maybe it's time to introduce myself here

shrinking-sarah

* coughs nervously as she stands to face the group*

I'm Sarah, I'm 32 and I'm a fatty. I weigh in at a whopping 23 stone 4 but I'm only 5 foot 5.

I've been fat most of my life. I was a normal healthy kid, put a few pounds on as a teen but shifted them and started to pile weight on in my 20s.I started to lose weight but it turned out that was more due to the cancer that was eating me away than to my own efforts.

I had surgery to remove a tumour ( which weighed in at a whopping 2.5 STONES)and was basically like a skeleton. My family set about feeding me up and truthfully I never stopped eating after that.

I've piled the weight on since then and I'm now so big it effects my health.

I have a bad back, my joints ache, my asthma plays up and I'm terrified my lifestyle will mean the big C comes back.

I have shocking eating habits, food is a weapon and a comfort. I binge, I comfort eat, I'm scared of staying fat but I'm scared of being slim too after a terrifying experience when younger. I see staying fat as a way to guarantee that won't happen again as it makes me undesirable.

I can see my biggest barrier to my goal is me and my messed up thinking. I know I'll need support and I'll need to work on changing the psychological issues that are holding me back.

That's where all you come in (I'm hoping) I need support and as many of us in this part of the forum are on the same path I'm hoping with your help I'll over come the hurdles I place for myself and make it to the goal.

* sits back down refusing to make eye contact after purging emotionally to everyone*

Hello, Sarah!

Wow, what a story, I'm not surprised you turned to food for comfort. But as you say, it'll be in the best interests of your future health to sort it out now, and I'm sure you'll find lots of support on this part of the forum. I started out with 10 stone to lose, after 30 years of yo-yo dieting and eating disorders, and have now lost about 6 of them, through calorie counting and Orlistat. I was getting a lot of weight related problems, such as osteoarthritis in my knees and high blood pressure, and the latter at least is now improving (look after your knees though, once they're gone they're gone, lol).

Have you spoken to your GP about the best way for you to go about losing weight? Mine has been very supportive, but I know not everyone has the same experience.

I wish you all the very best.

Tracy xx

You are on the right place hun! I'm the same height as you and was 28st at my biggest so don't feel like the biggest one! I too had emotional issues with good, I say had because I feel pretty much over them now thanks to listening to slimpods and keeping coming on here and always getting back on the wagon. You can do this! X

welcome Sarah, you will find this group very supportive I am sure, I myself weighed in at 22 st 5lbs just under 7 weeks ago, we all have alot of weight to lose making it a comfortable environment as you can talk with people facing a similar battle to yourself. It sounds like you have had a lot to cope with in life, I can totally relate to the binge eating as well as the fear of being fat and also the fear of losing weight. I know so many people think losing weight is such a wonderful positive experience and for some it is but for others its a very mixed bag, I really want to lose weight and reclaim my life so losing weight on one level makes me very happy but on another due to some bad issues in my past I find losing weight extremely scary, as if I am shedding the body shield I have used to protect myself for years, it really plays with your mind!

Anyway I look forward to chatting with you on here and seeing how you are getting on, are you doing any particular plan? Em x

Hi Sarah like most of us with a fair amount to lose its as much psychological as physical changes. As someone who has the cancer battle myself I know the horrible feeling that you are always worried it will come back. That alone will knock you down mentally. Sounds like you have been though a hard time. It is a big step posting the start of your journey here and lots of people in this section of the forum are really supportive of each other. I wish you every bit of luck on your journey.

hi sarah ..what a rough time you have had hun...i to have always had weight issues fat all my life (except 2 years after my first was born all came off then went back again ??? still unknown why?) anyway i have only been here a week and have been getting motivated by other peoples progress and the nice comments i had a post i made
i also weighed in at 23 stone+ but i am a tad taller lol ..still a big big girl though ..anyway hope you get the support you need and start loosing some i have lost 6lb in my 1st week ..please keep us informed on how you do
Good luck :)

wow mothertiggy, well done on your 6 lb weight loss, that is amazing, I'm so happy for you, Em xx

Thank you everyone, you're all so welcoming and supportive :)

hi there Sarah :wavey: Just wanted to add my welcome too and wish you all the best. ya know the more weight you need rid of the more it seems like you're trying to climb mount everest but with the support on here we can achieve anything!:D

Hi Sarah

I'm a newb too but wanted to say hello and good luck :) You'll get there chick

x

Hi Sarah, just found this part of mini's too. Can certainly relate a lot with the food security issues and know it's a long process to overcome that but we do learn new habits along the way and you can be successful. Really wishing you every success xx

You've been through so much already you clearly have the strength to do what it takes to shift the weight and keep it off. You are in the right place here cos the support here is amazing and everyone knows exactly how hard it is whether you have 1lb or 20lb it's the same battle. I look forward to hearing your progress, good luck!
xxx

Back