee granuals to it... so vile!

Hehe! It does explode if I dont watch it! i usually have to stop and start for the last 30 mins, open and stir and then continue. Though I had a porridge dissaster this morning and added some coffee granuals to it... so vile!

30 minutes?? Wow you REALLY do nuke it ;)

Lol, I couldnt wait half an hour before i ate my porridge!! x

yay for soggy powder and lumpy porridge!! mmmm!

ewwwww coffee - how did that happen? lol

Back