Marathon Training

thats putting me off too sally, i dont want an injury and have to back out of my half marathon in 5 weeks. ive seen people out running but i dont want to risk it, my reacurring knee pain is enough right now. had it for monthes and i just try to ignore it.

Same no training for me I don't want an injury!

i considered buying some ice grips for my trainers, but by the time i can get some money out of the bank it wont be snowy anymore.

I went out at 8.30am with my trail shoes on and stayed on the road as much as possible as there was hardly any traffic. It was ok, even when it started snowing and I managed 7.6 miles. I then went to my new gym and did about 30 mins on the tread and 30 mins on the cross trainer, then had a play on some of the weight machines. I will need to come up with some sort of programme for working out on the weight machines - advice welcome! I also plan to do a circuit class on a Wednesday, Pilates on Thursday and aquafit on Sunday. The gym is really quiet late at night and it's lovely in there :)

Has anyone heard of RaceReady running shorts? I've been looking for a good way to carry gels and came across them - highly recommended on many forums. They are from the US but available in the UK from this shop: RaceReady Shorts UK & Ireland | ULTRAmarathonRunningStore.com How do you all carry gels? What advice can you give me?

:) Ta x

Hi Sally

I always buy bottoms with pockets, so at the minute i have a few pairs of Nike ones, which I fit one gel in. Then I wear a top with pockets and have another in there. Never needed more than 2. I've bought a waist belt thing for my marathon, which holds two smallish bottles of water and has room for gels. not tried it out yet but fingers crossed it will be comfortable.

The shorts you are looking at look good. I've never run in shorts, but am planning on getting cycling shorts for my marathon and to train in in the run up to it (It will be April/ May so hopefully a bit warmer than it is now :)!

i buy my pants with pockets in already, got a top with a little pocket in the side too.

failing that i just put the gels in my ipod arm band. i hold the ipod instead.

After some advice please ladies...

Im struggling with headaches after runs but im going to the docs tomorrow, hopefully its just a coincidence as I don't want or need anything else hindering my training (or lack of!)

What i'm really after is advice about my knees....

Some of you may remember that I struggle with them a bit but the other day I ran 10k on the dreadmill and at mile 5 they just went, I couldn't put weight on them and had to walk the last mile - Torture as I was doing ok up until then!!

I'm not a fast runner - it took me 80mins to do 10k in the end but I really worried about my knees and have only done a 2miler since.

Do you think I should 'start again' and train like abeginner and see if it helps rather than trying tooo hard too quickly?? Ive had a month off from running, not a natural runner and perhaps expecting 10k is too much?

Whats your thoughts??

Should probably mention that I had no knee pain the day after, just whilst running.

xx

managed a 7.5 mile treadmill run.
also didnt realise i looked like a murder victim at the same time. red hair dye, and sweat dont well, add a white shirt and i looked like a proper victim :rolleyes:

no wonder i got stared at and asked if i was ok.....

also forgot i wasnt on the streets, and sang along to my ipod. i will be forever ashamed of the singing incident

10 weeks today until the marathon.

one of my run days is thursday, im also being sedated thursday morning. got to manage the run early morning on an empty stomach, boo. its only 3 miles so not too bad. i am allowed water i hope, just not food 4 hours before. if i want any breakfast ill have to eat it at 5 am :/ even booked that day off work to fit in my run

15 miles ran, feet hurt but so satisfying know ive done it!

Had a awful run today, ended up spraining my ankle halfway through and then found out my runkeeper had turned itself off anyway so I have no idea how well or badly I did

oh no, get an ice pack or some frozen pea's on that ankle! hope it heals soon for you :(

my distance tracker died on me too, ut i knew i had 3 miles until the run home left when it died on me. lucky my HRM has a timer on it

I'm sad today ladies, my knees couldn't cope and I had to walk home :-(

Going to have to go to the docs and hope they take me seriously, I'm scared they won't for some reason?

I'm sad today ladies, my knees couldn't cope and I had to walk home :-(

Going to have to go to the docs and hope they take me seriously, I'm scared they won't for some reason?

but you tried lucy, more than others would do. walking is better than sitting afetrall :) look at the positives.
good luck at the docs

bought a garmin HRM off amazon.
RRP £350 paid £135....
cant rely on my phone to track distance, it dosent have a long battery life and lasts 2 hours if im using an app.

but you tried lucy, more than others would do. walking is better than sitting afetrall :) look at the positives.
good luck at the docs

Thanks gina, for weeks I've struggled on the treadmill but when your out doors you've gotta finish and get home!
I don't know why I'm so worried about going to the docs, I mean if I had back pain I'd go so why I think I can't go with knee pain I don't know!

they will probably blame the running. i dont like going to my docs, last time it was a food allergy i didnt know i had, but they instantly took one look and blamed it on a tongue piercing!

i still get bad hip pains in my left leg but nothing will clear that up, its the leg i had to have physio on!

Hi girls

I've ben out of the loop a bit recently. Life seems to have taken over and my running has taken a step back. Beginning to panic a bit now - I ran 4 miles comfortably this morning, first time I have run outside for about 4 weeks, but I really need to get on with the marathon plan. Just need a kick, and another 3 or 4 days built into each week!

Lucy - I had problems with my knees, not sure how to describe how it felt, but it was a pain at the bottom of each knee, like my knee cap was rubbing against something. I didn't go to the doctor, but I found that a rest over Christmas really helped. For me, I think it was just the pressure of having upped my miles, but if it had lasted any longer I would definitely have gone to the doctor - even if they say there is nothing wrong, as least you have been and got it checked out.

when is your marathon rachel?

Back