Meal sharing.

stivesliz

Gold Member
Am sure that I am not the only one on here or at SW that has problems with cooking for one - because the rest of your household dont want it!

I live with my hubby and just one daughter, ( the other one is at uni ) and after years of catering for 4 I am now going it alone - as lovely as SW food is, my hubby and 15 year old tend to want to eat their own meal and I have to look after myself. I dont mind this at all, but I struggle with just doing one portion.

So......I came up with the idea at my group that anyone else in a similar situation ( and there was actually several ) we would share our meals. We have a private group on Facebook so we tend to pop up what's on offer , eg, ''Fish pie available if anyone wants it'' and whoever takes it , more often than not, will return a portion of what they have cookedn the following day.

I think it's a great idea - it keeps us all going and also lets us try things out that we wouldnt necessarily want to cook incase we didn't like it.

My consultant is having my fish pie for dinner tonight and tomorrow I am looking forward to a beef and ale casserole - yum x

I actually think this is a great idea, I don't have this problem myself as my boyfriend loves slimming world meals and my little one is only 3 so when I give him my meals he has to eat them otherwise he gets nothing else, other times I'll do him something different because I know he won't like what we're having, but I'm hoping in a few years he will eat whatever we eat.

I'd def suggest this in group if anyone ever mentions struggling cooking for one though

I know techincally you could make a large dish and freeze some of it, but my freezer is always so full anyway and I just think it's a nice way of tasting what other people eat and maybe getting some new ideas. x

This is a great idea!. We have 2 ladies in our group, one who works long hours, and her husband is away alot so she tries to spend all her free time with her young son, and the other whose daugther is disabled and she's full time carer for her. I often think that it would be nice to just bring along a few extra meals to my group for them, but I don't know how they'd feel about it - some people can take it as a bit of a criticism.

This is a great idea!. We have 2 ladies in our group, one who works long hours, and her husband is away alot so she tries to spend all her free time with her young son, and the other whose daugther is disabled and she's full time carer for her. I often think that it would be nice to just bring along a few extra meals to my group for them, but I don't know how they'd feel about it - some people can take it as a bit of a criticism.

I can see what you mean - but if you suggest in group that if anyone has spare portions that cant be frozen or wasted then they may take you up on the idea anyway.

Or, just bring one anyway, catch her after the class on her own and say ''I've made this and I know how busy you are, so just thought you would like to try this'' - she'll probably be over the moon! x

What a fantastic idea! :)

I cook for 5 most of the time, sometimes 7 when OH children are here. We usually all eat the same thing; I may leave something off my plate, or have some extra veggies.

Very cool idea. There's only a couple of veggies at my group so not sure how it would work for me and being an only child I never was that good at sharing! :)

Thats a fab idea! Im quite lucky that my husband will eat whatever and the kids are too young to say no lol

You think the following but how do you say - Your food was not nice and I didn't like it and I don't want any more thank you - nicely without offending.

This is what would stop me doing it as I would not know what to say.

This is a great idea, glad to hear it's working in your group. I've often thought about when it comes to soup which would be quite easy to share, but I worry that no one would like my soup!!! Also we have a dog and I'd be horrified if a hair turned up in their portion (I do keep my kitchen very clean I hasten to add!!)

This is a great idea, glad to hear it's working in your group. I've often thought about when it comes to soup which would be quite easy to share, but I worry that no one would like my soup!!! Also we have a dog and I'd be horrified if a hair turned up in their portion (I do keep my kitchen very clean I hasten to add!!)

ah soup! Now I dont quite know where I go wrong but all my soups turn out minging lol. Am hoping by offering out some of my delicious cheesy bacon and mushroon pasta tomorrow I may get some soup x

ah soup! Now I dont quite know where I go wrong but all my soups turn out minging lol. Am hoping by offering out some of my delicious cheesy bacon and mushroon pasta tomorrow I may get some soup x

I would certainly swap with you! The pasta sounds yum!

That's a shame, I rely on soup, I have it even when it's summer! Have you tried the tomato superspeed soup? 1 can of toms, 1 can of baked beans, 1 can of carrots, stock cube and a pickled onion (I'm sure that's everything). Blitz with a blender and then heat and season to taste.

I live alone so usually eat same things 2 days running so im only cooking every other night. Also stick portion sized things in the freezer if make more than 2 portions for lazy days when cant be bothered to cook or also extremely handy coming up to payday!

I think its a great idea what your group do. A lot of people get stuck in a rut eating same things week in week out, so even for someone to try something new is good. I wouldnt get offended if someone said they didnt like something. Everyone has different tastes. One persons favourite meal may be someone elses idea of hell on a plate!

Less dishes too - everyones a winner!

My issue with the freezing is that I tend to bulk buy my meat and freeze it so its obviously been frozen once already by the time I cook it so thats why I dont freeze it again. Its working well for my group - just about 3 or 4 of us doing it at the moment but I am horrendously busy with work on a Friday and saturday so am chuffed that for the next 2 days I dont need to worry about dinner yay!

Liz - I freeze meat and then freeze it again once cooked - always have done. Yesterday I took mince out of the freezer, cooked bolognaise and then froze a portion. I've always done it and I'm still here!!

Back on thread, what a great idea in group. Brilliant!

Back