Marathon Training

Hey Phoenyx - I'm doing Paris too. I can't wait!! I ran 17 miles on Saturday and planning 18 for next Saturday, but not sure how I'm going to manage 26.2!! Is this your first marathon? It is mine.

17 miles, well done!

I ran London a decade ago, but since then have had a wedding, 2 kids and a divorce - how time flies! I'm nowhere near as fit, after I signed up for Paris I got ill, then moved house, so am a little behind in my training. Longest run to date is 14 miles, but felt I could go another couple so not too worried. I am disappointed that i won't be near my London time of 4.30, I just haven't been consistent enough in my training.

Bramley 20 on 17th feb, and I should have time to fit in another 20 and an 18 before the big day...

Have you booked travel etc yet? I've been meaning to, but haven't got round to it yet!

I might be doing a half on the 11th March, going to do a run on Thursdayy just a short one 4 or 5 miles, then on Saturday I'm just going to run as far as I can on the treadmill, depending on how far that is I will start training for the half :) hopefully it will be further then I think.

now im over the half marathon mark i dont feel as nervous about the marathon, determiend more than ever to complete it. spent what feels like forever training for this, so to give up would be a waste of my time.
changed my diet for it, sat - thurs i eat normal, fri is carb day in prep for the long saturday run. need to sort out more music for my playlists, something i cant sing along too so easily.... its quite embarrassing running along realising your singing out loud with someone walking behind you.

Gina - what kind of things are you eating on your carb days? Presumably pasta or something for dinner, but do you eat mainly carbs for lunch as well?

Been to running club tonight. We did lots of pace work and then lots of running up stairs - my legs are hurting already, but no pain no gain!!

Last edited:
yeah pasta and rice mainly. rice pudding, pasta microwave meals (at work!), more pasta..... onl my longer runs ive brought out a jelly baby for each mile i do. so on saturday ill bring 15 jelly babies, have one at each mile! keeps me going more than the gels do

yeah pasta and rice mainly. rice pudding, pasta microwave meals (at work!), more pasta..... onl my longer runs ive brought out a jelly baby for each mile i do. so on saturday ill bring 15 jelly babies, have one at each mile! keeps me going more than the gels do

My mum swears by the little packs of mini jelly babies.... which are really hard to get hold of so we have to keep our eyes out whenever we're shopping lol

Hi all - do you think doing a 1/2 marathon (Reading) 5 weeks before the marathon (London) and then a 20 mile race (Hyde Park) 4 weeks before it, is a good idea?

I heard some arguments that races are not good as you end up going to fast or thought these two one after the other may be too much?

My goal for the marathon is no longer than 5 hours, and my longest run so far was 12miles if that helps!

17 miles, well done!

I ran London a decade ago, but since then have had a wedding, 2 kids and a divorce - how time flies! I'm nowhere near as fit, after I signed up for Paris I got ill, then moved house, so am a little behind in my training. Longest run to date is 14 miles, but felt I could go another couple so not too worried. I am disappointed that i won't be near my London time of 4.30, I just haven't been consistent enough in my training.

Bramley 20 on 17th feb, and I should have time to fit in another 20 and an 18 before the big day...

Have you booked travel etc yet? I've been meaning to, but haven't got round to it yet!

Yep. My husband and I are going for four nights - Friday to Tuesday. We're flying Birmingham to CDG and staying south of the city near the orbital road in a cheap hotel (Travelodge style!). I spent a day playing on the internet and working out logistics, so I hope it all goes to plan. We're on the tram line to the expo centre, so that bit should be handy and I plan to do a practice run on the Metro on the Saturday to make sure I know how to get there on the Sunday.

Hi all - do you think doing a 1/2 marathon (Reading) 5 weeks before the marathon (London) and then a 20 mile race (Hyde Park) 4 weeks before it, is a good idea?

I heard some arguments that races are not good as you end up going to fast or thought these two one after the other may be too much?

My goal for the marathon is no longer than 5 hours, and my longest run so far was 12miles if that helps!

It's up to you, races can be good because you get used to the atmosphere ect. and if you think they'll push you to do the running you need to do then maybe they'll be good for you. If you do enter them, see them as training runs and don't try to get a great time and then you shouldn't run too fast :)

I'm lagging behind you all at the moment, ran 4.86 miles tonight, took 48 minutes, really enjoyed it and we got a little bit of hill training in there as well, which is what I need partly because its good for me and partly because the half I'm thinking of running is quite hilly at the end apparently. There's a massive hill near me, I might practice running down and back up that when I'm not doing my long runs (so during the week if I get time, maybe swap it for some of my crosstrainer sessions)

i prefer doing races before a big event, i hadnt fone anything as big as a half and on the day i felt very nervous to the point of throwing up. now i nkow how the day feels its better, im not nervous about my half in 2 weeks :)

Got my long run on my mums treadmill tomorrow, going to just see how far I can push myself to run, will be disappointed if I don't make it to 6 miles, but hopefully will do at least 7. I did 4.86 on Thursday so it should be do-able (I didn't find it really difficult, I really enjoyed it)

If I manage it I will also start hill training next week. Will feel like an idiot just running down the hill and back up again, but it will be good training for the half marathon. Oh well that's if we don't have the snow which is due this weekend... well I might be brave and go out if its snowed, just depends how icy it is and how cold it is, but I have a nice running coat which kept me warm but not too warm on Thursday and also invested in one of those tube things for my neck and face and found it helped make running in the cold a lot easier. Wasn't as cold on Thursday as it will be the next few days though.

seen some of the little bags of jelly babies, was going to buy some until i saw the date on them. best before march!
i dont eat anything out of date, i dont want food poisoning

Thanks for the advice re. Races I will see how the next few weeks of long runs go as at the moment I really enjoy them (gone up to 12 miles) so feel I will be motivated enough to go higher without a race

Nice to read all your updates and progress

I too am meant to do some hill training this week and did picture the odd scene of running up and down a hill!!

Went to the doctor about my knee and what was his advice - stop running :-(

Oh no, permanently? Could you have a break away for a bit then build back up?

Managed a 7.5 mile run on Thursday night, which I found relatively easy. Think its helped me get over the mild panic that was setting in about lack of training. ONwards and upwards now. Aiming for anything between 7 - 9 miles tomorrow. Fingers crossed the weather isn't as bad as forecasted so that I can actually make it outside. I'm sick of the treadmill :-(

Thanks for the advice re. Races I will see how the next few weeks of long runs go as at the moment I really enjoy them (gone up to 12 miles) so feel I will be motivated enough to go higher without a race

Nice to read all your updates and progress

I too am meant to do some hill training this week and did picture the odd scene of running up and down a hill!!

Don't know when I'm going to get chance to do my hill training, might do it in half term instead of going to my running club for at least one of the sessions... def want to do it, but don't want to over train either.

I did 7.2 miles on the treadmill today, really impressed as I was aiming for 6 or 7, I felt like I could have done longer but since I hadn't even run 5 miles before (just under) I didn't want to increase too much. My mum is entering a 9 mile race the week before our half marathon and thinks I should do that, I'm going to aim for between 8 and 9 miles for my long run next weekend :)

Does anyone else find the first mile is the hardest, as I was doing it I was just thinking why am I doing this I'm never going to make it that far, but once I'm past that I find it really easy and enjoyable.

started off the run really well today, got to mile 6 and was getting pain back of my leg. had tyo walk and by mile 7.5 it was that painful i had to call home and get a lift.
think its my hamstring, my dads knows medical stuffso he just said best thing to do is rest it and put heat on it. i have no deep heat cream/spray but a hot bath soothed it

started off the run really well today, got to mile 6 and was getting pain back of my leg. had tyo walk and by mile 7.5 it was that painful i had to call home and get a lift.
think its my hamstring, my dads knows medical stuffso he just said best thing to do is rest it and put heat on it. i have no deep heat cream/spray but a hot bath soothed it

Oh no :(
Glad the bath soothed it and hope its feeling completely better soon.

Hope it feels better soon Gina.

Back