Management Question Please Help

Betty Boo

Hi all,

I was hoping that someone might be able to help me out. I am in week 13 and have got to decide whether to go into development or go onto management. Basically I still would like to lose more weight but at the same time have told myself, I am not going to worry about the weight as I was getting too obsessed with it once more.

I am not far off my goal and to be honest feel that I would benefit more now from having proper food which would give me more energy at the gym (I currently go 4-5 times a week for an hour and a half. I mix cardio and weights and do stomach, bum and back exercises too) i order to really tone up.

I think I have learned that I have big thighs and a big bum and that is my shape (my mum and sister are that shape too, just slim!) and I think for the first time ever I have admitted that this is who I am and I don't really care anymore, I just want to be happy.

Anyway, basically I feel really bad asking this but my LLC has not really told me much about the management phase because only myself and maybe one other person from my group are going into it (if I do!). So in order to plan ahead and get my head around this (I thought I had another two weeks and four days in foundation and I haven't I have 1 week and 3-4 days) I was hoping someone could roughly give me a low down of what foods are introduced over each of the 12 weeks.

I understand the list would go on and on if you were to list everything but it would be so helpful if someone was able to list the food groups and an example or two for a veggie who does not eat fish! for each of the 12 weeks.

I feel really bad asking as I am sure I have read a thread on here somewhere which tells you, but I can't find it.

I would be so grateful if some one could help me. I am starting to panic about it and I want time to think about what I am entering into before it happens, due to problems with anorexia, bulimia and binging in the past.

Thats enough waffle, I think you get the picture.

Thank you all for your help and support, I really could not have made it this far with out you all and my group of course.

:hug99: :thankyou: xx

Hi Betty

AJ has done a management thread as well as a maintenance thread so I think she answers some of your questions there. I have just finished Foundation and moving into Development next week; our LLC has advised us all to go as low as we can BEFORE Management. And Goombagirl mentioned that her LLC said that there is SO much going on in management that it's best to get the weight loss sorted so you can concentrate on the issues that management brings up.

Not sure if this answers your questions but good luck. One fellow blogger is doing a lot of exercise (she's in Development) and managing quite well.

The other thing that our LLC said to us was to go with what felt right, weight wise. We may not know what our final weight will be but we will defintely feel it.

I say go with your instinct IF there's no crooked thinking in the mix!

Good luck.

Mrs L xxxxx

PS well done for being so close to goal. xx

Hiya Betty, well here goes! (omitting meat)

Wk 1: 3 packs a day plus one "meal"; cottage cheese, egg whites, quorn, tofu
from day 3: herbs + spices, condiments e.g. vinegar, raw salad leaves
Wk 2: 3 packs a day, one protein meal plus snacks; all of above+ sugar free jelly:), raw veg e.g. broccoli, courgette, cucumber etc; very low fat dairy - fromage frais, skimmed milk, yoghurt(+soya alternatives)
Wk 3: 2 packs a day, one protein meal + snacks; all of above + whole eggs, quinoa, soya mince, tempeh; fat free cooking sauces; tomato low GI fruit (apple peach, strawberries etc); 100% fruit juice
Wk 4: 2 packs, one protein meal + snacks; more veg (aubergine, leek, onion etc) and you can cook them!
Wk 5: 2 packs, 2 protein meals + snacks; olives; more starchy veg e.g. sweet potato, parsnip, carrots, sweetcorn...; alcohol (not beer)
Wk 6: 2 packs, 2 protein meals + snacks; higher GI fruit (pineapple, banana, avocado...); nuts and seeds for cooking; marmite(?)
Wk 7: 2 packs, 2 meals + snacks; pulses (won't list them)
Wk 8: 2 packs, 2 meals + snacks; baseline foods (all of above); 1st trigger week - small helping of rice/pasta/potato at one meal
Wk 9: 1 pack, 3 meals + snacks; baseline foods; wk 8 foods that don't cause you problems; trigger food: grains/cereals (at one meal)
Wk 10: 1 pack, 3 meals + snacks; baseline foods; wk 8 staples if OK; 50g cheese at one meal a day (trigger food)
Wk 11: 1 pack, 3 meals + snacks; baseline foods; wk 8 staples; trigger food: bread
Wk 12: 1 pack, 3 meals + snacks; baseline foods; wk 8 staples; trigger food: snacks - choc, crisps, sweets, jam etc. But in small amounts once a day, so don't get too excited!
Wk 13: everything! :eek: :eek:

Water too of course - gradually decreasing to 2 litres

Haven't listed everything (carnivores take note - there is meat!) but should give a general idea of the progression.

Betty, I understand your need for more energy - I felt tired towards the end of foundation - but I did wonder if there was any way you could cut down slightly on the gym? It seems quite a lot of intensive exercise - I would struggle with all that. It would be a way of cutting down on energy requirements. Of course if you get a lot of pleasure out of it (not something I can imagine, being less energetic!) then fine!

Btw, being pear shaped means your risk of heart disease and other nasties is much lower than an apple shape like me! I will say there aren't that many calories on offer for the first few weeks - I reckon I've been eating about 1100 a day since week 3/4 and that is trying hard. The idea(I think) is to build up glycogen stores slowly without a sudden, demoralising weight gain. I think it's a good programme and can't imagine "going it alone". I've found a lot of emotional "stuff" has surfaced, so I'm glad I'm not trying to lose weight. As they say, hope this helps! Good luck with your decision, but don't rush into anything.

Thank you Mrs L

I say go with your instinct IF there's no crooked thinking in the mix!

You always offer such wise words and the quote above is something I hope other people will take note of.

I have read both of AJ's threads and that has really kept me going, I have looked back through it so many times. I have seen that some people have copied what she has written and printed it out so they have a copy on them. I really should do this because there is so much information from AJ and other people that it would be a good idea. You know what it is like though, you can never find what you are looking for when you want it most!

As for my weight loss I weighed 9st 10 on Thursday and my goal was 9 and a half stone - 9 stone. I am having problems getting the ticker to show the correct loss and bmi, so I have given up on it. :banghead:

I now feel that if I can get to 9st 7 this will be fine. I feel this is the time to stop worrying about weight loss, I am healthy now and feel that I will lose a little more weight but want to concentrate more on toning. My blood pressure is also extremely low and my nurse was not very happy with it but did not stop me from carrying on with LL. I think in my head I decided a long time ago that I would go straight into management and I now feel confident that this is the right time, of course I have a few doubts but I feel a lot more positive (and the boyfriend is fed up with my mood swings too, I can't blame him) and ready now to take the next step. As my LLC said, I can always go on a refresher course if I feel I need to lose a little more and management is not for me.

Right now though, I think I am ready.

Thank you for your advice, I hope all is going ok with your journey and with regards to those books. If they are good quality books, perhaps keep some low Gi ones. But why not treat yourself to some new cookbooks when you get there and see what kind of diet you will be following. Whether it be low gi, low carb, low fat, VEGETARIAN (you should go for it), etc etc. This will then give you some more inspiration and you wont be tempted back by those old fav receipes from your old books!!

Anyway, I hope you have a great weekend and keep posting on the threads and blog, it's great reading xx :)

Goombagirl,

You are a star, :superwoman: thank you very much.

It must have taken you some time to produce that list and it is very much appreciated honey.

I am now going to start planning for the first week. I don't suppose you could tell me roughly how many grams of cottage cheese (does this have to be plain or can you have cheese and chive or whatever flavours they do now as long as it is fat free?) or quorn you can have and is it ok to split this down into to meals or is it best to have it as one as suggested?

I don't know if I am actually pear shaped, I think I am more hourglass as my shoulders and hips are the same width and I have a defined waist and bigger boobs. I have always hated my bum and legs as they have always been soft and never toned. But I think for the first time in my life I have come to terms that this is my shape and whatever weight I have been I have always had un-toned legs :jelous: If I go much lower than 9 stone 7 I think i will lose my boobs and get thinner up top which will make me look more like a pear and I don't want that.

I am sure I have seen your photo's and you look great to me, you have fab legs and look glowing (I hope these were pics of you that I saw on a thread!! If not I am sorry)

I've found a lot of emotional "stuff" has surfaced, so I'm glad I'm not trying to lose weight.

I hope you are managing to deal with this and that you are having fun too. I read that you were hoping to discuss with a relative things that happened in the past and hope that this is going well.

What week are you now in?

Again, I cant say thank you enough for your time and patience and advice.

Have a fab weekend and take care xx

Sorry one more thing, can you remind me of the costs as the food packs decrease?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Betty, they don't specify a number of grams - just talk about reasonable portions e.g. protein - palm of hand size. I actually had a lot more than that at first because I wasn't concentrating properly! The plan specifies to have your protein at just the one meal to start with. You are only supposed to have 8oz a day of veg/salad until week 5 when it goes up to 1lb. However I had more some days as I was hungry!

I've got a question for you about the toning/gym work. Like many others, my tummy is wrinkly and I am "poised" to make a big effort to do some toning exercise. I've signed up for a pilates class in June but I'd like to do more than that. What I need to know is that it's really worth making the effort to get me motivated i.e. does it work?!! In my head I know it must; just don't believe it enough to get off my backside.

I'm about to start week 6 now. I can understand your desire to get going on management - I was really pleased to be able to bypass development and get onto the next stage and the rest of my life. You're lucky to have a proper waist - it's the centripetal fat that people like me tend to accumulate that is associated with cardiac disease and lots of other conditions. I'm sure your legs and bottom are nowhere near as untoned as you think - we are always our harshest critics when it comes to body issues. I've got to the stage now where I don't care any more; just thankful to have had the chance to get my body healthy again. If the wrinkly tum is with me for ever, then so be it!:D

Dear Betty

So glad it was helpful; you sound as if you are ready. Good luck on the next part of your journey - will be thinking of you. How amazing to be in the 9s!! Well done!

Just an aside to GG - just saw your ticker and weight loss in foundation - PHENOMENAL!!! Hadn't quite realised.

Anyway, hope to catch you both up in management sometime in July/August and then I too can enjoy some threads about cottage cheese! LOL!

Have a lovely weekend.

Mrs Lxxxxxxxx

Evenin,

I've got to the stage now where I don't care any more; just thankful to have had the chance to get my body healthy again. If the wrinkly tum is with me for ever, then so be it

I am so pleased to hear you say this, well read it Gombagirl. I think that at the end of the day this is what we all need to realise, we will probably never be as perfect as we want but at least we are happy and healthy.

Im sure your tummy isn't wrinkly. But it certainly will not do you any harm to do some sort of toning and strengthening work. You will not only feel better in yourself but you will become stronger and more defined (this obviously takes time) It is certainly well worth you doing as it is meant to be very relaxing too (don't ask me how, I imagine it is the breathing techniques).

Pilates and yoga are great forms of exercise as they are not stressful on the joints and lengthen and tone the entire body. As to whether you will see results, it depends how often you go and what other forms of exercise you do.

The best way to lose weight and tone up is by combining cardio work such as walking up hills, alternating walking with jogging, getting out on a bike, or going to the gym, with weights (or bottles of water) to work the areas you want and some ab exercises. Just remember that when you ride a bike for instance you are not only working your legs as most people think. You will be burning fat and toning up all over espicially in the problem areas because you heart rate is raised and your are therefore either in a fatburning zone or cardio zone (higher heart rate).

As you don't actually need to lose weight I really think you would benefit from the pilates. Do you do any exercise? Swimming would be great for you as you are working every muscle and I think you would really feel this in your tummy. Also have a go on the fitball you were give by your LLC and do crunches and other exercise on it. I have a really good website that also shows ab exercises but it is down at the moment so I can paste the link. I promise you doing any kind of exercise on the ball will work your tummy as you have to balance on the ball at the same time so are using all your core muscles.

Any exercise you do will be beneficial, the thing is to keep it up. You will see results but it does take time and it depends how much effort you put into it.

Give it a go and see how you get on, you never know you may even really enjoy it.

Let me know how you get on.

Mrs L, it will be great when you can join in the cottage cheese debate. I have my fingers crossed that it won't be too long. By the way I am loving the blog.

Xx

Thanks for that Betty. I'm afraid my tum is wrinkly but it's usually out of sight so that's OK. I do swim every week and do a Body Balance class (mix of yoga/tai chi/pilates) and a lot of walking with the dog. I know I need to do some more focussed exercises but as you say need to keep it up so need to find a way of working it into my routine somehow. I'd forgotten about that ball - blew it up but didn't do any more! I'm a bit worried about falling off it so I'll find somewhere soft to experiment. Thanks for reminding me!

I've just caught up with your thread Betty, congratulations on getting to the end of the programme!

My own experience of moving to management was different from others' in that I was not at goal weight/BMI, but my LLC was happy for me to start management straight away. I have the management thread on the LL 'sticky' list if you want to check it out.

I wonder if subconsciously I was extra careful during management not to eat too much because I wanted to lose more weight to get to goal. It was easy for me to do that, but I have read other peoples' threads and see that it is different for everyone, some people struggle not to put on.

As well as measuring weight, are you measuring inch loss and body fat percentage regularly (monthly)? Because you are doing so much exercise (well done by the way) you will be seeing greater inchloss/fat loss results from all the toning and fat burning exercise. Don't forget to measure these losses too. If you don't lose weight or actually gain during management, it may be because you are building muscle mass, which is good.

You are right to be concerned about losing the plot about weight loss. It is something I am aware of too. I try to step back and view the situation from a distance, or think 'long term'. For me, this is a long term programme and I believe that getting to caught up in the short-term effects blinds us to the more important long-term effects.

I mean, this is for life isn't it? Does is matter if you end the programme 5, 6 or 7lbs heavier than your 'goal' weight? Isn't it more important to get a handle on your self-destructive eating habits, to control them rather than they control you? Isn't it more relevant to learn healthy eating habits FOR YOU, to take you into the future, and to finally banish the bad habits into the past for ever? It is entirely possible that, should you want to, you can lose the extra lbs eating a healthy diet over a period of weeks/months and then concentrate on MAINTAINING your goal weight for life.

I am learning to maintain at the moment. It is a challenge, but the relief of only having to think about a couple of lbs here or there is wonderful. Rather than the old days, when several excess stone was staring me in the face every day.

I don't know if this helps, but sometimes we cannot see the wood for the trees and stepping back and re-assessing long term goals helps to get things in perspective.

Goombagirl, good luck with the ball, I promise you since I have started doing crunches on the ball I have notice my tummy tightening up so I know it works if you give it time, yep make sure you have a soft landing.

You seem to be doing all the right exercise cardio wise and if you are eating healthiy now you will see the benefit over time. AJ has posted in her management journey thread about her tummy and skin, have a look.

xx

I

AJ,

Thank you once again for the words of wisdom and experience.

I am pleased as I weighed myself this morning and have now lost exactly 3 stone. I am hoping to lose another 2 pounds in the next week which will mean I start management at 9st7. I will be happy with that. Have been in the gym like a looney last couple of days to burn the extra calories as I am not doing anything and am not at work. Fingers crossed it pays off.

Your management journey was the thing that has kept me going over the past 14 weeks, I don't think I would have made it without that and the encouragement from this site. I often go back to look at the recepies!!

You are right to be concerned about losing the plot about weight loss. It is something I am aware of too. I try to step back and view the situation from a distance, or think 'long term'. For me, this is a long term programme and I believe that getting to caught up in the short-term effects blinds us to the more important long-term effects.

I finally think I have got my head sorted (well a little) about this, this is why I think it is so important for me to go into management or I could see myself slipping down the slippery path to another half a stone and then another until it ends up out of control again.

I never took the measurements myself, only my LLC's measurements. I could not bring myself too. I was to disgusted by how big I had got in such a short space of time (once again) Little Blue lent me her body fat monitor a couple of weeks ago, I was horrified that my body fat percentage was still bad and not healthy and by how few calories I would need to substain the current weight at that time. I carry a lot of fat around the bum and thighs (that is my shape, I have come to terms with that now)

I mean, this is for life isn't it? Does is matter if you end the programme 5, 6 or 7lbs heavier than your 'goal' weight? Isn't it more important to get a handle on your self-destructive eating habits, to control them rather than they control you? Isn't it more relevant to learn healthy eating habits FOR YOU, to take you into the future, and to finally banish the bad habits into the past for ever? It is entirely possible that, should you want to, you can lose the extra lbs eating a healthy diet over a period of weeks/months and then concentrate on MAINTAINING your goal weight for life.

This is so true, it for life this time. I am thinking about a happy healthy future, just going to have to watch those crooked thoughts don't creep back in. I am hoping that I could lose a little more weight in management and over the coming months as you say by exercise and eating healthily. I just can't wait to get to your stage and hopefully have the free feeling that some others have mentioned. I think it is important for me to realise this is unlikely and that I must work at it and take a back seat at times to evaluate my destructive thoughts.

Thank you for your response, I am loving reading about your journey and your experience, it is very reassuring.

Hope all of you are having a good day xx

Dear Betty

Thanks for your lovely comments about the blog; I really did appreciate them. I'm just having quick break between the pre-move chaos!

You said "I never took the measurements myself, only my LLC's measurements. I could not bring myself too. I was to disgusted by how big I had got in such a short space of time", which I totally understand. I haven't measured myself either although my weight gain hasn't been sudden - just increasing with my age!

Well done for losing 3 stone; that's just absolutely fantastic!

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you and the great thing here is that there is lots of support so you definitely won't be on your own.

This is also a great thread, by the way, so well done!!

Take care and keep us posted (ha ha!)

Mrs L xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hia Betty,

".....I was horrified that my body fat percentage was still bad and not healthy...."

Now you know your starting point, keep doing what you are doing and you will slowly start to see improvements. You don't need to check it more than once a month though.

As far as measurements are concerned. I would not measure myself either, but I was looking at the original figures when I started LL and found that I have lost an amazing 15 inches from my waist alone, taking it into a healthy range. Great stuff.

To add to what I was saying about seeing weight loss/weight maintenance in the long term, I am always interested to hear how long-standing members of my management group are getting on. They don't come along every week, but pop in every so often to be weighed and have a chat with our LLC. It is great when they stay to join in with the rest of us because their wisdom and knowledge gives us hope for ourselves. Although, sadly, we will not wake up tomorrow with a 'slim mind' to go with our 'slim body' we hear how weight gain does not have to mean throwing the towel in and sabotaging ourselves big time any more. It just means cutting back for a short period. Sometimes these members will go back to the discipline of using packs again.

Hi Aj,

Have only just managed to get on the net, I feel like I have been away for ages.

Someone in my development group told us they got a body fat monitor from Lloyds Pharmacy for £4.99 I think it was, I may have to see if I can get hold of one. Although, I think in some ways it is horrible knowing your fat percentage, but as you said once a month would be fine to keep an eye on it.

I start management on Monday and am ever so nervous - I see Mrs Lard has posted a thread saying how nervous she was moving to development. I feel the same, unsettled and sad as I loved my foundation group. I am excited and looking forard to moving to Management though as I have been waiting for what feels like eternity (I am sorry to all of you who have got a lot longer to go before getting to management - I think you are all stars) but I am so nervous about meeting the group as it is not closed and eating proper solid food. I hope it doesn't develop into a phobia!

I am going to think of what you have said about cutting back as and when needed, I remember reading on your thread about a lady you work with who cuts back on the choccie etc for a few weeks when her skirts feel tight and then goes back to normal, this is a good idea of having your cake and eating it (well not in so many words unfortunately)

Thank you for your help, I am sure there will be many more questions as the weeks go on.

Thank you to everyone who has read this thread and commented, it means a lot. I would never have got here without you. I hope that some others have found the info in this thread as helpful.

Thank you xx

Good luck with the cottage cheese tomorrow! Is Monday when you have your first management meeting? Hope it all goes well.

Thanks Goombagirl,

I am very nervous about starting in the new group and actually eating again. I am pleased that one of the lovely ladies who is in my group will be moving to management with me.

On the way home from the gym this morning I thought I would get me cottage cheese. I have spent weeks researching which is the lowest fat, carbs, sugar, cal etc. Decided to pop into waitrose as I walked passed to see what they had on offer. Decided just to go with their Perfectly Balanced natural. Wasn't sure if I could have the cheese and chive one which I really fancy (this contains obviously chives and lemon juice so realised that was out for now).

Got home had a look at the ingrediants against a pack and realised I don't know how much to eat because it is lower in fat, cals etc than the packs. It is now sitting in my fridge and it is for me, feels strange having bought food for me and having this in the house for me too.

I did do something awful though, I bought my boyfriend a Waitrose cheesecake pot that you add sauce to. They have two bases digestive and flapjack to choose from, went with digestive. It is topped with vanilla cheescake and you buy a small topping sauce (choose choc brownie). They look lovely. I was thinking I can't have one, they are on offer and he would love it although he needs to diet too. I was being a nuturing parent and felt guilty buying it as he has been eating so much rubbish recently. He was appreciative though and will now start a diet and exercise regime tommorow (once again).

My First meeting is tomorrow at 8pm so I think I will actually start on Tuesday.

Were you nervous when you started eating something more solid like quorn or tofu? I am so scared I am thinking of putting it off until Friday or Saturday and see how my stomach copes with the cottage cheese.

Thank you so much for remembering hunny, it's great to have some support and I value your advice.

I shall let you know how I get on.

xx

:party0049:

Back