Lydia's points diary and food log

Irene, I was the same, thought "no way I have to stick to points couldn't possibly cope on Core", but I decided to give it a go after hearing so many positive stories at WW meetings and I knew I was wasting my points on junk food labelled as "low fat". Its only day 2 for me but its going well so far and I haven't really felt hungary which is unusual for me as on points I was often starving and searching the cupboards for something to eat which usually ended up being a WW bar, snackajacks, go ahead crisps or if things were really bad a bar of chocolate. I knew that I really needed to snack more on fruit (and the weeks when I managed this had slightly better losses) so thats the main push behind me going to core. I HAVE to snack on fruit if I need to snack unless I want to break into the 21 points I'm allowed a week which I really want to save for the weekend.

Receipes - well I have got them from a variety of sources - what I do is copy and print them and I have a huge file at home full of receipes - I get them off the WW website, from Ivillage message board for WW or from Oldchems website - oldchem - great for Core receipes, I also have virtually every WW cookbook going, always buy the mag and photocopy any receipe that I want and it goes in my file. When I try a receipe if its good it stays in the file, if its pants it goes in the bin ha ha !:)

well done hun - you are doing great - your recipes are really good!! I will definitely be trying some

Hehe you read my mind Marie! ... yeah id also love to know how many points those monster cookies would be :p

They are 5 points each, which does sound a lot I know, but they are huge, and I honestly wasn't hungry until lunchtime so didn't need to snack in between.

What you could do is use 1 tablespoon of flour instead of semolina which brings the points down to 4 1/2 points each.

Weirdly flour has to be pointed on core but semolina doesn't but its higher in points than flour! Strange.

I think the idea behind Core is that eventually you don't need to snack in between meals, but I'm always coming to work with some fruit just in case.

So onto day 3 of core and its going ok so far, have definintely reduced the amount of food I am eating in between meals and feel overall that the quality of the food I am eating is improving its much healthier, more fruit and veg and less high sugared processed junk!.

Food for today is:

B - porridge cooked with strawberries & served with 1 tablespoon low fat yoghurt
L - homemade lentil & vegetable soup
2 brown rice cakes
Shape satisfaction yoghurt
Banana
D - wholemeal pasta
Homemade chunky vegetable pasta sauce
1 tablespoon parmesan (1 1/2 points)
Sugar free jelly
S - if I need them I have a satsuma, grapes and nectarine with me, will def have at least one of them
2 litres of water
No exercise - got inspectors in at work so starting at 7.30 every day! Can't wait for them to go!!

Chunky Vegetable Pasta Sauce

Chunky Vegetable pasta sauce

Serves 2 - free on Core - points = 1 per serving

1 small onion chopped roughly
1 clove of garlic crushed
1 pepper chopped roughly
Approx 5-10 mushrooms quartered
50g peas
50g sweetcorn
large can tomatoes
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder or flakes
Salt & pepper
Frylight

1. Heat frylight and add garlic and onions and saute for 5 mins
2. Add all other vegetables and sautee for 5 mins
3. Add tomatoes, chilli & herbs and bring to boil
4. Reduce to a low simmer and simmer for about 10 mins.

Serve over pasta.

Really quick and satisfying dinner.

Brilliant for Core brilliant for Points.

Change vegetables to suit your own tastes.

Hi Lydia and Welcome.

I've loved reading your thread. Seeing what food you're eating has made me want to give Core a go.

I need to ask a 'stupid' question though. The swiss bircher, does it get cooked the next morning or eat it cold? I'm not a porridge fan see and the thought of hot gloopy stuff sends me cold.

Looking forward to reading more and seeing your losses.

Sharon :)

Hi

No you don't cook it, just mix it all, refridgerate and eat the next morning.

Sounds like you're doing well Lydia - keep up the good work... you do make the Core plan sound do-able for a food junkie like me!! :) Good recipes too.... I always have the same old thing so gonna give your recipes a go. Thanks hun! x

Quorn & mushroom Risotto (with brown rice)

Here is the receipe for my dinner last night, I will say that I need an extra 1/2 pint of stock though

QUORN & MUSHROOM RISOTTO

serves 2

3 quorn fillets cooked and sliced
1/2 medium onion(s), finely chopped
1 cloves garlic, finely chopped
150g mushrooms,
10 grams of dried porcini mushrooms
120g dried rice, brown
1 vegetable stock cube
1 tablespoon parsley, small bunch, chopped
salt & pepper

Place the dried mushrooms and stock cube in a measuring jug and add 375ml ( 1pt ) boiling water.
Heat a large, heavy saucepan, spray with frylight, cook quorn for about 8 minutes, then add the onion and garlic and stir fry until softened.
Add the mushrooms and stir for a further 2 mins .
Add the rice. Drain the dried mushrooms, reserving the stock, chop into small pieces.
Add to the risotto with 75ml of the stock.
Cook the risotto on a low heat stirring frequently until the stock has been absorbed and then add another 75ml and so on until the stock is finished.

Season and stir in the parsley before serving.

it was really nice, served it with some broad beans and peas (as I don't always find rissotto that filling)!!

You could easily substitute the quorn for chicken breasts.

I can't make my weigh in this week, totally forgot (until i was reminded today) that I am going to a Virgin V party tomorrow night (will eat before I go so i am not tempted by the nibbles), so it will mean that I get almost a full two weeks on Core before I weigh in. If I could manage a 3lb loss in those two weeks I would be so happy, but anything over 1 1/2lbs will do me in reality, as my weightloss is historically very slow.

You are doing great - two weeks without a weigh in will be good (i could never manage it in a million years though)it will give you a good idea of how core is working for you - enjoy the party

Yes thats what i thought, I couldn't really give the leader my thoughts on Core after only 4 days. I have a confession though, a slip up today - I had a small cheese scone!! Warm as well!! I have pointed it at 4 points and marked it in my journal! So will try to be good for rest of day and make sure I have a 100% day tomorrow, won't think about any further than tomorrow, otherwise I am just setting myself up for failure. Going to really try and get a 3lb loss for next weigh in (a week tomorrow)

It's not really a slip up, more a slight stumble as you're allowed 21 points over the week. I'm really tempted to try Core the more I read those recipes.

How do you have the resistance not to jump on the scales. It takes everything I have not to jump on them every morning!

Have a good Virgin V party.

Sharon

Oh I weigh myself every single morning, Ive given up even trying to stop myself ha ha! My weight can flutuate by 5lbs between morning and evening, it always has, so sometimes I register a 1lb or 2 loss in the morning of my official weigh in day and by the time I get to WW Ive lost nothing!! When I stop going to classes at the end of the month my mum is going to weigh me in on a Saturday morning, I'm hoping that even if I see a 1/2lb loss every week that will be far more motivating for me, and I won't get so stressed out over going to classes (I can get myself in a right state at the moment which I don't think is helpful to me).

I know I shouldn't weigh every day and I don't condone following my lead but Ive stopped stressing over it, is just part of what I do now and I refuse to feel guilty about it ha ha !:)

Hi WillKat,

I think some of the WW core receipes are suitable for SW and vice versa!

Well, I well and truly mucked up yesterday, ended up having dominos pizza! So wrote yesterday off completely, might as well come on here and be honest about it otherwise I am only cheating myself, so here I am confessing.

Anyway back to day, a new day and I am determined to make it a 100% day, have put my failsafe plan into action - I haven't brought my purse to work with me, therefore I can't buy anything bad or naughty and I have to stick to my plan. I know from experience that the first half of the day is my danger zone so if I can get through to lunch time then I will be fine for the rest of the day!

Oh why is it so hard!!!:sigh:

Food for today WILL be:

B - 2 weetabix, chopped banana, Onken Very Low fat nutural yoghurt.
L - 3 ryvitas, 3 tablespoons Extra Light Philly, half pack of Quorn ham, sliced cucumber, Shape Satisfaction yoghurt. Nectarine.
D - Jacket potato, 1/2 tin WW beans, 40g low fat cheese (2 1/2 points).
S - grapes and Satsuma
2 litres of water
Exercise none - inspectors still in but they are having a day off tomorrow so can go to gym before work YIPPEE!

Morning Lydia,

Great mentality to just accept the weighing and get on with it, also for having Dominos pizza! Bet it was yummy though.

I'm the same as you. If I have money on me I can be tempted to buy something just because I can, rather than need. I also found the only way to deal with it is only to take enough money for the shopping I need, or take nothing if I'm just going for a walk. That way I can't go in the shops. My danger period is late afternoon/early evening. Right before or after dinner!

Good luck for today. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Sharon

Back