Lynne: Low Carb Fan

Happy New Year to you too Sammy. Feeling pretty good now, though eyes still feel weird, but not as bad as they were. Eye chap on friday if no better by then.

Yes I had a look at them. They are lovely. I think you chose the best one, though I did have a play with the lagoon and a jogger, which amused me LOL!!

Hi lynne, i'm another allergic person here. Agree best to stay off the nasal sprays if you can. I take ceterizine hydrocloride anti- hystamine tablet (ie zirtek) everyday otherwise i snuffle continuously. Have taken them for 20+ years - only time i didnt need them was living by the sea in gibraltar;)

Hope your eyes are improving xx

That's interesting Kat1e, I was wondering about long term issues. I have had hayfever for years. I have allergies to some make up and creams. We live near the sea in a valley up the mountains, surrounded by villas, fields, sheep, goats, chickens and cows. My eyes seem gummy all the time and I already had issues with tears overflowing and had had an op in the UK on one duct. Sadly it doesn't seem to have worked. But since taking one pill a day, they feel less gummy, they arent overflowing, but they still feel like there is pressure above them. Maybe its the skin feeling odd as it shrinks back. I will ask if the pill he has prescribed can be taken long term, and if he says no, i hope he can recommend something. Otherwise its Zirtek for me. Thanks for that.

Hey Lynne, definitely worth trying different things as they are all slightly different and work differently by person

Also if you are allergic to a bunch of different stuff (i'm mildly allergic to everything both air and skin) it's better to just keep taking them as they work better rather than use for an attack. I cant persuade my mum to take them consistently every day - she always waits another half day and then wonders why she has all the symptoms!

X

Yes, I have experienced that with the hayfever. I have tried some that work and some that don't (tricky thing is, I don't remember which) :( I Have pretty regular earaches in the autumn and was told that I might be allergic to spores that are around at that time, and if I don't treat that, the canal closes enough that infection starts. So, sometimes they end up treating with anitibiotics and sometimes antihistamines. If I was taking a pill a day then the hayfever, the autumn earache and the general eye problems would all go away. The thought of knowing for sure I would be out of all the trouble, is making me feel very relieved.

Hey Lynne, definitely worth trying different things as they are all slightly different and work differently by person. Also if you are allergic to a bunch of different stuff (i'm mildly allergic to everything both air and skin) it's better to just keep taking them as they work better rather than use for an attack. I cant persuade my mum to take them consistently every day - she always waits another half day and then wonders why she has all the symptoms!X

I'm the same, have taken cetirizine every day almost without fail for 20+ years (since I arrived in London, I'm allergic to the pollution and dust) and don't have any long term issues. And Katie is spot on, they work much better if you take them before it happens - I wake up, put the radio on and pop a cetirizine, and that's it - no sneezing, no sore eyes and my sinuses are clear.

Try it for a couple of weeks and see how you get on.

Evening Lynne, how u doin? :)

Hi Kat1e I have an appointment at the hospital tomorrow to have the swelling over my eyes checked. Its like the tear glands (lacrymal glands) are swollen. Makes me feel like my eyelids are heavy, pressing. I really, really hope he knows what the problem is. But since I have been taking the anti allergy pill I have found that they feel a lot better. So its a bit of a riddle for me and I hope Dr Cengiz will have the answer.

As for the diet. I fell into some salted peanuts yesterday and have put weight on. I assume its mostly the salt. It doesnt bother me, because I know I ate too many, so at least I know the reason. How's you??? :)

Morning Lynne

Good luck with the hospital appointment today - I wonder what is causing your ducts to swell up, unless you've got a stye in them? I used to get them all the time when I was living on the farm...

Hi Susie. Thanks for asking. It turns out I have Glaucoma. This is something that I have been having odd flare ups of for a few years, but usually not too bad. Not bad enough to need medication, but this time I have drops. He said it has nothing to do with the symptoms I am describing and that that is pure allergy. Here's the bad news: -the drops he has given will cause an allergic reaction! :eek: So, my eyes could end up even worse than they feel now. -There was me, hoping he would give me drops for my swollen eyes and in a day or two I would be sparkly eyed and all the puffiness gone, and in fact the opposite might be the case! *mutter* Of course I am grateful he has spotted the glaucoma, which has flared up fairly recently, I had an eye check in the summer, with him, and it was OK then. I have to go back to see him and the ENT guy in 2 weeks. If the drops are causing great problems, he can change them, he said. I am really hoping its not as bad as he has said, because I am fed up with looking bleary eyed and tired. It would be nice to wear makeup and look good :wave_cry:

Btw, the swelling I am now complaining of is not on the eyelid edge, but in the eye socket above the eye, it is the lacrymal gland. He says that too is allergy, but, so far the pill I am taking for the allergy is not helping with that particular problem. I will persevere with the pill I have, and if the problem persists, I will ask the eye chap if I can have eye drops for the allergy (-and will they cause problems with the glaucoma drops). I really don't fancy feeling and looking like this, long term. :doh:

Oh dear Lynne - what a shame to hear about the glaucoma! It is a good thing they have caught it early but not going to help the other symptoms. I do think it's worth trying different tablets before having to put two different things in your eyes - also maybe worth a double dose. I know when i'm really bad i can have an all day thing like zirtek am and if necessary a shorter term top up thing like piriton in evening to keep the effect going. Also important to know when best/worst times of day are which will now also have the drops added. Anyway (hugs) and good luck getting everything sorted - in the meantime look after yourself xxx

Here's the bad news: -the drops he has given will cause an allergic reaction! :eek: So, my eyes could end up even worse than they feel now.

Oh your poor love, Lynne, let's hope the cure doesn't make you worse - but as Katie says, good that they have caught the glaucoma early. At least you've only got two weeks to try it out before you see them again xxx

Last edited:
Well, I cant say I have had any huge reaction to the drops, really, though I suspect my vision is a bit blurred. When I was there, he did a proper eye test, and I assume he will do same next week, so he will know if the change is OK or not. Pleasantly surprised (and relieved) that it hasnt made my swelling worse. The pressure over the eyes is still there though. So I am hoping either the Eye chap or the ENT can come up with a solution because its really not nice.

Diet-wise, I am heading in the right direction, as long as you ignore the ice cream I ate (a christmas temptation lurking in freezer), the Lemon curd (homemade and amazingly delicious), and the biscuits my husband found on Sunday. I was good the rest of the time over the weekend.

Today had been miserable with low cloud on the mountains and now the 'sun' has gone down, its feeling cold. The nights can ve pretty cold, sometimes icy. Its OK once we light the fire, but in uninsulated homes (a norm here), the cold comes up through the marble. So, my feet are not happy :( DH is out just now, but in a little while, he will light the fire and then all the dogs will unstick themselves from me and pose on the rug in front of it, LOL!! Amazing how in the summer we suffer with ridiculous heat in July/Aug and then at this time of year, we sit in fleece layers. BUT I love the winters, possibly more than midsummer.

Last edited:
Hi gorgeous!

Hope your well x. Just catching up with you xx.

Back