Measuring oatbran

Love it! every (high calorific) minute of it!

And of course being over here, we get none of the hype or excitement beforehand so coming home and hearing the carols etc (on Dec 23 or similar, whereas you guys get them mid October and are sick of them by then) is so special

We don't even get a darned day off this year for either Christmas OR New Year... or next year come to that, grrr!

what do you mean you dont get a day off?

Ooh I love Christmas, Laura doesnt lol, I love cheese and Christmas, I am a lush!

BAH HUMBUG!!!!

Christmas Day and New Year's Day fall on Saturday this year, and Sunday next...

No days in lieu over here... no Boxing Day ever... so nowt! Will have to take holiday to get to UK to celebrate properly...

Ooh Cathy, get you. I DO like Christmas. But I like it to last Christmas Eve-Christmas Day and no more. So yeah, bah humbug a little.

I tune into the BBC on Christmas Eve for the carols - lovely! Just not the same in French.

(I think the French system sucks where there is no day in lieu if a public holiday falls at the weekend - as most do this year).

horrible stupid days... five off in May this year, how pathetic... then they expect us to work through christmas? some country this is <mutter mutter, grumble grumble>

I'd seriously sell a May holiday or two for a Christmas one!

Oh you see I would work all xmas if I could. we take off about 5 days (we HAVE to) between xmas and new year as the offices are shut. I would prefer holidays through the year when I want them. when the weather is nice. Not to just sit around eat rubbish and bored.

I'm a bit anti-christmas too. Twice recently have been abroad without family and its been ace. Although is bloomin weird having carols in australia at xmas when its boiling.

I use a proper tablespoon but I have been wondering how 'heaped' the spoon should be? I try to keep it pretty flat but I don't level it off.

I think it should be level too, I try and shake off the excess so that it's pretty flat.

Yeah I shake it a bit until its flat, but I do wonder whether we are all measuring differently

I got one of those little measuring spoon things - when I bought the now dead and buried bread maker....

it has 1/2 tsp and tsp on one end and tblsp on the other :)

I'm greedy with food, so tend to fill up my spoons with both oatbran and wheatbran!...

On the French official site, the recipe for the galette talks of "HEAPED spoonful" of fromage frais for the galette, and "spoonful" of oatbran and wheatbran...

So I'd say "level" would be right. To be honest, I wouldn't go OTT about it though... the oatbran doesn't stay with us long (theoretically)... (Vicky/Cheryl - which is why I wonder re Fitplan giving it so many calories if it's indigestible and "passes through"...)

Yes you have to double check really.

Hi all,

a bit late really but I measured my spoons last night. I have got an old German cutlery set (c. 1920s) from my gran, and the table / soup spoons ('Esslöffel' = 'Eating spoon' is the German term) look absolutely HUGE. Much bigger than my recent 'viners' brand spoons (6 dessert & 2 table in a set). I've measured the big ones against my proper measuring spoons and they both hold EXACTLY 15ml, not mounded of course. I have also weighed 15gr of cornflour and that is a level tablespoon (used the measuring spoon).
SO I'd say get a proper measuring spoon and measure your cutlery using Water and then you can use it without stressing.

It's confusing when he uses weights and volumes at different places, but for the bran I think there is no need to stress too much about measuring.

Hi Anja

how have you been?

Back