Measuring instead of weighing 😁

angel-missy

Regained around 3st due to emotional eating. Made a total lifestyle change - quit my extremely stressful job and moved to Spain 😎The fat started to disappear slowly but back on Exante to speed things along. I don't have any scales, prefer not to become obsessed with the daily fluctuations and am actually more interested in ditching the flabby belly than what the numbers on the scale say.... I'm wondering if anyone else is going on measurements / how clothes fit etc rather than weight?

. I don't have any scales, prefer not to become obsessed with the daily fluctuations and am actually more interested in ditching the flabby belly than what the numbers on the scale say.... I'm wondering if anyone else is going on measurements / how clothes fit etc rather than weight?

Yes - I have a number as I'm on a medically supervised programme. The goal on my profile is an intermediary goal.

My final "numbers" goal will still have me in "overweight" category at a BMI just over 33. That reflects my weight profile over the years and age (60 next year! - wow ---- how did that happen?).

My real goal is to be in size 12 to 14 clothes. Two sizes as sizes aren't consistent. Waist size - I think below 36 inches - 34 preferably. And I don't want a scrawny face!

Yes, if you're on a supervised programme they will want regular weights. I left my scales behind as I only brought with me what would fit in the car 😂 oddly enough I'm finding it easier to stick to without them. In the past I was obsessed with the scale, weighing multiple times a day and getting discouraged if it didn't reflect my efforts. So I haven't updated my weight, guessing I started this time around 12st based on previous weights at about the amount of fat I could grab around my middle! I may weigh myself when I am down to where I want to be again just out of interest. Until then just staying away from the scales!!!

We are all so different! I find daily weighing works for me - even on days when I tick up.

Do you have a goal for clothes size or waist? Or will it be when you feel it's right to maintain?

Btw, I found this on the NHS website: "Regardless of your height or BMI, you should try to lose weight if your waist is:

• 94cm (37ins) or more for men
  • 80cm (31.5ins) or more for women
You are at very high risk and you should contact your GP if your waist is:

• 102cm (40ins) or more for men
  • 88cm (34ins) or more for women"
Think it's v unlikely I'll get to 31.5"!

For me it's more about when I feel right but I know I feel best with a waist measurement of 26 to 28 inches. I started off this time with 35 inches and 5 days in it's already down to 33 😁 I didn't weigh or measure when I felt at my heaviest - was very stressed and depressed at the time, on medication that did nothing other than make me feel worse. I could literally feel myself getting bigger by the week 😓 since I've had a major lifestyle change and de stressed massively, I've definitely shed a noticeable amount.
As you say different things work for different people, and you should go with what motivates you and keeps you on track 😁 Also it's fine to reassess and adjust your goals as you go. Something that seems unreasonable now may well become perfectly achievable and things that seem important may become insignificant later. Just keep going and you'll get there 💗

Back