Matt's Journey: Yesterdays Tomorrow

Yesterday

Jedi Master
Guess it’s time to bit the bullet and make a diary.

I am 29, starting weight was 303lbs or 21 stone 9 pounds.

I've been big since my teens but now I'm heading towards 30 figure it’s time to make a change, especially when you mention it to friends or family and the sincerity in their responses tells you they are concerned.

I’ve also smoked since I was 13, but successfully stopped smoking 24th Nov 2011.

I lost weight a few years ago on slimming world, in Sep 2008 I weighed 17stone 12pounds, so I've put about 4 stone on in 3 years which I worked out to be 125 extra calories a day, that’s like a banana or a biscuit to much each day. Seems, insignificant.

Education is key, and I already feel as if I knew then what I know now I wouldn’t have regained the weight, after all 125 calories a day isnt much to cut out lol.

So I decided not to join a slimming club, as personally I don’t think it fixes the real issues of why we get overweight in the first place.

I am calorie counting, eating healthier, controlling portions, ditched the diet coke for water, walking more and trying to visit the gym a couple of times a week.

I want to make lifestyle changes that will make me healthier rather than considering myself to be on a diet. Obviously for the first 6 months or so I intend to be as strict as possible to push to get to a healthier weight, but, as the weight comes down and health improves I believe maintenance should come easier through simple changes once the weight has gone.

Anyway, my first weigh in since joining the forum will be tomorrow, so, diary making time.

PS, Criticism is welcomed otherwise how will I learn :p no one knows everything.

PPS, This is not a new years resolution.

PPPS, Sorry for rambling.

Last edited:
Weigh ins
05/01/2012 - 3lbs
12/01/2012 - 5lbs = 8lbs
19/01/2012 - 3lbs = 11lbs
26/01/2012 - 1lbs = 12lbs
02/02/2012 - 2lbs = 14lbs
09/02/2012 - 1lbs = 15lbs
16/02/2012 - 1lbs = 16lbs
23/02/2012 - 2lbs = 18lbs
01/03/2012 - 3lbs = 21lbs
08/03/2012 - 0lbs = 21lbs
15/03/2012 - 0lbs = 21lbs
22/03/2012 - 0lbs = 21lbs
29/03/2012 - 0lbs = 21lbs
05/04/2012 - 2lbs = 23lbs
12/04/2012 - 0lbs = 23lbs
19/04/2012 - 0lbs = 23lbs
26/04/2012 - 1lbs = 24lbs
03/05/2012 - 0lbs = 24lbs
10/05/2012 - 3lbs = 27lbs - Changed Job Unofficially start SW
17/05/2012 - 1lbs = 28lbs - Officially Joined SW
24/05/2012 - 2lbs = 30lbs
31/05/2012 - 3lbs = 33lbs
07/06/2012 - 2lbs = 35lbs
12/06/2012 - 2lbs = 37lbs - switched to slimming world as my official weigh in day as things where getting confusing :)
19/06/2012 - 2.5lbs = 39.5lbs
26/06/2012 - 0.5lbs = 40lbs
03/07/2012 - 3lbs = 43lbs
10/07/2012 - 1lbs = 44lbs
17/07/2012 - 1lbs = 45lbs
24/07/2012 - 0.5lbs = 45.5lbs
31/07/2012 - 7lbs = 52.5lbs
07/08/2012 -+1.5lb = 51lbs
14/08/2012 - 2lbs = 53lbs
21/08/2012 -+2.5lbs = 50.5lbs
28/08/2012 - 2.5lbs - 53lbs
04/09/2012 - 3lbs - 56lbs
11/09/2012 - 1lbs = 57lbs
18/09/2012 - 1lbs = 58lbs

Last edited:
Goals
[STRIKE]
Get below 21 stone
9lbs
Lose 1 Stone 14lbs
Lose 5% body Weight 16lbs
Get below 20 stone - Move from Very Obese to Obese 23lbs
Get BMI Below 40 - Goal start 41.89 24lbs
Lose 2 Stone 28
Lose 10% body Weight 30lbs
Have Less than 100lbs to lose - 33lbs lost
Get Below 19 Stone 37lbs
Lose 3 Stone 42lbs
Get Below 18 Stone 51lbs
Lose 4 Stone 56lbs[/STRIKE]

BMI to 35 59lbs
Half Way There
Get Below 17 Stone 65lbs
Lose 5 Stone 70lbs
Get Below 16 Stone 79lbs
Lose 6 Stone 84lbs
Get Below 15 Stone - Move from Obese to Over weight 93lbs
BMI to 30 - Below 30 no longer obese 93lbs
Lose 7 Stone 98lbs
Get Below 14 Stone 107lbs
Lose 8 Stone 112lbs
Get Below 13 Stone 121lbs
Healthy Weight 12 stone 7 lbs 128lbs
BMI to 25 - Below 25 is healthy range 129lbs

Last edited:
Hi Matt,

You are definitley in the right place for support and helpful criticism. We may not be as harsh as you want, we like the softly softly approach, but it really helps for all of us.
Your plan sounds great and your goals are fab. I'm really looking forward to reading your diary and following your "journey" (hate using that word, but can never think of a replacement!).

Good luck :)

Good luck :) Sounds like your head is in the right place, which is very important in my experience!

Thanks for the comments.

Pretty disappointed today, lost 1lb, was expecting it to be closer to 3lb, so I am wondering if my food counts are a little inaccurate, not disappointed in losing weight just that the weight loss isnt as predictable as I had expected.

Still a loss is a loss, I feel slimmer, shirts feel a little looser, and I feel fitter, starting to enjoy the gym a bit more so not all bad I guess.

Well done on losing that pound!

Are you weighing your foods to be accurate? That will make a difference if you aren't.

Yeah I would reccomend weighing everything. Sounds like a pain in the ass at first, but it does become second nature.
Are you a member of a calorie counting site? Alot of us use myfitnesspal. Works a treat and I wouldn't manage the counting without logging everything.

Well done on the loss, every little counts!! (No, I'm not in advertising! lol)

If your doing a lot of gym work it can mess with your losses. Might be worth measuring by inches till it settles down? Your laying down new muscle mass and the old muscle can retain water while it's healing after a workout. It's frustrating on WI day but in the long term you'll be burning cals a lot more efficiently with all that lovely new muscle! Your doing brilliantly so just keep going :)

Well sods law, jumped on the scales this morning and another 2lb off, although am not going to record it till next week.

I took photo's and measurements when i first started and as its 4 weeks today redid the photo's. I see big changes which is great, so I'm going to go with the muscle exercise theory as I like the idea :p.

I do weigh food, when I'm at home, the problem for me is I work away several days a week and am in a hotel, so its difficult to judge calorie content of meals its all guess work. Looking back maybe I did take on some un-needed calories during the week.

I track using a excel spreadsheet, might give myfitnesspal a go though as I pick data from the site already using their calculators.

I'd definitely give it a go. It has the database as you said so you can pick something on there that's close to what you're eating when you're at hotels and that. Plus it's easy to log on the go too if you have a phone that has apps :)

I find that I always loose an extra pound or two the day after WI. It's crazy, but your not alone.

I would highly reccomend MFP, it's so useful. :)

Well sods law, jumped on the scales this morning and another 2lb off, although am not going to record it till next week.

I took photo's and measurements when i first started and as its 4 weeks today redid the photo's. I see big changes which is great, so I'm going to go with the muscle exercise theory as I like the idea :p.

I do weigh food, when I'm at home, the problem for me is I work away several days a week and am in a hotel, so its difficult to judge calorie content of meals its all guess work. Looking back maybe I did take on some un-needed calories during the week.

I track using a excel spreadsheet, might give myfitnesspal a go though as I pick data from the site already using their calculators.
well done giving up smoking :D

go for a low calorie option but you are doing fantastic .dont get paranoid with the scales its just as important how you look and feel !

Hi Matt, welcome to the dark side! mwahaha No not really, everyone on here is AMAZING and so supportive, so you've found a great little gem here.

First off, you're doing amazingly so far! I know how frustrating a small loss is one week but try to look at the bigger picture, a loss is a loss and a step in the right direction. And like the others said, if you're doing a lot of gym work, that'll affect the scales. The next day I can see gains of up to 3lbs from the workout before! Basically, it's because when you do a workout, especially if it's intense, it has an impact on your muscles because it causes tissue breakdown or tiny tears in the muscle (isn't as serious as it sounds!) which is why you sometimes feel sore the next day. When that happens, your body tries to protect the tissue by causing it to retain water. The soreness and retention can last 24-48 hours generally, after that you should see a drop in the scales again. Even if you don't get the muscle soreness, that retention will still happen. I know for my I will generally see 1-1.5lbs go on the scales the next day when I've used anything weights related. So I make sure that my last Kettleworx workout is a Saturday, Sunday I do a non-weighted cardio workout and have Monday as a rest day. That way it gives me body time to kick out that retention and I get a more accurate weigh in on Tuesday morning.

If you make sure you keep your water up (2 litres a day) then you should find that it helps with that a bit. Checking your measurements will hopefully help keep you motivated as well. One week I lost 0.75lbs and to be honest, I was gutted. I'd eaten well, I'd worked out hard and thought I deserved more. When I checked my measurements, I'd lost an inch from my back, waist and hips in a week which really is pretty good. Doing the scales and measurements helps give you a more balanced picture I think.

I agree with the others, myfitnesspal is fantastic. They've got apps for the blackberry, iphone and android phones which makes it even easier to use. I feel for you on the hotel front, I usually have a meeting away about once a month which involves hotel stays and so eating food from somewhere. If I can, I try to either go somewhere where the nutritional info is listed, either on the website of myfitnesspal. Or I'll grab something from a supermarket and have that.

Anyway, I'm going to stop rambling now as this has turned into a pretty long post, sorry! Good luck with everything, you sound like you've got a great attitude towards it all and I'm sure you'll do fantastically.

Thanks for the support, sorry not been on to reply been a hectic week.

Weigh in is this evening, comes round quick, my eating has mainly remained unchanged this week, although I dropped a thai chicken salad starter off my hotel meal (x 2 nights) just to be safe.

Also discovered Tika Masala Powder and Tika'd everything at the weekend (well Chicken saturday and Trout sunday) using low cal yogurt so think it only added about 70cals per meal but tasted just like the real deal :D, even tried brown rice, bit hard but is not too bad.

Reckon I have averaged 1600 cals per day over the last week, which is maybe a little low.

Oh and I drink tonnes of water maybe 3 litres per day, I like it, am almost getting addicted to it, but it does create a lot of trips to the little boys room, which is, pretty annoying.

I have been to the gym tuesday and wednesday but have done no weights, focusing on cardio & swimming, I will do weights Fridays and Mondays to try not to impact the scales.

Brown rice shouldn't be any harder than white rice but it takes longer! About 35 minutes I think, so maybe next time you need to just cook it a little longer?

1600 calories for a man is ok but I wouldn't go any lower for it. If you weren't exercising over the weekend, I wouldn't worry about it, that would have been fine.

Sounds like you are doing amazingly well. Tikkaing is a great idea, think I shall try it next week.
Keep up the good work :) xx

Back