Maintaining is so hard!

kevandju5

Maintaining
Hello all,

I've not been on here for a while, as I've been plodding away on nicely (in a SW sense). I'm back on here as I need a good kick up the bum!!!

I got to target at the beginning of June and I have been really good, sticking to plan 100 per cent since then.

But in the last few weeks, I have noticed my weight creeping up ever so slightly. From my target weight of 9 stone, I then weighed 9 st 1, then 9 st 2... All the while I thought, 'This is fine. My size 10 clothes are still fitting nicely'. But today my scales were almost up to 9 st 3 and I thought - eek!

So, it would seem sticking to plan 100 per cent isn't enough. I'm going to have to go back to having more Red days (and less Green/Extra Easy), more Superfree meals, and loads of speed foods.

Isn't it a nightmare that you can never just relax and always have to watch what you eat so carefully!

Any motivational comments would be very welcome!

xx

hey hun. Dont panic, thats all of 3 pounds. Your still at target and within the 3+/3- rule.

I reached target two months ago :O shock horrer, cant believe how fast it goes..
but your viewing it as staying at the exact weight unless you expect a gain.

ever since i got to target i put 1lb on, 1lb off, 2on, 2lb off, 1 lb on, 1lb off. and im perfectly happy with that, because i am relaxed and not guilty when i put that pound on, because il just make a slightly more concious effort to be a bit careful the week after and loose it, and if i gain2, then so be it.. i just make a little more of an effort again to shift it. Aslong as im within that 3+/3- rule i am at atrget and i dont care what anyone else says. . iv fluctuated between target -1 and target + 2.5 and all the way in between since.. relax and dont fret... so you wanna loose those 3 lbs, your at target, so it doesnt matter if you shift em all in one go, even if that is nice and it happens for you,.. dont panic. go back to what you know and relax.

xxxxxxxxxxx

I can't offer any motivational comments really other than it ain't easy. It's still a diet, yes you can relax a little but not a lot cos it does creep up. I stick to plan but have treats, one or two, a day off each week and it creeps up. I'm currently 2 over target and struggling to drop a couple. Each pound is very hard to lose when you don't really have it to lose.

Do you go to class? I find this helps me a lot, I would pile it back on if I didn't go.

Where you overweight for long? I managed to maintain being overweight for ages, maintaining Target is a new thing for me - it's been just over a year and I still have to work at it. I always will.

Sorry hun, long and short of it is, it isn't easy!

first of all i think u have to be commended for getting to target.iv just got to my target 9.4 although i think i might lose a bit more.but in the two days since WI i think iv put on like 3 pounds:)

so dont feel bad.just maybe have a little cut back and in no time you will be back down.dont let it get you down tho because that is when you wil begin to binge!
so just keep reminding urself how great it is to be at target!

I think it can be a real problem for a lot of people - maintaining - I don't think I can give you much advice other than that your're recommended to eat more Hex's rather than increasing syns.

I'm not at target yet, but hubby is and his problem has been that the weight keeps going DOWN ..... we've been making sure he's been increasing his Hex's (as per recommendations) but he's still losing - he has a history of heart problems, high blood pressure and high cholestorol so he doesn't want to go back to eating too many "syns" really! Some people say that he's "lucky" but we don't want him to keep losing! I'll check out this thread to see if anyone has any advice.

Best o'luck'n'stuff anyways, and well done reaching your target! You're only a few pounds away now, hopefully you'll be able to reign it in before it gets out of hand - it's good that you've maintained since June too!

Good advice, thanks! I really haven't worried about 1 or 2 pounds on, but this 3rd one is a kick up the bum to be a bit stricter for a while.

You're totally right about still being at target when + or - 3 lbs. That's good to remember! I jus don't want it to become +4 pounds!!

xx

I can't offer any motivational comments really other than it ain't easy. It's still a diet, yes you can relax a little but not a lot cos it does creep up. I stick to plan but have treats, one or two, a day off each week and it creeps up. I'm currently 2 over target and struggling to drop a couple. Each pound is very hard to lose when you don't really have it to lose.

Do you go to class? I find this helps me a lot, I would pile it back on if I didn't go.

Where you overweight for long? I managed to maintain being overweight for ages, maintaining Target is a new thing for me - it's been just over a year and I still have to work at it. I always will.

Sorry hun, long and short of it is, it isn't easy!

I agree it isn't easy! No, I don't go to class. I rely on my will-power which is pretty strong!

I was never very over-weight. My weight just crept up after Xmas last year and I had to work really hard to shift it. I guess it's just my metabolism slowing down now I'm in my thirties!

I never have 'days off' and I haven't even been able to up my HEXs. I stick to plan ALL the time, and yet the weight is still creeping back on.

I guess I will just have to be extra extra good!

xx

first of all i think u have to be commended for getting to target.iv just got to my target 9.4 although i think i might lose a bit more.but in the two days since WI i think iv put on like 3 pounds:)

so dont feel bad.just maybe have a little cut back and in no time you will be back down.dont let it get you down tho because that is when you wil begin to binge!
so just keep reminding urself how great it is to be at target!

Well done on getting to target! xx

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one struggling to stay within target - and I mean that in the nicest possible way!

You're so elated when you get there, as we did at the beginning of March, you think that you know it all now, BUT...

Hubby and I both managed to stay at target initially without too many problems, then we went on holiday to Cornwall for nearly three weeks, and must have relaxed a bit too much. For the last 3 months we've both been struggling, me more than him, and last week I actually had to start paying again, when we came back from another few days away!

Those of you who know what an old skinflint I am will realise the significance of this! I had thought that the discipline of going to class and staying would be sufficient to keep us both on the straight and narrow - left to our own devices I was sure would not work.

I feel dreadful. I've not only let myself down, I feel that I've let our Consultant down as well, for she works so hard on our behalf. The phrase "it's OK for you, you're at target" keeps ringing in my ears, but maintaining is HARD, more so than we expected.

Sorry to have a rant, and even more sorry if I've upset any of you who are really struggling to GET to target, but I sometimes think that maybe too much emphasis is put on getting there...

Apologies again if I have upset/worried some of you, but I do feel better now that I've confessed that I'm no longer at target. One thing I do know is that we'll NEED to carry on going to meetings...!!!

If there's one thing I'd banish with my magic wand at the scales it's shame! Do you drive? Then
you know that when you pass your test you are only just at the begining of learning to drive. Sure you know the basics, but then you have to learn to do it all without the instructor in the other seat! You quake in your shoes before you get in, then over time you relax and (hopefully) become a better driver, and becme more confident.
Same thing with target, it's a whole new ballgame! You have that 3lbs each way for a reason. You won't stay the same weight each week, and you have realised that you can't let it creep over the 4lbs well done!
You tackled your weight when you didn't have much to lose, again well done! If only I could say the same!
So in a way maintaining is much harder than losing weight, there's no "do this and it will work" You have to fine tune it for yourself and find out what will work for you. Good luck! You have the determination to do it!

I've not got to T yet so not felt this side of SW myself, but I am sure the hints, tips and advice above will help!

I just wanted to say WELL DONE for the achievement - it's such an amazing thing to do :) xxx

Maybe your target weight is a little low for you? If you have to diet and struggle constantly to maintain it, I think perhaps you should listen to your body and re-think. I'm sure that won't be popular advice around here (heh) but I know what it is like to do what you are doing (from the past) and it often ends up in throwing in the towel and gaining lots.

My target weight isn't too low - in fact I'm at the top end of my bmi and I still struggle to maintain! It's because I like my food and I still haven't lost the old habits. I still have to diet, sometimes weeks at a time to maintain this weight! It's one of those things.....

My target weight isn't too low - in fact I'm at the top end of my bmi and I still struggle to maintain! It's because I like my food and I still haven't lost the old habits. I still have to diet, sometimes weeks at a time to maintain this weight! It's one of those things.....

heeheehee - that will be me too, I'm sure!! ;)

The phrase "it's OK for you, you're at target" keeps ringing in my ears, but maintaining is HARD, more so than we expected.
/QUOTE]

Completely agree! It's damn hard and I couldn't do it without my weekly weigh in. I've not had to pay yet but I've gone 5 over target after holidays and really reined it in to lose the 2 to stop me paying the next week.

You are definately not alone guys!

I think maintaining is actually harder than losing the weight initially!
Hence the reason I have been dieting for what seems like forever!! I get to target and then it all goes on again, plus some more!! (I'm sure theres a few here who recognise that scenario!!) Its a vicious circle.

But what does maintaining mean?
I don't think it means staying exactly the same weight every week, that would be near on impossible! Apart from natural fluctuations, we don't eat the same foods every week.
To me it means having a bit of what you fancy but then towing the line to make up for it. So if you gain 2/3 lbs one week, cut back the next. Or, a naughty day one day, but a good one the next. Its all about balance, I guess, which on the surface sounds easy. I think you have to expect gains, its how you deal with them that counts...oh and well done on getting to target in the first place!!! Good on you!

I never have 'days off' and I haven't even been able to up my HEXs. I stick to plan ALL the time, and yet the weight is still creeping back on.

I guess I will just have to be extra extra good!

xx

I've been at target for 3 months or so now, and have similar fluctuations.

What I don't understand is how you say you're now gaining weight by following the plan as you did before (ie. no increase in healthy extras, more treats, etc). That simply can't be - if you are doing exactly the same, you'd still be losing weight (since that's the way you got to target)!

Perhaps you are being a little more relaxed but not realising?

Back