Marathon Training

Thank you,

yeah I noticed it was very quiet... a few races over the next 2 / 3 weeks for most of us, maybe we're all busy training (although I'm relaxing as much as I can now before my half) running around playing tig with the kids at school but other then that I just have training which I'll take steady tomorrow and a short run on Thursday, excited for my half.

I've been busy running, walking dogs, parkrun volunteering, fundraising and going to aquafit. All going well though :) Longest run 20 miles and I survived. Took my little terrier on a 17 mile run and she survived too!! Oh, and I'm loving my new shorts with the gel pockets!

parkrun yesterday - 5km in 24:34 and ran my fastest mile ever - 7:38. I am over the moon with that :)

Sally - thanks amazing, well done! Do you do the park run regularly? I keep meaning to go but the one near me looks quite intimidating.

I've run 15 miles in training today, took 2 hours 22 minutes so I'm pretty happy with that, though I am in pain now! I'm doing Liverpool half marathon a week today, hoping to make it round in under 2 hours but we'll see how it goes.

I wish I had the patience to train myself to run that far, I have the willpower to do 90 day training programs, hard diet programs. But when it comes to running I just cant seem to stick to it. I run the odd 5k but other than that I can't seem to make myself try harder.

Evans - have you tried setting yourself goals? Maybe you could sign up to an event, say a 10k, to motivate you and keep you on track? I was plodding along with my running, and had sort of stagnated at 8miles for my longest run, so I entered a half marathon and the focus of that helped me to build up my mileage.

Evans - have you tried setting yourself goals? Maybe you could sign up to an event, say a 10k, to motivate you and keep you on track? I was plodding along with my running, and had sort of stagnated at 8miles for my longest run, so I entered a half marathon and the focus of that helped me to build up my mileage.

That's a good idea actually! My OH wants to enter a 10k!
I could join him.

I don't about your pain Rachael but you should get it checked out or at least rest it for a bit and see if it improves.

I ran 20 miles today and am exhausted. I chose a downhill start of 4 miles, followed by 12 miles flat then 4 miles back up the hill. I think I'll make sure my next 20 mile run is either flat or has a downhill at the end!

I think I've sorted my gel carrying dilemma for marathon day. I bought a pair of men's Ronhill trail shorts yesterday to wear over my tights which have four pockets for gels plus two elastic loops (also for gels) and a zip pocket that will hold a phone/keys. They are comfy too (here is the link: Trail Cargo Short | Men's Trail Collection | Ron Hill).

I also bought a gorgeous Saucony jacket in a watermelon sort of colour which was brilliant on my run today. I have loads of old jackets from my bigger days that I need to get rid of, so going to use one on marathon morning that I can discard at the start line. I'm pretty sure I've thought of everything now!!

I also survived a 21km cross country race last Sunday and managed a 5.5 mile run Wednesday and 9.5 mile fast run Thursday. That means I've done 47 miles in the last seven days! Not too long ago I was excited to do that many miles in a month :)

Oooh well done on your running! I love the look of your shorts - but confused over the sizing, what size are you and what size did you get in these shorts? I'm a size 14, so I was thinking medium but they're quite expensive to go wrong with...

Did my first half marathon today... it actually went amazing, I struggled to get into my stride so first 2 miles were hard but after that I actually didn't struggle at all, took a gel at mile 6 and another at mile 10 but there was no wall and I actually enjoyed the whole thing. Was quite a hilly half and I enjoy hills (always wary of saying that as obviously if I'm having a bad run they can be quite hard) but I actually loved it, was more enjoyable then my 9 miles last week. Completed it in just over 2 hours (still waiting on official results, will update when they come out)

Did my first half marathon today... it actually went amazing, I struggled to get into my stride so first 2 miles were hard but after that I actually didn't struggle at all, took a gel at mile 6 and another at mile 10 but there was no wall and I actually enjoyed the whole thing. Was quite a hilly half and I enjoy hills (always wary of saying that as obviously if I'm having a bad run they can be quite hard) but I actually loved it, was more enjoyable then my 9 miles last week. Completed it in just over 2 hours (still waiting on official results, will update when they come out)

Congratulations! It wasn't the Longleat half, was it? I did that today and it was surprisingly hilly! I finished in 2.13 (slightly slower than expected but not surprised because of the hills!

Congratulations! It wasn't the Longleat half, was it? I did that today and it was surprisingly hilly! I finished in 2.13 (slightly slower than expected but not surprised because of the hills!

No it was retford... for some reason when I entered I thought it was flat... but was warned a couple of weeks ago that it wasn't, like I say though I enjoy the hills in a weird way. Well done on yours as well, still a good time :)

Oooh well done on your running! I love the look of your shorts - but confused over the sizing, what size are you and what size did you get in these shorts? I'm a size 14, so I was thinking medium but they're quite expensive to go wrong with...

I'm a size 10 and the small fit perfectly. I think the mediums would be a size 14. I bought mine at a local running shop so got to try them on first. I too prefer to try before I buy . . .

Sally - thanks amazing, well done! Do you do the park run regularly? I keep meaning to go but the one near me looks quite intimidating.

I've run 15 miles in training today, took 2 hours 22 minutes so I'm pretty happy with that, though I am in pain now! I'm doing Liverpool half marathon a week today, hoping to make it round in under 2 hours but we'll see how it goes.

Don't be intimidated by parkrun - there is a great atmosphere and all sorts of people are there. My local parkrun is new - started 16th Feb and I volunteered at the first three, so last Saturday was the first time I had run. I'm volunteering the next two weeks, so it will be a while before I run it again.

There are lots of people from local running clubs who run super fast and they are inspiring to watch. Then there are families, dogs, babies in prams, people new to running and walkers. Everyone is made to feel welcome and congratulated on their achievements. I love it and by volunteering I'm meeting new people and training partners.

Here is a good tip to share: I now do my long run on a Saturday after the parkrun. I get up at 7am and have a big breakfast, put my running clothes on and then my ski clothes over the top. I drive to the park for just after 8am and do my parkrun volunteering. This is finished by 10am and I then strip my ski clothes off and go for my long run - up to 20 miles. I return to the park and drive home feeling great because my long run is done and I've done my bit by volunteering.

One guy from my running club combined the parkrun with his long run by running 12 miles on his own and arriving at the park for the 9am start, then ran the 3 miles chatting to fellow runners along the way, then running a few miles back home. He said the parkrun broke the monotony of the long run and he enjoyed it!

My last post of the night . . .!

A guy from my running club posted on Facebook tonight that a colleague of his is running in the Ironbridge Half Marathon dressed in a fireman's uniform and boots whilst attempting a Guinness world record by finishing in under 2 hours 15 mins (he's aiming for 2:08). In order to have it verified he needs a professional person to run behind him. I thought it would be fun to chase a fireman for 13.1 miles so I've volunteered!!

:whip:

One guy from my running club combined the parkrun with his long run by running 12 miles on his own and arriving at the park for the 9am start, then ran the 3 miles chatting to fellow runners along the way, then running a few miles back home. He said the parkrun broke the monotony of the long run and he enjoyed it!

I love that idea! I also used to arrange to meet friends who ran shorter distances on the last 3-5 miles of a long run to reinvigorate me.

My last post of the night . . .!

A guy from my running club posted on Facebook tonight that a colleague of his is running in the Ironbridge Half Marathon dressed in a fireman's uniform and boots whilst attempting a Guinness world record by finishing in under 2 hours 15 mins (he's aiming for 2:08). In order to have it verified he needs a professional person to run behind him. I thought it would be fun to chase a fireman for 13.1 miles so I've volunteered!!

:whip:

Sooo jealous!

Back