Measuring spoons

cheekychinchilla

Gold Member
Hey guys!
Could be a daft question, but here goes. Does anyone use proper measuring spoons for measuring things like tomato sauce and mayo? I didn't until recently, just using spoons from the drawer and hoping for the best. But since I had a run of sts's I've been trying to be as good as possible. So dug out the proper measuring spoons and have been using them for a week or two. Thing is, I'm getting more stuff using these than I did just using regular spoons and hoping for the best. So I'm starting to worry, lol :eek:

I use measuring spoons, but the only thing I seem to measure is gravy.

Also - mine have mls on them, I'm assuming that 5ml is a teaspoon right? I hope so :)

I use the teaspoon and tablespoon one. I have honey and maple syrup quite a lot :)

Oh no, not saying my sts's were down to sauces-I was making silly mistakes with other things :eek: I'm just being extra careful with everything now. Just seems that I get a lot more of whatever it is I'm measuring now that I'm using the proper spoons. Not complaining btw ;)

I did wonder about this and worry that my tbsp of mayo is more heaped than it should be. I found some measuring spoons in the drawer the other day so I shall dig them out and try them.

I use the teaspoon and tablespoon one. I have honey and maple syrup quite a lot :)

Oh no, not saying my sts's were down to sauces-I was making silly mistakes with other things :eek: I'm just being extra careful with everything now. Just seems that I get a lot more of whatever it is I'm measuring now that I'm using the proper spoons. Not complaining btw ;)

It's always nice to find out that you can have more of something than you originally thought. I got into a bad habit of not weighing cheese - only to find that I'd been depriving myself of roughly 10g!!! :eek: xxx

I use proper measuring spoons, it's amazing how much a tbsp of ketchup is, i was the same as you, under guessing stuff, probably due to the idea of it being a "diet" so you must deprive yourself... LOL

I alway's use measuring spoons, and for exact liquid measures go and buy a good brand baby's feeding bottle!
As it's for babies the measures have to be exact, no approx like you sometimes get on measuring jugs

A tbsp of sauce is a lot isn't it?! In the past I was probably only having half the amount I am now!!
I've just started (yesterday) measuring out my milk allowance and very glad that 2 days in I haven't run out. I don't use a lot of milk anyway, but wanted to make sure that even with my Weetabix I wasn't going over.
Feels quite good going back to basics and making sure I'm doing things right. Sad, I know ;)

Funny you should start a thread about measuring spoons as I was contemplating them in the supermarket yesterday. I decided to get some but not from there as they were a bit crappy looking. I think it's time for me to go back to basics and start weighing/measuring things again to ensure that I haven't become overly generous with my HexAs and Bs, I don't think I have but you never know til you try! Probably it's something all us guesstimators should do from time to time!

yep I always use measuring spoons. As well as my spoons I also have cup measurement thingies too, bought them both from Ikea years okay.

If I have milk for my HEa, then I measure it out using hte cups in the morning and keep it in a cup or jug in the fridge. I know thne that when it is gone thats it. Is also easier for making up recipes too and remembering measurements.

I remember owning measuring spoons and cup measurers. Then I had children, and they mysteriously went missing....

I must get some more. Good idea about the baby bottle too!

For my milk the last two days I have measured it out and put it into an empty water bottle so I know where I'm at through the day. Point was to see what I had when I have Weetabix and what I have when I just use milk for coffee as I sometimes count milk in coffee as half a HexA and then do half for cheese-I have strong coffee. But I bought chocolate Weetabix so had that 2 days in a row :p I'm sure I'll get round to measuring just milk for coffee!

I measure everything with measuring spoons as I am a bit of a mayo-aholic so best to be safe! I don't measure my milk unless i am synning it as i reckon i don't go over. At the moment i am happy with my losses but if it slows up I might start being more careful!

I'm EXACTLY the same as you, OP! After a looonnggg run of STS I religously measured everything. Sauces, milk, the lot...and I found that I use WAY less when I'm guesstimating than I actually allow for. So where I'd be counting 1 syns for a wee dollop of sauce, it's only more like half a syn. And I suspected I might be going over my milk allowance, but found that when I measured it into a jug each morning, I still had enough left for a half milk/half water hot chocolate at night - ironic, as I'd been thinking of that as an occasional big treat, and synning the milk! hahaha

I just used my measuring spoons for the first time ever!! I had a 2tbsp of can't believe it's not butter light on 2 slices of ww bread and I used more than I usually give myself. I will definately use them more from now on.

I use my measuring spoons alot for recipes etc but I do feel when you measure ketchup etc that some gets left behind that I'm slightly cheated so wipe it out with my finger!!

Yup, I measure everything. For me it's about minimizing my worries, if I measure then I am sure I'm having the right / allowed amounts of my HeA/B's or syns - I'm a bit of a control freak so this allows me not to worry about it :D

Back