Marathon Training

i know you shouldnt, but pop it donna. it will just go flat for the weekend!

spoke to my friend, shes a personal trainer, said that what im feeling in my shins sounds like the start of shin splints. said to buy new shoes, also at how much i run ill be better buying a new pair ever 3 monthes as i wear them out very very quickly :(
i trust gabbys word on that, she wont just say it.

just looked up what shin spints are and what the symptoms are....
sounds like i have it :(
i have a half marathon on sunday.
this bit sounds exactly like what i got on tuesday:
Another symptom is pain when you press on the inflamed area. The pain of shinsplints is most severe at the start of a run, but can go away during a run once the muscles are loosened up (unlike a stress fracture of the shinbone, which will hurt all of the time).

ive been feeling that for a while though, every time ive been out running its the same.
it got so bad i actually had to sit down on a bench for about 15 minutes and didnt think i could carry on running.

still doing the half on sunday, but will be icing it to ease it after wards

Hi ladies

I hope you are all well. I've fallen totally off the radar recently, but have been reading over the posts to catch up. Slimmersally - you did amazing in your marathon - well done!

I've been suffering an injury which has meant that i've had to withdraw from the Edinburgh marathon which I was meant to do next weekend. I'm gutted. I had got up to 16 miles in training, but fell and hurt my knee. The most I could manage after that was 10 miles, and then the pain in my knee started to kick in. Its much better now, but I've not done a long run of more than 10 miles in the past month, and felt i'd missed too much training, so I've decided its not the way forward to do a marathon right now and risk further injury.

Now i'm on the lookout for some half marathons prior to the GNR to get me back to full fitness :)

Thanks Rachel :) Good decision to withdraw from Edinburgh. It's no good running with an injury. You've got to learn to stay on your feet though - no more of this falling over silliness!!!

I was incredibly pleased with my marathon time and have since competed in a number of shorter races. I'm knackered at the moment and having a busy time at work, so today I bit the bullet and emailed the organisers of the Shrewsbury marathon and asked if I could swap my entry to the half marathon on the same day. I was so relieved when they replied with yes and it's done!! The longest run I've done since Paris is 8.5 miles, so 13 miles should be easy in five weeks time. The Shrewsbury course is laps of 6.5 miles, and I can't think of anything worse than having to do four laps crowded in with 2500 people. Two laps seems achievable :)

I had a brilliant weekend last weekend with a Leadership in Running Fitness course on Saturday and the Market Drayton 10k on Sunday where I managed a sub-50min :)

I'm gonna update my signature now and change that pesky marathon to a half!

If the northwest uk is near by you Rachel there are lots of half marathons happening :)
There's a marathon in December, going to go for it. Feel like I'm not rushing into it now so I won't be backing out this time

I'd have done 9 half marathons before December too, so plenty of practise

Gosh Sally I didn't realise you were planning on doing another marathon so soon after your other one! It's good that they've let you change to a half. Was there any point in the marathon where you just felt like you couldn't do it? I know that's an odd question, but my worry was always that I'd hit a mental block and just think, I can't carry on!

I'm not usually accident prone at all! I was trying to take over two walkers who were hogging the pavement and slipped on some wet grass. My knee felt fine at the time, but I found I got a grating feeling in my knee cap on long runs afterwards, which didn't feel very nice!

I live in Newcastle but am generally happy to travel to half marathons, the further I have been is Birmingham, and that's probably my limit, just because it ends up costing so much for travel and hotels! I've got the GNR in September, but I'm going to have a look and see what else I could do before that. Even just a few 10K's would be good to get me back into the swing of things.

Gina - 9 half marathons is amazing! Are they quite spread out?

around 4 - 6 weeks apart from each other, not that long really but not too close either.
i do have two that are a week apart from each other, how well ill do is a mystery but ill see what happens. i wont quit one of them, i dont quit unless i feel like i really have to :)
never quit during a run yet, ive ran with bad back injuries, shin splints and migraines before :p
i dont like to quit anything once i start it

Gosh Sally I didn't realise you were planning on doing another marathon so soon after your other one! It's good that they've let you change to a half. Was there any point in the marathon where you just felt like you couldn't do it? I know that's an odd question, but my worry was always that I'd hit a mental block and just think, I can't carry on!

The whole way I knew I could do it. I had put the training in and there was never a moment in my prep or during the race that I didn't think I could finish. I wasn't sure that I'd be able to run the whole way, but save for a hundred metres or so, I did run the whole way. As long as I finished in under 5 hours I was going to be happy. I hoped for 4:30:00 but thought that would be a stretch . . . . but that's exactly the time I got. It's only been in the past week or so that I didn't feel I was ready for the next marathon on 23rd June. I haven't continued with long runs and I'm really busy and stressed at work. I devoted October-March to the Paris Marathon and fundraising, and now I'm feeling quite washed out. Since April 7th I've competed in two 10k races, a 5 mile and a 5k, and I have another 10k race this Saturday, and I've done 5 miles of hill training once a week, but it's the long runs that are key. I've only done one 8.5 mile and I did 12.6 miles on Saturday (but forgot to take gels with me) and that was hard. I also think I may be coming down with a cold, so all in all I'm pleased that I have had the foresight to change my entry to half marathon. Now I can relax and as it's my first half marathon, whatever I do it will be a PB!!

interesting you arnt doing the 2nd marathon, my plan for april 2014 was to do the backpool marathon at the start of april (around the 7th) and another in manchester at the end (around the 28th)
doable with them being so close?

on another note, i need some spice girls on my running playlist. its so cheesey and singable that ill be too busy singing along to even notice how many miles ive done.

payed for a marathon in april 2014!

squeeeeee! :D

the date for the december marathons been confirmed, 1st of december.
flat route, no hills.... tshirt and medal to finishers.

tempted by this. try and do this one in 5hrs and my 2nd one in 4hrs 30.... tempting

I need to get back on it with my milage... not managed long runs the past 2 weeks, going on mums treadmill on Friday and planning on doing it at a slight incline... going to do AT LEAST 10 miles... but hoping for more like 15

ive been slacking on the milage, but i have a reason for it. couldnt eat so i couldnt run without feeling like i was going to pass out but slowly getting my food intake back up, did a mile and 1/2 tonight but only going to the gym. still not a super slow time so happy with it

Gina, what marathon are you doing in December?

ive finally been to see a sports physio today about my knee - I've torn some of the coronary ligament in my knee from the bone, which explains the pain, but thankfully it's one that mends itself over time.

It's somewhere in morecambe, it's not on the website yet though :( soon as is it I can link it if you like

Morecambe might be a bit far for me! You sound like you're really getting into it, I really need to get some more races lined up!

Now that I'm only "training" for half marathons I seemed to have become a little lazy in my approach to training and haven't been putting in the long runs. Having said that, I was rather committed to my marathon preparation over the winter, so maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective. Anyhow, I've set myself a new challenge which I came across on Saturday. It's called Juneathon and the aim is to run (or do some form of exercise) every day in June and then blog about it. So far, so good, but it is a challenge to fit it in. The running takes time and so does the blogging. You are welcome to have a read:

Run Sally Run

Comments and feedback welcome :) There are six so far and 24 to follow!

Sally - I think you deserve a slight break/ reduction in training post marathon! When is your next half marathon?

I have been feeling sick after my runs - has anyone else had this? I'm fine on 4 - 5 miles, but I've done two 6.2 milers this week and just got back from an 8 miler, and have felt sick after all three. For the first shorter run, I went before breakfast without eating anything, so that might explain it, but for the 8 mile run today, I had two shredded wheat, a banana and some blueberries an hour before I went out. It's a really warm day here so I also added one of those Zero tablets to my water, which is meant to make it like an energy drink, and had a gel. I'm wondering if it's the gel, I wouldn't normally have them on runs under 10 miles, but felt I needed that kick today. It was a High5 one, I never had a sickly feeling with the SIS ones so I may have to go back to them, though they are a bit bulkier to carry around.

Back