Margerine/butter advice for cake please.

redmel

Dreamer
Hello Everyone.

I read this forum a lot and wonder if you kind people would be able to help me out.

I have 4 birthdays coming up in October and November....Mine, dh's, ds1's and ds2's so obviously I want to be able to celebrate and enjoy some birthday cake for them, so instead of buying a full fat version I want to make my own low-syn ones....

I am easily able to sub any cream in recipes for yog and any sugar for splenda, BUT

What is the best marge/butter that is suitable for baking (I know some aren't suitable) that is also lowest in syns??

I don't have access to the website so can't check out various ones, and I would also prefer some experienced answers anyway:)

Thank You for any replies:) xx

I think you need to check the tubs in the shop to see if it has a tick next to suitable for baking. I think clover lighter is one but not 100% certain.
Most of the lower fat ones have a high water content which renders them unsuitable for baking so you really should check.

When you find one which is suitable then check the syn value on here, someone will look it up but would you please post it in the syn value sub forum and this should really have gone in recipes or off topic so the mods may move this thread.

I think you need to check the tubs in the shop to see if it has a tick next to suitable for baking. I think clover lighter is one but not 100% certain.
Most of the lower fat ones have a high water content which renders them unsuitable for baking so you really should check.

When you find one which is suitable then check the syn value on here, someone will look it up but would you please post it in the syn value sub forum and this should really have gone in recipes or off topic so the mods may move this thread.

Sorry, I did consider putting it in the recipes, but as I am not asking for a recipe or posting one I didn't think it appropriate...as for off topic, well surely it is entirely 'on-topic'???

I suppose I will have to take a pen and pad and stand in Asda writing down every marge or butter that is suitable for baking! I only thought someone may have already found a suitable one (and had good results from it) which is why I asked....

Sorry again!

i dont think that she ment the comment in a nasty way, she was just saying probably recipe would have been better, as people hwo do cook etc will check that thread more often and may be able to offer advice. its true that alot of low fat spreads are high in water, which doesnt give a cook result when baking, so yes probably will have to check out what speads say suitable for baking. good luck

How strange, my post has now been moved to the weightwatchers forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just about to say think you have the wrong Forum lol! very strange! over here we use, well i d extra light flora, and that's 0.5 for every 19gs i think it is! not a lot of points anyway for the amount you get :) x

Anchor Spredable (lighter) is suitable for home baking sorry but can't remember the syn val

Back