Mary has stones and stones to lose

Hello everybody I hope you will let join you. I’m on a healthy eating diet. Not from vanity, but necessity. I am in my 60’s and have trouble with my knees and ankles. My doctor has ‘taken me in hand’ and I’m aiming to lose 2lbs a week. He says no more than this. So I’ll be on here quite some time. I don’t know how much I shall lose, but I hope I shall soon see a difference in my aches and pains. I'm aiming for at least 5 stones and I hope too, that some weeks I'll lose more than 2lbs

I hope I can get to know you all, and pick your brains, for ideas and support.

Welcome and welldone on starting your journey. Most of us are here for the long haul. I am eating healthy and watching my calorie intake. I hope you feel the benefits soon.

Thank you Marie. I'm like you, eating healthily. It's not really a diet, but a whole new lifestyle. I've looked at healthy eating forums, but quite honestly, they were more for keep fit sporty types and I'm not one of those. I have ballooned to a massive 18.7 and it is badly affecting my health, not only are my joints playing up but I also have gallstones and acid reflux.
I've tried quick fix diets and although I have lost the weight, I have put it back on equally as quickly. My doctor spelled it out for me: There is no quick fix. Eat and cook healthily and the weight will come off and stay off. Its going to take a while, but I've got my mind and focus in the right place now. I am determined not to run to the scales every five minutes

Welcome aboard Mary, take a browse around and join in. Most of us have some kind of diary going, we use it not only for weight loss support for friendship and fun as well. Not everyone follows a popular plan like WW/SW personally I like to take a little bit of everything and make something that works for me.

Morning mary. My name is cath and i too am now suffering with my joints from my excess weight. I need to lose about 5 stones. I am 57years old and feeling every bit of it..im sure we will feel better when we start shedding the baggage. Anyway just wanted to say hiya. I was on weightwstchers but just cannot get along with counting points. I have started healthy eating today and hope you will let me join in with you all on here. X

I can't tell you how nice it is to know that I am not the only one. I had a look around other threads and it was a bit depressing... mpeople with a start weight of 10 stones. If I weighed that, I'd be doing cartwheels, I'd be so happy.

Ha ha.yes me too. But one day mary, we will be alot slimmer and healthier and hopefully not as creaky. Have a good weekend. Will come back on every day hopefully to keep up with everyone and have a bit of a" virtual " chat x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using MiniMins

hello ladies, I am a newbie with my weight to lose than keep I would like to get to 50 and be fitter and slimmer, which gives me 3 years I wish you the best of luck x

Hi Mary, welcome aboard! I think diets don't work, you need to change your life style for the better; which you are doing, so well done you hun. 2lbs a week is a great amount to aim for each week, sometimes you may have a bad week but don't let it put you off! I always find I have a really good week following a bad one, keep strong and carry on. :) I hope you start to feel a reduction in your pains soon, all the best
- Pip x

I can’t tell you how lovely it is to read your posts and diaries. It isn’t just helpful it is inspirational.
I love to cook, and have had a nice day cooking for the freezer. Low fat casseroles,& chicken dishes . I have the British Heart Foundation cook book and one of Rosemary Conley’s. The BHF one has made me realize just how much salt there is in regular cooking, it’s not just the fat and calories you have to watch is it?
My husband had a heart scare a few years ago. What we thought was a coronary turned out to be a spasm, but he has stents in just in case, and exercises and watches his weight. It is a shame I didn’t join him. Better late than never though.
There is just the 2 of us these days. We lost 3 children over the 37 years of marriage… you just put it in the loop and move on. However, now I am taking control of my life I have no excuse that I have to cook for a family. The both of us can eat more healthily and when my knees improve I shall join him in the gym and on his bikerides. Though if I tried it now, I would end up on continuous oxygen.
I look at photos of me when I was in my 20’s and a young size 12 staff nurse, and can’t help wondering just where I lost my way.
My husband has got me on to fromage frais. I had to sweeten it with a drizzle of honey (I keep bees so I have plenty) but I'm sure I'll get used to it 'straight'

The weather in my part of the world is beautiful today. Warm without being too hot, with blue skies and fluffy white clouds. I walked into town. Usually I take the car, but I felt like walking. I picked up my new specs at Specsavers and then met my husband for a lift home.
Hope the week is starting well for everyone else.

Muggle Mary said:
I can't tell you how nice it is to know that I am not the only one. I had a look around other threads and it was a bit depressing... mpeople with a start weight of 10 stones. If I weighed that, I'd be doing cartwheels, I'd be so happy.

I know what you mean lol

Just wanted to say hello and wish you well on your venture
look forward to reading how your getting on in future
Good luck with it

Well done. I think we all need some kind of incentive to spur us on. Scales can be a bit of a downer at times. I always rely on my trusty tape measure and log my measurements once a month and take that as my progress rather than the scales.

Have a good weekend.

What a good idea! I'll certainly do the 'tape measure' diet from now on. What a wonderful weight loss you have, an inspiration if ever there was

Back