Marathon Training

A years enough I hope, time to practice on halves too

I was very tempted to enter the ballot after watching London today, but next years race is on Easter Sunday :( can't really do that with a family.

Wow - look at all your running booked in as your signature! I'm very impressed :)
Ben
x

I was very tempted to enter the ballot after watching London today, but next years race is on Easter Sunday :( can't really do that with a family.

that will make it bette for me if it easter sunday. the day afetr is bank holiday too so no need to book it off work!
the ballot opens monday 29th april, ill go for it IF i get a free place

Good luck in the ballot, I'm gutted its on Easter Sunday really as was getting excited about entering the ballot, I have a little boy and don't think it would be fair on him or the rest of my family if I ran a marathon Easter Sunday, its family time to our family. I already have a half which it looks like I may run every mothers day lol

if the ballot fails, then ive applied for a few charity places aswell. havent heard of many of them but if i can get a place then ill run it for them!
think london will be a good one, the atmosphere sounds amazing and the crowds that support too... id love to do it there

Just signed up for my first canicross event. Will be running it with my foxhound :) Better update my signature!!

and i see you have! Market Drayton, is that Leicester? My sister lives near there if it is. Pointless fact I know.

and i see you have! Market Drayton, is that Leicester? My sister lives near there if it is. Pointless fact I know.

North Shropshire! Ran my local parkrun yesterday with my dog and out was brilliant. Today we're off to the welsh coast to cycle with the dogs :)

I wish I could borrow my mums dog to run with but he's terrible, she's taken him before when she was marathon training and he gets to a certain point then just sits down and refuses to move lol. He's a big black lab so should appreciate the exercise :p

Well I ran my second half marathon today and beat my personal best, 1 hour 56 minutes... I was very happy just to have got under that 2 hour barrier :D very pleased with myself. My next race is booked in for next week as well bluebell trial... 10.something miles I believe, looking forward to that.... although my legs are already aching after today... hope I don't suffer too much in the morning, I think its from bringing my speed work and my miles together as I haven't done that before... but I've heard you shouldn't until a race? What have you guys heard about that.

i got my timing down to 2hrs 34, my next half marathon is in 2 weeks.

going to aim for 2hrs ish.... it CAN be done. it will be done....

Well I ran my second half marathon today and beat my personal best, 1 hour 56 minutes... I was very happy just to have got under that 2 hour barrier :D very pleased with myself. My next race is booked in for next week as well bluebell trial... 10.something miles I believe, looking forward to that.... although my legs are already aching after today... hope I don't suffer too much in the morning, I think its from bringing my speed work and my miles together as I haven't done that before... but I've heard you shouldn't until a race? What have you guys heard about that.

Well done Donna! I can't recall reading/hearing about speed/distance until a race, but you hear so much conflicting advice that it's all so confusing. It obviously worked for you, so keep at it.

i got my timing down to 2hrs 34, my next half marathon is in 2 weeks.

going to aim for 2hrs ish.... it CAN be done. it will be done....

Of course you can do it! Try Donna's advice of combining speed with miles :) :bliss:

for the next two weeks (until the thursday before the run anyway) i will try adding more speed to my training runs.
seems alot though, to try and do it 34 minutes quicker! got such a buzz off my last one, hope i get another :D couldnt walk after it, but was overjoyed

I do a lot of training with fartlecks and also the past few weeks I've been doing road races which are only 5 miles but running a lot faster then what I would usually run, then I've been doing a long steady run at the weekend, worked for me... although I didn't shave that much off my PB and the second one wasn't as hilly, although there was a slight incline near the end and it felt great when I got a spurt on going up it and passing everyone who were having to slow down for it.

cant edit my post, but ive never followed any "running advice", never stuck to training programmes either. ill do a programme for a few weeks but then i lose interest and do my own thing instead- my own miles, my own speed... and its worked better for me.

the only good advice ive had is from my runner friend. simple stuff, half an isotonic drink and pint of water about an hour before to make sure your hydrated enough, and the other half after youve done it. a packet of jelly babies in your pocket if you feel the need for an energy boost. oh and ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER, just think that and you'll fly by. he was right.
this guys done about 10 marathons and runs them in 3 hours now!

One foot in front of the other?! That's where I'm going wrong!! :)

done a run today but felt something ping in my leg. dosent hurt but it kept pinging? :(

I ran in my first proper cani-cross race on Sunday and absolutely loved it. It was a 10k cross-country, through woods filled with bluebells and across fields with lovely views. I'm yet to do a half marathon, but so far I like the 10k distance the most. I also absolutely LOVED running with my dog. He is wonderful company and we made a great team. I think this is my new sport! Just got to find more events local to me (or convince my husband to travel across the country to compete!).

In other news, my local council is sending me on a Run Leadership course this Saturday so that I can help run a beginners running group with foster families. I was also run director at my parkrun last Saturday and that went well. I think I've caught the running bug!!

Next marathon six weeks away and I've signed up for Lake Vyrnwy Half Marathon in September. Better go update my signature!

I ran in my first proper cani-cross race on Sunday and absolutely loved it. It was a 10k cross-country, through woods filled with bluebells and across fields with lovely views. I'm yet to do a half marathon, but so far I like the 10k distance the most. I also absolutely LOVED running with my dog. He is wonderful company and we made a great team. I think this is my new sport! Just got to find more events local to me (or convince my husband to travel across the country to compete!).

In other news, my local council is sending me on a Run Leadership course this Saturday so that I can help run a beginners running group with foster families. I was also run director at my parkrun last Saturday and that went well. I think I've caught the running bug!!

Next marathon six weeks away and I've signed up for Lake Vyrnwy Half Marathon in September. Better go update my signature!

Well done :)

My race on Sunday had bluebells as you ran through the woods as well, was gorgeous.... although VERY hard work, some very big hills in that one.

I got a blister on Sunday though right at the bottom of my foot... its painful to walk on and I have a road race tonight :/

Back