mashed foods syned??

miss_marshmallow

i found out in class other week that mashing up a banana makes it non free and you need to syn it... so does that go for all food thats mashed?

like butternut squash for instance? i was going to mash it and have for topping of my fish pie instead of potatoes but wasnt sure if it needed syned. or what about if a mash my veg? like carrot and parnship?

thanks

No just fruits! Veggies can be mashed, cooked and blended without syns - otherwise all our lovely homemade soups would be skyhigh in syns

I was actually wondering if tomato juice is free? I know tomato is technically a fruit but if you can cook it like other vegetables, can you juice it???

I was actually wondering if tomato juice is free? I know tomato is technically a fruit but if you can cook it like other vegetables, can you juice it???

Interesting point. I think all juices, fruit and veg, are synned aren't they? But it's fine to blend (as opposed to juice) tomatoes I presume, otherwise passata and tomato puree wouldn't be free.

I didnt think tomato puree was free.

I didn't think tomatoe puree was free either. I don't think it's many syns though.
I was thinking about this yesterday, I was wondering if a homemade fruit smoothie would be free because if you're just wizzing up the fruit you're not taking the fibre out? I take it they're not though so bizarre!!!

i found out in class other week that mashing up a banana makes it non free and you need to syn it... so does that go for all food thats mashed?

like butternut squash for instance? i was going to mash it and have for topping of my fish pie instead of potatoes but wasnt sure if it needed syned. or what about if a mash my veg? like carrot and parnship?

thanks

The rule only applies to fruit hun.
Also cooked fruit has a syn value or can be used as HEB (see your book for options)
Once blended it releases all the natural sugars or something so makes it synned.

As for vegetables these are completely fine to mash, blend etc.
xxx

Interesting point. I think all juices, fruit and veg, are synned aren't they? But it's fine to blend (as opposed to juice) tomatoes I presume, otherwise passata and tomato puree wouldn't be free.

Only fruit is synned when blended/pureed or mashed. Vegetables are stil free.
Tomato puree is 0.5 syns per tablespoon hun. xxx

Oh, thanks: lucky I haven't used any puree then! I thought it was free because in one of my books it is listed as a recipe ingredient and doesn't seem to have been synned, but it may be it was such a small amount (a teaspoon or something) it wouldn't count.

I hope it's right that passata is free, I have that with every meal pretty much!

I don't understand how this works. I thought the reasoning was that when fruit is mashed up you eat more than you would normally?? But if you were going to eat 1 banana and it was free, then surely mashing 1 banana and eating wouldn't make a difference??

Or maybe there is some sort of science behind it to do with cell walls and sugars haha does anyone know??

I think it's because you're likely to eat more(e.g how many strawberries blended it would take to fill a glass)
As far as bananas though, if I was going to have one, on toast, I would still mash it... Because I know I'm only having the one.
I think this is right. All confused now :-s

I think it's because you're likely to eat more(e.g how many strawberries blended it would take to fill a glass)
As far as bananas though, if I was going to have one, on toast, I would still mash it... Because I know I'm only having the one.
I think this is right. All confused now :-s

Instead of mashing the banana you could slice it really thinly and still have it nicely on toast :) xxx

I just had a look on the Slimming World website under FAQ's and found this....

Q: Why are some fruits Free when raw, but have a Syn value when cooked, juiced or pureed?
A: While fruit in its natural form is bulky, filling and often time-consuming to eat, in cooked, pureed, liquidised or smoothie form it makes it very easy to over-consume and is a very effective way of adding a lot of extra energy (calories) in a non-bulky and non-filling way, which doesn’t satisfy your appetite in the same way as eating fresh whole/sliced fruit. Consider eating an orange. Peeling, breaking up the segments and eating just one orange can be a lengthy process. Now think about the juice that orange would produce – it contains a similar number of calories, yet it’s gone in a gulp – in fact it takes 8 oranges to make a small glass of orange juice and it’s not filling in the slightest! It’s all about getting the most (optimum) satisfaction from your foods with Food Optimising. We count juiced, pureed and cooked fruit as Syns to protect your weight losses.

I wonder why that doesn't apply to veg as well. Because they have less sugar and relatively fewer calories perhaps? Still, some veg is quite sweet, I would imagine it's quite sugary (butternut squash for example).

yep vegetables are a lot lower in calories than fruit and you are also less likely to over consume too many calories by cooking/blending vegetables down.

A huge pot of vegetable soup for instance would probably have far less calories than a small smoothie.

I also find this really strange! I mean the banana (for example) will get mashed in my mouth anyway lol but who am i to argue withh the system when it obviously works :)

Back