Maintaining - three months on:

Getslimquick

Been liberated by Exante!
What have I learnt?

It’s now three months since I weaned myself off Exante TS - I now weigh the same as I did on 7 November 2011 but what do I know? It’s still very early days, if I have not gained after twelve months of maintaining I will begin to believe that I am recovering from this awful disease called obesity.

• Being slim is the most fantastic feeling, I feel so good. I am confident, I look good and I love buying clothes; because nearly everything I buy makes me look great. My energy levels are phenomenal, I achieve so much each day.

• My health has improved dramatically, I no longer have a bad back, aching knees, breathlessness. I am no longer weary and tired with just getting around. My blood pressure is normal, and I feel great.

• There is no truth in the widely held belief that if you lose weight fast on a VLCD you will put the weight back on quickly. If you over eat you will put on weight – it has nothing to do with how you lost that weight.

• My weight varies by about three pounds and I now weigh every day. I may be a bit obsessive but it feels good this way.

• Maintaining is very hard, it was much easier on TS – no decisions, and no counting and no hunger – these were the best features.

• I eat a very healthy diet and now I realise I probably always will.

• I will probably do a month on TS when the weather gets warm, I think winter is just too hard to do a VLCD and I admire all of you currently freezing with the snow and ketosis.

• If I do a month of TS I may be able to relax a bit more and have a seven to ten pounds ‘float’ to cope with and to provide some treats. The Christmas and New Year food fest was a real challenge.

• I don’t drink alcohol at all just now – that may change but the ‘slim feeling’ is greater than the temporary relaxation effects of alcohol.

• I just don’t need many calories – to lose weight - 700 or so calories on Exante, to maintain about 1000. This is a long way from the recommended calories for a woman with moderate activity. I maintain on 1000 – not lose. This is why Exante probably suited me so well.

• I can’t be bothered with counting points etc, I feel I know enough about nutrition, fat is fattening, carbohydrates actually make you hungry and I need some protein every day. Oh yes and five portions of fruit/vegetables.

• I need exercise – I swim 40-50 lengths of a 25 metre pool – five times a week and I swim fast so I raise my pulse rate and get out of breath – but I still cannot eat freely.

• I avoid any manufactured food, generally if it’s not natural it is high fat or high sugar and manufacturers are adept at concentrating maximum into tiny mouthfuls.

• I had to work hard at new forms of fun and relaxation, for years and years my version of leisure, a social life and winding down always revolved around food and drink – eating out, eating in – anywhere. This was and still is a difficult change to make. Eight months on Exante helped to teach me new way and I am still developing and enhancing this new way of living.

Enough for now, I will update as I go and wish you all good luck on this journey to beat obesity.

GSQ

Last edited:
I have re read this and I have realised it sounds a bit down beat - its not, but I know I cannot stay slim and eat like I used to, its obvious I suppose.
Changing what I eat and don't eat and changing my life style has not been easy - and yes the rewards are amazing, but there is no quick and permanent solution and it seems to stay slim I now need to eat and live like a thin person.
GSQ

This is very inspiring and nearly made me tearful.

I am new on this section of the forums and am about to order my first lot of Exante.

I am nervous as i did CD about 5 years ago, lost just over 2 stone in 2 months and fell in love and put it all back on again.

since then i have lost weight again through calorie counting and exercise so i am hoping i know what i am doing when i come off exante.

but you have given me additional hope and belief that i can actually keep the weight off afterwards.

well done to you.

Well done on your quarter year maintainer GSQ x

I love this post! Thank you, I am almost half way to goal and I am literally thinking all the time about when I come of and how to maintain. I hope I learn as much as you have. I dont want to come of and go back to old habits, I know TS is the easy bit! Ive already started exercise and am determinded to contiune it and build up the exercise as I get closer to goal and after it.

I am sure you will continue to maintain, you sound like you have learnt so much! x

I hope you dont mind but I printed off your first post. I am terrified about keeping the weight off, but reading your post I can see as long as I am as sensible as you and be realistic then I might be able to do it. At the moment I am not there mentally but your post is stuck in the front of my diary and I am longing for the day when I (hope) that I can be someones inspiration. Thank you (tears in eyes) for posting this, for me it feels like you sat in front of me and said it to me (sorry day 2 100th restart emotions are everywhere) xxx

OnlyWannaBeA16 said:
I hope you dont mind but I printed off your first post. I am terrified about keeping the weight off, but reading your post I can see as long as I am as sensible as you and be realistic then I might be able to do it. At the moment I am not there mentally but your post is stuck in the front of my diary and I am longing for the day when I (hope) that I can be someones inspiration. Thank you (tears in eyes) for posting this, for me it feels like you sat in front of me and said it to me (sorry day 2 100th restart emotions are everywhere) xxx

Thank you everyone - it's tough and old habits die hard. Stress and tiredness still triggers a 'eat' response. And there is still a not too hidden fear that something bad will happen if I get hungry. It doesn't I can be hungry, wait for a meal, avoid biscuits and I don't need to eat just in case I am hungry now or later.
Planning a four week TS when the spring comes. Still learning.

Good luck and thank you

GSQ

Congratulations on your losses and maintaining for 3 months, that definitely is the hardest part.

Good luck for your 4 week stint in the Spring, it definitely is harder the second time around. You have done really well and are a true inspiration for people that are just starting out on their journey, to show that it can be done and the weight can be kept off.

GSQ what a super result for 3 months....inspirational as always.
Struggling for this last 6 lbs so I can join you....taking as long as the rest did I think!!
Good luck with month 4 GSQ...fabulous to read how youre getting along.

Hi GSQ, well done on your fantastic loss and maintenance :)
I lost most of my weight 2 years ago and have maintained all that loss since. Am back now to lose for vanity's sake rather than my health :)
I see some people warning you that it will be more difficult this time but thought I would chime in that it doesn't have to be...
I have been back on CD (swapping to Exante today when the parcel arrives) for 3 weeks and lost 15lbs which I'm really pleased with. If anything I have found it easier this time round so far.
I agree with you that we can never go back to our old style of eating as that's what made us fat! But I've not counted calories at all since losing weight - I have eaten plenty of protein and fat and avoided carbs apart from veggies and not a single pound gained. That may seem strict but keeping the weight off and no hunger, cravings or fatigue are worth more than any amount of bread or potatoes.
It's also fab to know that when I lose the last of it I can return to my new normal way of eating and never have to worry about gaining.
So spring is just around the corner and I look forward to seeing your progress when you return for the final lap. It will be easier now you know that you can do it ;)

Thanks Angel Missy I so agree with you.
I see some people warning you that it will be more difficult this time but thought I would chime in that it doesn't have to be...
If you think it is going to be hard to do another four weeks it will be hard. BUT if you think it will be ok, tough for a few days then fine and you will lose about a stone in four weeks - then it will be fine. it will be easier because as you say I know I know how to do it...

I think it will be fine!

I am interested in your eating plan, I agree avoid carbs except fruit and veg and focus on protein. I find fat too 'fatty' just now so that seems to limit itself. But I do love porridge, I make with water and add blueberries - lasts til lunch time. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences it really helps

GSQ

:D Fantastic! Congratulations GSQ. I remember you well from last year, such a supportive person.

I completely cocked up and am back where I started.

I love your post.

Exercise is the way forward. Yes. I think that's partly where I went wrong.

Chunky Madwife said:
:D Fantastic! Congratulations GSQ. I remember you well from last year, such a supportive person.

I completely cocked up and am back where I started.

I love your post.

Exercise is the way forward. Yes. I think that's partly where I went wrong.

Welcome back ! I am sure you can do it, it's tough around working nights though. You just have to find what works for you and remember it takes at least two weeks to establish a new habit. I wish I had done this years ago, I feel so much better now, physically and emotionally.

And I just love the clothes! Serious addiction but no intention of being weaned off. My job is to keep the ailing economy propped up by buying all the size 10/12 clothes available.

Good luck.

GSQ.

PS. Dear Chunkymadwife - I hope you lose weight and your clothes get really loose!

GSQ

I agree, it's our duty to the country to spend, spend, spend on clothes ;) Only problem I found with losing weight so quickly though was going down sizes before I'd got much wear out of stuff. In the end I bought some stuff on ebay and was also surprised to find some lovely things in my local charity shops which were either hardly worn or new with labels still on. So I'd enter with a bag of stuff I'd slimmed out of and leave with a bag of new sized stuff then donate it all back a few weeks later ;) It certainly saved me a fortune and I'll continue with it this time till I get to my goal. It's a shame there aren't 'clothes libraries' for all us VLCDers as we drop sizes so quickly ;)

Back