Lynne: Low Carb Fan

I was reading up on Coeliacs and that can cause a number of symptoms that I have, including puffy eyes, I have found (but I don't have the explosive diarrhoea). And even when eating low carb its possible to eat things with gluten in, like soy sauce. But I don't know if the amount I have of gluten foods and the length of the reaction is reasonable to indicate I have coeliacs. This morning my eyes are swollen, the lash like looks swollen and like its full of fluid :( I never wore any makeup yesterday. But I did eat carbs (wheaty ones). In my defence we were out far longer than we planned and called in on a supermarket, when I was very hungry, and bought a pastry based item for dinner :/ Now, I am not saying THAT is the cause of my eye probem today. But, as usual, I am still considering ALL things.

Apart from the earache and intermittent cough, I also have greeny gunge sliding down the back of my throat from my nose. -Luvverly and TMI, I suppose, LOL!!!!

I think Katie is right Lynne - I also take an antihistamine every morning - every day of the year - for allergic rhinitis, and I've noticed an increasing sensitivity to laundry powders, shower gels and so on - anything that touches my skin. Sorry if TMI but for a few years now I've not been washing my boobies with anything but water because shower gel gives me eczema on my nipples and it's really not the done thing to be scratching your boobs in public! :eek:

ALL commercial skincare, make up, shower gel and hair care have products in them that irritate my skin, and I think until you remove them and try all natural (not hypo allergenic, they are still full of chemicals) products, you won't get to the bottom of it.

It doesn't have to be an ordeal and it doesn't have to be expensive. I often use a brand sold on eBay called Elixir, and their moisturisers start at about £1.99.

youbeauty5427 on eBay

I like this lady's stuff too -

healing_hands_aromatherapy on eBay

Or there's Dr Organic from Holland and Barrett - Dr Organic - All Products | Exclusive Dr Organics Natural Beauty | Holland & Barrett

LOL@ boobs Susie! Thanks for those links, I will have a look at them. I can get olive soap here, of course. I wouldnt know how natural the ingredients are. I have used olive soap a lot (even to wash my hair). I have also tried using glycerine soaps, instead of shower gel. Sorry, its like I have handed you my ball of tangled wool for you all to untangle. I am not expecting you to solve it, because I have been trying to figure this out for almost 2 years and my head is spinning and I KNOW what I am using and what I have been doing to solve it. I dont mind buying expensive stuff if it works. If I can buy cheaper then that's great. But in the past year I have got rid off all of my makeup and skincare items and I am not planning on doing that again till I am certain they are the culprits.

I am taking an anti allergy pill, it doesnt seem to be working. I am going to try another one when I have finished this one (just need to ensure its one that's ok with my Glaucoma). I have considered washing powder, conditioner soap shower gel water, etc etc. Elimination is a long process and, so far I havent worked out what the heck the problem is. I cant find anywhere here that does allergy testing. So I am taking mad stabs in the dark. I have tried changing everything, but of course, I may have changed one thing for something that has the same ingredient in that affects me, so, without allergy testing, its pretty close to being impossible to find out what is the issue.

I think maybe I should now try a change in soap powder/conditioner to something that is specifically for sensitivity. I have tried changing brands, but maybe the answer is to ditch bio, for the sheets and towels, at least, perhaps wash my stuff in non bio. I really don't want to give up on bio as its really needed with my husband (greasy hair and does a lot of gardening) and the dogs (they do a lot of gardening too), LOL. I have eco balls, I don't know how hypoallergenic they are. But maybe if I try them for my pillowcase and towels???? I have a friend coming over soon and he could bring me things from the UK. I have heard that vinegar can be a good conditioner, I might try that. I can get cider vinegar (almost colourless) If there are hypoallergenic things in that vein here, I don't know of them :( But next time I hit the shops, I will give that aisle a lot of attention. Meanwhile I have found Allergy.uk and will look in there to see if they can come up with something.

This reply has been tweaked and tweaked as I go through a thinking process. Its been good! I haven't put as much thought into the laundry as I have in the toiletries. SO, I will now go down that route. I feel very good to have something to aim for. I would appreciate your opinion on the eco balls, and I will look through the allergy site to see what they say on that too. I would need new balls because these are almost finished, and contrary to them saying they are refillable, the screws rust in :(

Reading up on things that can cause an allergic reaction and Vitamin E is one offender. I have been using Liz Earle Superskin Concentrate. It has natural source vitamin E, so, maybe I am on to something. I will stop using it and see if things improve (not that I use it all the time, but I have used it more recently because I believed it would help.......

I have also washed all my muslin cloths, flannels and towels with the eco balls in a boil wash with vinegar rinse.

Ok - just to add my list in case it helps:

All washing stuff must be non bio - I'm really sensitive to that. My preference is liquid as doesn't get "stuck" in the clothes. We use Surcare sensitive.

Shampoo & conditioner I use simple
Face cream simple
Hand cream neutragena unscented
I wash body with Sanex which fingers crossed is ok at the moment - which surprises me as it's scented. They also do an unscented one. But DD highly allergic to both so she uses QV gentle wash

Wheat/gluten makes my chin break out with low dose - higher amount and I get boils in unpleasant and uncomfortable places....

That's probably enough - keep playing detective. It's worth it:)

I was thinking I would use fluid or pouches for general washing and the eco balls for the stuff that directly touches my face. Thanks for your suggestions Kat1e, I will bear in mind. Meanwhile I will be curious to see what cleaning products are available in our supermarket.

I am that confused and paranoid, I have even considered that it might be a food that I have touched, then touched my eyelid.....

Hi Lynne, unfortunately that's not paranoid!

Just some other thoughts: I never put my moisturiser near my eyes - if I do they are red and runny all day. I never use any hair products or dyes or anything. If I get hair done for special occasion at hairdresser then I have to wash it at least twice and change my pillow case. And talking of pillow cases - we have a bedspread to stop too much fur from our fur babies getting onto bed but spikey has a habit of getting inside;). If it's my side then again I need to change pillow case. Hmm talking about it makes me sounds weird and paranoid! But really once you've found your triggers life is ok;) xxxxx

I hope that day comes for me, soon! We have a JRT that sleeps in/on the bed. And a big dog that sprawls on the foot of the bed in the morning. We have a dog we found 2 years ago and my eyes have been bad since getting her, she doesn't sleep in our bedroom, but sits by me on the settee in the evening. I hope it doesn't turn out to be her because I wont get rid of her and love cuddling her. I do try not to touch face after stroking her, though how successful can THAT be.....!

I have eyelid moisturisers but rarely use them. One is Liz Earle, the other is Aloe Vera by Body Shop. My shampoos are many, I use the solid ones from Lush, I use Olive soap, I bought a dandruff shampoo from Avon (available here), and sometimes baby shampoo (I swap them about). I occasionally use Frizz Ease (John Frieda) or the Argan oil from Avon. I have stopped using Bioblas because my lids swelled after using it but its anyone's guess whether it was the culprit. As for the Dandruff shampoo, I haven't got Dandruff, but did wonder if I had something going on in my scalp that might be affecting my eyes. Maybe I need to get T-Gel or something *shrug*.

Bought 3 soaps today: Laurel and olive, olive and 'bittim' (a type of pistachio), all of them 100% natural and the laurel and the bittim have anti allergy, eczema, dandruff, irritation properties, which may be interesting, so I will use for showering and shampooing. My travels last night on Google, took me to this. Slightly alarming to watch this particular soap being made. The lye bit was worrying, LOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZhfLtb9sXI

Last edited:
Hope what you have bought helps x

Oh they sound lovely Lynne! I really hope they give you some relief.

OMG that video - surely there must be a safer way to make soap LOL!

These soaps have a faint smell. -not a 'pampering aroma' LOL, and its pretty drying to my skin. But I will persevere. As for that video, I did balk at it, I assume the chemical reaction takes some of the aggression out of the lye and then also you have to leave it for some time before you use the soap. I suppose a lot of soaps are made this way, it just was alarming to see, LOL I maybe we're lucky we don't know the half of what goes on with things we eat or apply to ourselves :)

Don't stick with the soaps if you find them too drying hun - and re moisturising, why not try some coconut oil? It's fab!

yes I use coconut oil as a moisturiser. I bought a 1Lt bottle of cold pressed and use it in the kitchen and en suite. Its great. I have only used the soap on my hands so far. I am curious to see what happens when I use it as shampoo. I have wondered if theres something going on with my scalp which might be causing my eye swelling and itchiness. So, lets see. Tonight I have been talking with a friend who suffers from Lyme Disease. A lot of what i experience, she has. The other consideration is Candida causing leaky gut. I am making water Kefir in the hope that it does me some good. At this rate I will be the batty old bag with the cats and dogs and weird things bubbling in jars. Wait a minute I AM that person now!!!!

Sadly you are not alone :D

It's really all about experimenting - I've been using what I thought was all natural shampoo and conditioner but it has given me a really, really dry scalp - turned out it has parabens AND SLSs in it, disguised as something else - mfrs really shouldn't be allowed to do that! So I'm trying a new range called Organic Surge - Organic Surge | Organic & Natural Beauty Products - which has great reviews.

Cor, thanks for that Susie. I see they will deliver abroad, which may come in handy, depending on their mode of transport (I don't trust the postal service here, but maybe couriers are better) I have saved it and will enjoy perusing later. I was shocked when I was in the supermarket and saw that Johnsons baby shampoos (yellow, and green) have Parabens as their 1st ingredient. I would love to say that I can see an improvement but I cant. I suspect its as bad as ever. My husband is making reassuring sounds about "give it time" but I am getting very frustrated. I haven't worn makeup in days, I have washed my bedlinen, towels, flannels using Eco Balls. The only thing I have used on face is the olive soap and coconut oil. I will wash hair in the Olive and bittim soap in the hope it does some good because I sometimes feel my scalp is irritated (though I haven't got dandruff), and that particular soap is suppose do be good for skin and scalp conditions.

It is really shocking isn't it when you see how many chemicals and cancer-linked ingredients there are in most commercial skincare/body care products! SLSs have been proven to cause blindness in babies, and they still are allowed to use it!

Well the good news is my Organic Surge parcel arrived today - beautiful products, I think I could be onto a winner here. Because I ordered over £40, I got a free full sized body butter and OMG it smells gorgeous and has soaked right in on my hands. I'm dying to wash my hair tonight and try the shower gels.

Why not email the company and tell them what problems you've been having? Their history is really interesting, the owner of the company had problems with his skin for years until he started using natural products. And they support a school in Kenya :)

I sat and chose lots of yummy things and they are now in my wish list on there £50 worth. Not sure when I would order them, but I enjoyed the 'shopping'. My problem is I have Liz Earle and Body Shop supplies and if I can't prove they are my issue, I need to use them up. Please keep me posted about your supplies. I will need moisturiser first and have the night cream and the Day cream (for dry skin) in my Wish list. This is exciting, I wish I could just order all of it now, but can't justify it.

As for label reading, I find it a task because some of the things listed on products ARE natural but they use scientific names, and it can be hard work to get the full picture. And impossible when in a shop browsing. Its good to know that these people are making their products because they have a personal interest AND that they support a good cause.

When I washed my face, a couple of days ago, with the olive soap, one lid (the itchy one) stung in a line, like the skin was split. When I looked, it was inflamed in a line where the lid naturally folds. Yesterday I used the 'Bittim' and Olive soap to shower and wash my hair. I washed my face too, maybe it isn't as drying and the good news was that my lid didn't sting, which makes me think it had healed, it certainly wasn't as itchy. Lets hope this continues.

Enjoy your 'treasures' Susie :)

Hi Lynne, hope the detective work going well. I must admit I avoid all "natural" products for my skin. The problem is too many "extra" albeit natural ingredients. I stick to something that is designed to do the minimum eg clean or moisturise. Had to give up on everything from body shop years ago unfortunately.

Had a good day here - actually had to change into shorts as I was hot! Then I got cold again lol so not really summer.....
Xxxx

Back