Marathon Training

My last post of the night . . .!

A guy from my running club posted on Facebook tonight that a colleague of his is running in the Ironbridge Half Marathon dressed in a fireman's uniform and boots whilst attempting a Guinness world record by finishing in under 2 hours 15 mins (he's aiming for 2:08). In order to have it verified he needs a professional person to run behind him. I thought it would be fun to chase a fireman for 13.1 miles so I've volunteered!!

:whip:

Sounds good

That is a fantastic time and sets you up a lovely goal for the next one...well done!

Thank you, I'm still on a high from it

Here is an article about parkrun from The Guardian: 'A parkrun is an unusual, even beautiful sight'

I'd love to do a park run but my closest one is still quite far away :(

Training session was brilliant last night, I was put in a group with just blokes so had to work extra hard to keep up, which is quite good as I feel I should push myself harder on my Tuesday training sessions but when I'm with people my own ability its easier to hang back a little and not push myself that little bit harder. I'm not aching this morning either which I thought maybe I would be after my half and then having a tough training session, but I feel great :)

I'm deciding on my next race now. I've got Paris marathon in 3 and a half weeks, but need something for May. I think it'll either be the Black Death in Taunton (10 miles, trail, v hilly) or the Tewksbury half. What are you up to next?

I'm deciding on my next race now. I've got Paris marathon in 3 and a half weeks, but need something for May. I think it'll either be the Black Death in Taunton (10 miles, trail, v hilly) or the Tewksbury half. What are you up to next?

my next one is a 10k at the end of March, then I have some fast but short races (about 5 miles) hoping that it will be good for my training as I'm good at long distance but not very good at running shorter distances fast.

I'm going to be naughty and run a half marathon the week after my marathon.... doing it in fancy dress though so people know I'm not taking it really seriously.

Hi Zoe and anyone else running Paris Marathon (I can't follow a marathon plan, work full time and keep up with everyone on this thread!!)

What's your plan for Paris? Have you run a marathon before? Do you have a goal in mind? Do you have a running partner?

I'm running on my own and hope to steady into a 10 min mile pace but go harder at the end (if I can!). I'm happy to run with others without any strings attached, i.e. I won't be upset if you want to run off faster or slow down and let me keep going. I'm easy going, and usually do my own thing, but it might be nice to have a friend on such a big day.

Who wants to play with me in Paris?!

ive switched to a half marathon on the 7th instead....

dont feel i can do a full yet

18.61 miles, but lately ive struggled so much!

Ahhh fair enough if you've been struggling, I was just going to say my mum got her best time at a marathon after only running 20 miles pre-marathon and she was worried she hadn't run enough. I did the same with my half, only ran 9 miles before then... but as it was my first half I can't comment really on whether that helped me or not.

You know what's best for you though, at least you can do the half and enjoy it rather then worrying and struggling to finish the marathon. I do think its a danger if you start pushing yourself so your not enjoying runs, what's the point if we don't enjoy what we're doing :) Good luck.

Has anyone else tried eating rice pudding before a long-ish run, I usually have porridge but today on a training run hoping to do 10 miles and I've had rice pudding with banana and strawberries but not I'm worrying that I should have had porridge?

Hi Zoe and anyone else running Paris Marathon (I can't follow a marathon plan, work full time and keep up with everyone on this thread!!)

What's your plan for Paris? Have you run a marathon before? Do you have a goal in mind? Do you have a running partner?

I'm running on my own and hope to steady into a 10 min mile pace but go harder at the end (if I can!). I'm happy to run with others without any strings attached, i.e. I won't be upset if you want to run off faster or slow down and let me keep going. I'm easy going, and usually do my own thing, but it might be nice to have a friend on such a big day.

Who wants to play with me in Paris?!

Happy to have you join us if you want company in Paris, although you may be a little faster than us, particularly at the end.
I'm runnjng with a colleague, who is faster than me but struggles at the end of longer runs, I have better distance but a slower pace. We did a hilly 20 yesterday at an av pace of 10.15 (took 3 hr 25) so with Paris being reasonably flat, who knows?
I've done marathon before (London) but that was way back in 2002, Pre-kids. I did it in 4h30. I've done about half the training, am a decade older and a stone heavier so am amused that I'm on track for more or less the same time!
Are you going to the expo on the Saturday?

Happy to have you join us if you want company in Paris, although you may be a little faster than us, particularly at the end.
I'm runnjng with a colleague, who is faster than me but struggles at the end of longer runs, I have better distance but a slower pace. We did a hilly 20 yesterday at an av pace of 10.15 (took 3 hr 25) so with Paris being reasonably flat, who knows?
I've done marathon before (London) but that was way back in 2002, Pre-kids. I did it in 4h30. I've done about half the training, am a decade older and a stone heavier so am amused that I'm on track for more or less the same time!
Are you going to the expo on the Saturday?

We are arriving in Paris on Friday morning and I think we will go to the Expo on Saturday. I'm going to do travel by metro to the start point on Saturday just so I'm not stressed about where I'm going on Sunday, and then we'll head to the Expo. We're staying to the south of the city on the peripherique by Port d'Italie. It's on the tram line to the Expo. Perhaps we could meet up at the Expo . . . :)

I ran 20 miles yesterday - first 4 downhill, 12 rather flat then 4 back up the hill. Oh god, could I feel it and was very sore afterwards. Stopped a couple of times for the toilet - needed it once, and the second time because it was there! Also stopped a couple of times to stretch. Hopefully won't do that on the day. My timing stats from my Garmin are:

Time:3:26:01
Moving Time:3:18:18
Elapsed Time:3:46:32
Avg Pace:10:17 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:9:54 min/mi
Best Pace:1:29 min/mi
Speed
Pace

Elevation
Elevation Gain:420 m
Elevation Loss:412 m
Min Elevation:33 m
Max Elevation:149 m

If you want to check it out you can try this link (don't know if it will work!) to my Garmin account. I've become lazy with uploading them to Runkeeper and Strava. Too busy running! Our times look pretty similar, and I've done also done my long runs with hills so that Paris will be easier. Next week my schedule says 12 miles easy, but I'm doing the Ironbridge Half. This follows part of the route I've used for my 20 milers.

BTW: The fireman found a policeman (who is also doing Paris) to follow him for his record attempt, so I will really try to take it easy next Sunday. (Although I did ask the fireman if I could still chase him for a bit!).

Good luck with the marathon both of you, I'm a bit jealous that yours is so soon but feeling really excited for you as well.

I found the rice pudding was great before my long run as well, took us ages but it was because it was a lot muddier then we were expecting and at some points we actually couldn't physically run because we were falling all over the place, even got a bit of climbing over rocks in there ;) lol but we did 10.5 miles with one running gel. My new trainers look about 10 years old now... whoops.... undecided whether I'm just going to scrape the mud off the bottom so I'm not getting car's and anywhere I go filthy or whether I'm going to attempt to stick them in the washer :/

I did the Liverpool half marathon today in 2hrs 1 minute. Gutted not to have made it under 2 hours which was my aim, but still cut 5 minutes off my last half marathon PB.

My top tip for relieving muscle soreness after a long run . . . AQUAFIT! I walk to Aquafit on a Sunday evening feeling all stiff and sore, and 45 minutes later I walk home feeling as light as air. Amazing :)

Nice tips - rice pudding and aquafit! Hadn't considered either of those but they're now on my list.

Sally - I've got a garmin too, can we be friends on garmin connect? Not sure how? I use endomondo not run keeper but same sort of thing.
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/167471247
Not sure if the link will work...

My biggest problem at the moment is that I still have a stone to lose but I've stopped losing weight, mainly because I eat like a pig after long runs, but if I don't I end up bingeing anyway. Any ideas on this would be much appreciated.

I did the Liverpool half marathon today in 2hrs 1 minute. Gutted not to have made it under 2 hours which was my aim, but still cut 5 minutes off my last half marathon PB.

That's a fantastic time and well done on the PB.... don't be gutted, I was trying to say the same at our half marathon, she got 2 hours 29 seconds so was gutted it wasn't under 2 but she beat her PB. Looks like all 3 of us will be aiming for under 2 hours next time we do a half ;) (unless my next one is the one I'm doing straight after my marathon)

Nice tips - rice pudding and aquafit! Hadn't considered either of those but they're now on my list.

Sally - I've got a garmin too, can we be friends on garmin connect? Not sure how? I use endomondo not run keeper but same sort of thing.
Running Workout | Endomondo
Not sure if the link will work...

My biggest problem at the moment is that I still have a stone to lose but I've stopped losing weight, mainly because I eat like a pig after long runs, but if I don't I end up bingeing anyway. Any ideas on this would be much appreciated.

Try eating better things? Banana's straight after the run, have a little treat as well, like a bit of flapjack, then when your home have something like wholemeal toast with beans and poached egg (plenty of protein for after your run)? I see your on slimming world, make the syn free rice pud or syn free pancakes (sweet omelettes) with loads of fruit... save your syns and HEX for after the run so you can feel like your having a little pig out when actually your still on plan. Just think when you loose the weight you'll probably run better. Good luck hun, it is hard, I know I crave everything I shouldn't have since I've started running more

Good advice from Donna which I needed too. I've put on a little weight since doing longer runs and heard that is expected. Better to over fuel than under . . . . but Slimming World taught me how to do eat properly and I really should be eating healthy carbs . . . so I shall from now on. Thanks Donna!

My top tip for relieving muscle soreness after a long run . . . AQUAFIT! I walk to Aquafit on a Sunday evening feeling all stiff and sore, and 45 minutes later I walk home feeling as light as air. Amazing :)

i find metafit good after a long run (day after it) or any cardio like body attack or combat

Back