Making non-lean mince syn free

Hi guys,

my first post on here, so hello to everyone!! :D

I am soon to move to Spain to live and as I was living there last year I know that they don't sell lean or extra lean mince :cry:. Some friends have said that I could drain the mince once it's cooked to make it syn free. Does anyone have any other advice on how to cook normal mince meat so that the fat is drained?

Thanks in advance!!

M x

I seem to remember a post once about rinsing it with boiling water from the kettle. They seemed to think that it worked. I wouldn't think for a minute that this would be endorsed by SW but the person had been doing SW for a long time and had lost a lot of weight so it clearly worked for her.

I do that all the time - dry fry the mince until it's cooked - drain the fat off through a fine sieve, pour boiling water over it to get all the last fat off and then blot on kitchen roll. It works a treat when you can't get extra lean (actually, I do it with extra lean too, don't like the taste of meat fat!)

As said, SW have categorically said that this does not make the mince syn free. But if it's once in a while and it doesn't seem to be affecting your losses then it'll probably be okay.

Hi, I live in Spain and have the same problem with mince.

The answer for me has been to buy a piece of lean stewing steak and have the butcher mince it. That seems to be the only answer here.

Suerte !!!

Thanks for that. yes, I had heard of this and wondered if anyone had tried it! It does sound a bit odd but I'm willing to seem like a complete crazy person if it means I don't put on weight whilst in Spain!

Thanks again x

Just an after thought.....you will not put weight on here. We have such fantastic fruit and veg it more than makes up for the things we don't have. Our meat is excellent as well especially the chickens.

Most of the supermarket chains now have Activia yogurts and if I am in doubt about a supermarket brand I always ask the ladies on here.

I'd not heard about rinsing in boiling water. Before the low fat versions were more widely available, I used to dry fry, drain and then cover with cold water. The remaining fat 'globs' together & rises to the top. It can then easily be lifted off with a slotted spoon.

Back