Marathon Training

I've only used SIS gels and never had a problem with them. I have some High5 ones in the cupboard and I'm doing 13 miles in the morning so I'll try them and let you know how I get on. It might be the heat . . . I bought shorts that have four gel pockets and two elastic loops as well as a zip pocket at the back. They are really comfortable and I was able to carry six gels and my phone for the marathon. I think they're Ronhill (I have posted about them before).

I have two half marathons - 23rd June in Shrewsbury and 15th (?) Sept at Lake Vyrnwy. I can't wait - I'm really enjoying doing more races and less training :)

I use the SIS ones too, I have one in the cupboard which is Cobra or something weird but haven't tried it yet as I'm scared to use something other then SIS and also it had a better date then the SIS ones that I already have in. My mum feels sick if its really hot and she drinks anything other then just plain water though, so could it have been that?

Maybe it was the Zero tablet I added to my drink, might stick with plain water and SIS gels next time and see if there is any difference!

i don't have the gels when I run anymore, instead have a bag of jelly babies with me! one jelly baby for each mile and have one at each mile marker! mmmmm jelly babies.....

On tough races I've had jelly babies and the gel, the gel when I would usually have it (around the 6 or 7 mile mark depending on how long the race is) and jelly babies after that when I need them.

really need to get back into this.
since my nan died I've been really down, and haven't done as much running as normal. haven't done a single long run in 4 weeks, longest I've ran is 6 miles.
I have a half marathon in 3 weeks, I know ill get a sh*tty time in it, I haven't ran enough. don't have any life in me, couldn't even get up this morning to run 10 miles, just felt so bad.

safe to say, I wont get my 2hrs 15mins again on that half marathon, more like 4 hours if I am lucky.

Don't beat yourself up about it, just get back as soon as you can, you'll be able to complete the half even if you don't get a good time, so just focus on that as plenty of people couldn't run a half never mind after going through a loss like you have. I'm sorry to hear about your loss, hope you're okay (or as okay as possible)

is anyone else finding it tough to run in this heat?
I've got a half marathon on Sunday and if its this hot no way will I even come close to my previous time, been out for a few training runs (3 - 8 miles) and every time the heat has tired me out, and I've had to drink way more water than I planned too.
I have been keeping hydrated but soon as I start running I feel dry all the time.

im not focusing on getting a decent time on Sunday, just finishing and not passing out in the heat is good enough!!

Don't beat yourself up about it, just get back as soon as you can, you'll be able to complete the half even if you don't get a good time, so just focus on that as plenty of people couldn't run a half never mind after going through a loss like you have. I'm sorry to hear about your loss, hope you're okay (or as okay as possible)

still struggling mentally :( haven't got a decent memory of anything but that day. everything in-between is all blurred.
my time will be not my usual, ill treat it as a "training run" and not a race run, potential marathon in December so all this is going towards that training. haven't even got a working iPod now either, mines decided it doesn't want to hear any of my music and has messed up the volume so no sound comes out. brilliant.

is anyone else finding it tough to run in this heat?
I've got a half marathon on Sunday and if its this hot no way will I even come close to my previous time, been out for a few training runs (3 - 8 miles) and every time the heat has tired me out, and I've had to drink way more water than I planned too.
I have been keeping hydrated but soon as I start running I feel dry all the time.

im not focusing on getting a decent time on Sunday, just finishing and not passing out in the heat is good enough!!

I didn't do too bad with my race on Sunday, I drank way more then usual and made sure I walked more then I would have done (it was a 10 mile) I finished in 1 hour 34, 56 seconds. My mum however, who is an amazing runner, really struggled, she actually ended up having st johns ambulance following her and topping her water up for her, she finished but a lot slower then she normally would so she's really down about that :(

that's what im worried about, seeing my time and being put off doing anymore!
all I can do is go for it and try to not walk too much.

that's the only downside to this weather, its lovely yes, but for running its terrible. much prefer the cold and rain, at least I don't overheat then.
I had an ambulance follow me during a 10 miler! pulled something in my leg and they kept telling me stop, but I refused to so they followed me all the way to the finish :p

oh my.
I did the half marathon today. last one was 2hrs 15mins, with this heat and lack of running thought id do it in 3 hours. nope..... only went and did it in 1 hour, 58 minutes and 39 seconds!!!
on a running high now, I wanted to get 2hrs and im below it now. so so so happy.

now my back and butt hurt, I stiffen up if I sit for too long, but I wasn't dehydrated. drank 3 pints of water before it, had to go to the loo twice before the run but didn't stop once it started. got a few grins when I was singing along to my ipod too.

my next half is in august, running that with my brother and now im only 8 minutes behind his average time.

you ae sick you should put off the running. Depending how long you have been running (that is, the condition you are in), you can take 5 days, maybe a week off and just start back where you left off. If you are off longer, start back slower or with less distance. The training is meant to put a stress on your body from which you recuperate from and are thus a little stronger. If you are ill and try to do the same workout that is additional stress and you won't recuperate sufficiently and that just breaks you down more.
Good luck!

got the official time results and its not 1hr 58mins 39seconds....

its 1hr 58mins 9secs!! YAY!

not acheing bad either, barley anything at all.
did get a good tan though, arms legs and face are all browner than normal. my nose and cheeks are red though.

theres a 7 hour cut off point in the December marathon, what if don't do it before? *argh nerves kicking in already*

I dread the pick up van for the runners who are too slow to finish on time.

reckon 5 hours is a good target considering im doing my halves in less that 2 hours now?

theres a 7 hour cut off point in the December marathon, what if don't do it before? *argh nerves kicking in already*

I dread the pick up van for the runners who are too slow to finish on time.

reckon 5 hours is a good target considering im doing my halves in less that 2 hours now?

You'll beat 5 hours no problem, you have loads of time to train and it will be cooler when your training as well.

Not sure how true it is but I've heard double your half time and add 20 minutes for a marathon time?

I'm worried about my marathon now, its in October, training is not going well though. Really struggling with the heat to get the miles in. Managing about 14 at the moment but its hard, running in this heat just isn't fun, I have two weeks away in August as well :/ but as long as I finish the marathon I'll be happy, not worrying about getting a good time, just want to finish it and more importantly enjoy it.

Id be happy with 5 hours so any less is a bonus :D

did some hill training today, only a 10 mile route but tough enough.
20 miles flat would have been easier than today, ouuuuuch.

its 16 weeks until my marathon, am I being stupid not following a programme and just adding distance to my long runs? I cant stick to programmes, last one I tried I couldnt stand following it, I wont go over 21 miles in training and I have plenty of time to get there.

I'm not really following a program just upping miles as I go along, as long as you don't up them too quickly you should be fine.

I did a 10 mile race today but added a bit on the beginning and end to make up a few miles (did 12.5 in the end)

Back