Marathon Training

Thanks ladies, and although it sounds like I'm making excuses now.... I also need new trainers, still using a pair of my mums old ones and could feel all the cushioning had gone. Going to get tested to see what sort I need today, def need to now I'm running longer distance.

It uses my battery up quite a bit so don't know how far I can run before it completely die's, it does me for now though until I can afford a garmin, I might either treat myself after my Birthday or ask my mum and boyfriend to go halves on one for my Birthday. But that isn't until May, which seems like an age away lol.

i bought my garmin cheap off amazon! came to £119 i think

i have back ache today after yesterdays run :(

Have my new trainers.... love them. Will be a bit silly if I know I'm going on a muddy run though as really won't want to get them mucky... at least not to start with (sad I know)

runkeeper still won't update my run yesterday gah... also think I might have done more then 7.7 miles as I started and finished in the same place, but runkeeper is showing my end quite a bit on so I'm guessing it stopped when I took my jacket off and put my phone in my friends backpack... so I probably did over 8 miles :) wish I knew exactly how much, really need a garmin

I love my Garmin Forerunner 10 and only £99. I may have posted this here before, but for those of you who missed it - if you buy it from Tesco you can use your Clubcard vouchers towards it and save some more pounds :)

i didnt need a garmin until i was doing 13 miles plus on my weekend runs, my phone battery was almost dead after 13 miles but it did not survive 15 miles at all....

I love my Garmin Forerunner 10 and only £99. I may have posted this here before, but for those of you who missed it - if you buy it from Tesco you can use your Clubcard vouchers towards it and save some more pounds :)

I don't have many vouchers at the moment but if tesco were one of the cheapest when I go to buy one I was planning on going there to get the points. After just spending £110 on trainers and more on the test to see what sort I needed I think I need a bit of a break from expensive running equipment. Might ask for money off people who just spend 20-ish pounds for my Birthday as it adds up then.

i didnt need a garmin until i was doing 13 miles plus on my weekend runs, my phone battery was almost dead after 13 miles but it did not survive 15 miles at all....

That's good to know, so my phone may last me until my Birthday as the longest run I have booked so far (other then the marathon) is 14 miles and that's July....

I do need something else to keep my phone in though, my coat will only do when its cold and I did buy an arm strap but my arms are too slim for it... might try putting some saftey pins in it, but it makes my arm uncomfortable when running as well.

I would like one of those running back packs with the bladder in, but again moneys tight at the minute

Girls, I have a problem - I ran 12 miles on Wednesday and then 6 miles this morning. I now have pain in my left leg, just to the right of my shin, from the ankle about half way up my leg. It's fine when I am sitting but when I flex my foot and walk its really sore. Anyone had anything similar sounding before?! I don't want to interrupt my running schedule but think I need to rest it a bit.

I don't about your pain Rachael but you should get it checked out or at least rest it for a bit and see if it improves.

I ran 20 miles today and am exhausted. I chose a downhill start of 4 miles, followed by 12 miles flat then 4 miles back up the hill. I think I'll make sure my next 20 mile run is either flat or has a downhill at the end!

I think I've sorted my gel carrying dilemma for marathon day. I bought a pair of men's Ronhill trail shorts yesterday to wear over my tights which have four pockets for gels plus two elastic loops (also for gels) and a zip pocket that will hold a phone/keys. They are comfy too (here is the link: Trail Cargo Short | Men's Trail Collection | Ron Hill).

I also bought a gorgeous Saucony jacket in a watermelon sort of colour which was brilliant on my run today. I have loads of old jackets from my bigger days that I need to get rid of, so going to use one on marathon morning that I can discard at the start line. I'm pretty sure I've thought of everything now!!

I also survived a 21km cross country race last Sunday and managed a 5.5 mile run Wednesday and 9.5 mile fast run Thursday. That means I've done 47 miles in the last seven days! Not too long ago I was excited to do that many miles in a month :)

rachrl, i also dont know about your pain but id get it checked out.

sally sounds like your doing fab and seems like you have everything planned. fab milage, i did 6 ob Thursday and 6.25 today (dont measure miles on tuesday as its training) i thought id done well, your putting me to shame ;)

wanted to do more miles today but we were testing a route for a new race and it was harder terrainr then im used to and also lots of hills so hoping that will make up for the lack of hills.

now i have a dilema over the next few weeks, I have 9 miles on Sunday and a half marathon the following sunday... so my plan for this week is usual training Tuesday, 5 - 7 miles on Thursday and then the 9 miles Sunday, then the followibg week usual training Tuesday, 3-ish miles Thursday then the half marathon Sunday... this has been suggested to me as i havent run that far before so taking it easier the week between the two races, or should i do 5-7 miles on the Thursday before, my plan for the half is to just take it really easy and not worry about a time as long as I finish.
what do you guys think?

I like your Plan A. Take it easy in the lead up to the half to save your legs and energy. Take it easy on the half, enjoy it and keep some energy back for the last few miles. I love the feeling of giving it my all to the finish line!

I think I'll do that, just signed up for the half marathon.... no backing out now, eeee scary stuff.... excited though. Realised if I registered through the runners world website I didn't need my UKAthletics number just had to put that I which club I was a member of, it cost £2 more but I was willing to pay £2 to go as unaffiliated so at least I will still be under the club in the results now :)

Oh and I also found some black running tights with blue on them which I've been looking for as they go with our club T-Shirt colours haha, borrowing one of my mums for these races but looking forward to ordering my own next time they do an order as she always buys medium where as I like running in smalls.

Sally - 20 miles is amazing! How long did it take you? And how far away is your run now?

ive just joined a new Bootcamp and there are a few girls there doing the same marathon as me. They have invited me to go on long runs with them, which is lovely. I've never run with anyone else before though on long distances? Do you all run alone or with people?

i run alone, but thats out of preference.

done my 2nd half marathon :D im on a running high. done it in the same timing as my first which im pleased about, id have been annoyed if it was longer.

Sally - 20 miles is amazing! How long did it take you? And how far away is your run now?

ive just joined a new Bootcamp and there are a few girls there doing the same marathon as me. They have invited me to go on long runs with them, which is lovely. I've never run with anyone else before though on long distances? Do you all run alone or with people?

20 miles took about 3:20. I ran with a lady I met at running club and I tried to stay at 10 min miles but the first 5 miles were down hill so we went a bit faster, the next 10 miles were quite flat and the last bit was back up the hill so that was slower. I usually run on my own but run with the club once a week. I've done a few longer runs with friends and it makes a nice change and usually makes me run faster. I sometimes run with my dog too and plan to do more of that once I've bought myself a new waist belt and line.

My marathon is 6 weeks away and I have a half marathon two weeks before that. My schedule says two more 20 milers and I think I'll do one of these on my own and the other with a group. I'm going to make sure these are on the flat or at least finish on a downhill! The half marathon is a similar route to yesterday's 20 miler - starting and finishing on the same hill, so I'm feeling more confident about that seeing there will be less miles in between! My 21k cross country last weekend was very hilly too, so I figure I've done plenty of hill work and Paris is pretty flat :)

i run alone, but thats out of preference.

done my 2nd half marathon :D im on a running high. done it in the same timing as my first which im pleased about, id have been annoyed if it was longer.

well done :)

No idea what time I'm looking at for my half in two weeks.... it will set something for me to aim for next time :)

20 miles took about 3:20. I ran with a lady I met at running club and I tried to stay at 10 min miles but the first 5 miles were down hill so we went a bit faster, the next 10 miles were quite flat and the last bit was back up the hill so that was slower. I usually run on my own but run with the club once a week. I've done a few longer runs with friends and it makes a nice change and usually makes me run faster. I sometimes run with my dog too and plan to do more of that once I've bought myself a new waist belt and line.

My marathon is 6 weeks away and I have a half marathon two weeks before that. My schedule says two more 20 milers and I think I'll do one of these on my own and the other with a group. I'm going to make sure these are on the flat or at least finish on a downhill! The half marathon is a similar route to yesterday's 20 miler - starting and finishing on the same hill, so I'm feeling more confident about that seeing there will be less miles in between! My 21k cross country last weekend was very hilly too, so I figure I've done plenty of hill work and Paris is pretty flat :)

Sounds like you are doing really well Sally. And 3hrs 20 for 20 miles is fantastic! Have you got a time in mind for the marathon itself?

I'm going to go out at least once with the bootcamp ladies and see what its like. My worry is they may be faster than me, but our half marathon times are pretty similar, only 5 - 10 minutes difference (me being the slower), so should be fine. I think it will help push me on at times when I might otherwise want to stop!!

I'm doing the Liverpool half marathon in three weeks, really want to beat my last time which was 2hrs 5 minutes. Would love to get it in under 2 hours but we'll see how things go on the day.

Did my first race yesterday 9 miles in 1 hour 23 minutes 13 seconds :)

Thats brilliant Donna - well done!

it seems to have gone quiet on here, hope everyone is getting on ok.

Back