Malaria Tablets

tommee2004

Uh oh, here goes. Another small problem. I have today been recommended I take Malaria tablets for my trip to the Dominican Republic in a weeks time.

I have heard bad things about these when on a NORMAL diet ie eating normally, but I am VERY scared as to what they're going to do to me with no food inside me!!!

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000209.html

I am really worried, most of the side effects affect the gut/liver etc, I think I am going to start management on Saturday - Properly, so I can take these with a meal.

Not worried about Ketosis , more worried about side effects.

Any feedback welcomed

Cheers

Take them!!! Better that than get malaria, for sure. Oh, and a little tip for mozzies - if you take 2 vitamin B pills each day, your sweat smells different and you won't get bitten as much. This was told to me by a friend who grew up in Kenya - when I went there, I tried it and it worked, also worked in Thailand.

Tomee,
I took malaria pills and had no adverse effects from them at all , but I was not doing LL then.
Tommee, I dont want to put a downer on your fab holiday before you get there , especially if youve been before as you will already know this ,but make sure you take a good supply of absolutely everything in boots for holidays ie toiletries sun lotion , little medical kit most importantly peptobismol , becuase stuff like that is mega expensive in the Dom Rep. I know from experience because when I went I forgot to pack the bag with all our toiletries, first aid stuff and sunlotions in and it cost me about 100 quid to buy it there.
SERIOUS WARNING ! DO NOT DRINK ANY WATER THAT YOU HAVNT SEEN COME OUT OF A SEALED BOTTLE!
You have worked so hard and I would hate for a really great guy like you to get sick on holiday, but remember we have been eating very sterile and gentle on the system foodpacks for months and differnt foods and in the tropics ......... well I think I've said enough.
Have a brilliant time!

Carla, that sounds very interesting about vitamin B and mozzies - what dose of vit B did you take? Thanks!

I just bought a bottle of Vit B tablets from boots (not sure what the does was, but I expect it would be 100% RDA), then took one tablet in the mrning and one in the evening. I normally get bitten really badly but got away with only one or two bites.

Back