Makes me sad!

Harry'sMom07

Silver Member
Just skimming through a few posts on the main SW forum and feel really sad.

I DO understand that it's horses for courses and that we are all very different in our approach to weightloss, but I just cannot get my head around VCLDs etc. Yes, if you're after a quick fix for a specific reason, eg an operation, then I guess I get it, but otherwise...?

I have honestly never eaten so much (proper food) in my life and I've managed to lose all this weight without feeling deprived. A very good friend does the Cambridge Diet and is constantly yo-yoing and goes from being very thin to gorgeously curvy and back again.

I'm just rambling really, but when I read statements such as "I eat every weekend" it makes me want to cry :(

I've been on both sides of the fence. I'm following Slimming World now, thanks to having gained a couple of stones since I moved to America.

But, prior to that, I'd lost a lot of weight in England because I took slimming pills.On a daily basis, I'd have a chai tea latte (non fat, of course) and fruit bread in Starbucks in the morning--a grand total of 600 calories--and that would be it for the rest of the day. Once a week, usually either a Saturday or Sunday, I might have a real meal, but it wouldn't be more than 600/700 calories. I lost a lot of weight very quickly, and ended up with a diseased gall bladder and emergency surgery. Plus, it messed up my metabolism and my emotional relationship with food.

I'm very lucky now (despite having regained the weight). My partner is incredibly supportive and won't allow me to even try to get away with not eating. Hence I'm following Slimming World, and I'm eating plenty. It's a good feeling.

Just skimming through a few posts on the main SW forum and feel really sad.

I DO understand that it's horses for courses and that we are all very different in our approach to weightloss, but I just cannot get my head around VCLDs etc. Yes, if you're after a quick fix for a specific reason, eg an operation, then I guess I get it, but otherwise...?

I have honestly never eaten so much (proper food) in my life and I've managed to lose all this weight without feeling deprived. A very good friend does the Cambridge Diet and is constantly yo-yoing and goes from being very thin to gorgeously curvy and back again.

I'm just rambling really, but when I read statements such as "I eat every weekend" it makes me want to cry :(

A totally agree with your post... and the
"I eat every weekend" it makes me want to cry" really hits the nail on the head.. why would you only want to eat every weekend, when you can eat all week, lose and maintain?

Like you say, each to their own. I find it really hard to lose on SW/WW etc but can maintain on these. I wish I did lose on these but I really don't tend to lose more that a few lbs before I plateau and the rest just will not go!!

For me VLCDs work. At the end of the day food is fuel and VLCDs fit the bill. Totally agree that they are not for everyone though.

xx

I did cd for over a year and gained and lost the same stone over and over again.

After discovering sw in November 2009 I have lost 4 stone and still have 6 to go, I just wish I had discovered it sooner :(

Never mind I am here now and just so relieved. :D

Last edited:
It all depends what your relationship to food is.

For some people the 'break' away from food is what they need to unlearn unhealthy eating and relearn from scratch. Unless you have that sort of relationship to it, then it isn't possible to understand the reason why (some) people are on the program.

It's like saying 'I don't understand why someone wants to be a dustman' etc Unless you are them, then you won't know why.

But why feel sad for them? If it's something they want to do (be it job, eating plan etc), then all power to their elbow.

Having said that, if they follow it and then complain about it/don't follow it then they're fooling nobody but themselves

I guess it all depends on your reasons for losing weight, my friend did Lighter Life and lost around 9 stone, but she was having severe health problems, and needed to lose the weight quickly (doctors advice)!!!

She is maintaining pretty well, and goes to WW now to help her maintain and lose a little weight she has gained.

I wanted to do a CD/LL plan as I had so much to lose, and would probably be at target now (as ive been doing SW 6 months) but I prefer SW even if it is much slower.....I am learning to cook, whats healthy and whats not, and portion control. For me, I wish i had done SW years ago!

But for others, they prefer the VLCD's option and thats their choice to make.

x

I had a gastric band fitted 2 years ago. My problem wasnt quality of food...followed SW, did LL, Cambridge, patches etc, my problem is quantity.
I was known to have a meal and within 10-15 minutes be routing through the cupboards for something else. It came to a head when I was waking up with chest pains...I have a 4 year old Daughter.
It wasnt an easy decision to make believe me and neither is it a quick fix solution, I still have to eat healthily (which is why I chose SW).
Some people can stick to one form of diet plan and it works for them, others struggle and have to really work at it.

Back