Meetings

amylou55

Ok so as of 4 weeks ago I started slimming world from home. I have been to a group previously but had to stop due to work commitments. Anyway my mum decided that she wanted to loose 2 stone before her holiday & persuaded me to join her at a new group that has been on tonight. I was very sceptical about going but did it for my mum. So got to the meeting on time & realised I actually new the consultant (old school friends mum)
So was nice to see a friendly face. We had the new members meeting & sat in for the group menu. There was two ladies that spoke all the way through over the consultant & the members. One girl sat texting or surfing net not even looking at the consultant when she was talking to her. So now before I say this next comment please don't shoot me down because I have no problems with children being at meetings but when the consultant is doing her meeting & the child is screaming & running around & the mum is sat there talking to the two ladies who have spoke all the way through the meeting. This I have a problem with. So rant over now, but some people are so god dam rude.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Yes I completely agree! My old WW meeting was exactly the same. It got right on my nerves, I nearly said something but it wasn't my place. It's so rude.

That is rude especially for new members to witness too,I don't go to group but thinking when my weightloss slows down I might need to :/ good on you for supporting your mum though maybe there is a better group out there? x

Do the consultants not explain to members (politely) that talking over others might put new members off? Id feel intimidated if there were 2 people who wouldn't be quiet & thought they were in charge so to speak,glad im not in a group tbh sounds like its hard to find a really friendly one that feels safe.I would have no problems either with members bringing children as have 3 myself but they need to sit quietly else everybody else suffers & members aren't getting what they pay for! Really think the consultant needs to take control x

Tell the consultant that.

People surfing on their phones? Well, if they don't want to listen that's their prerogative. They're not disturbing anyone are they? But the talking can only stop if the consultant actually controls the group.

Sometimes it takes a little push from someone to stop that. We used to get that a lot in our group but I made a point to my consultant that I don't pay her to hear other peoples conversations. She now makes sure that no one talks and will tell them to shut up if they do lol

I've just realised I must look really rude in my meetings. I am on my phone constantly because I use it to take notes and tips about what other members are doing during the week, though to anyone else it probably looks like I'm texting or surfing the internet!!
Lately there has been a bit of chatter in our group towards the end but I think it's because it's getting too long. We used to be done for 8:45ish but last week it was 9:10 before we left, our consultant is quite quick to rein it back in though and stop the chatter!

We have a few people in our group that whisper to each other and have little jokes between each other during the group - it really un-nerves me and makes me feel uncomfortable.

Sometimes my daughter has to join me when I go (she's 7) but I always make sure I take her tablet and headphones and she sits quietly watching a DVD or playing a game and not causing havok!

The few kids that occasionally come to our group are better behaved than some of the grown ups! Our group is getting a bit too big in my view, so people get bored and start chatting. Our consultant is a long way away in the middle of the circle and has an accent, so it's really hard work trying to hear her :(

My consultant just wouldn't stand for this sort of behaviour! Actually, we wouldn't dare! She is very nice but can be a bit fierce. She did once confiscate someone's phone when it kept ringing during a meeting. It was done in a jokey way, but the point was made, and it never happened again.

It is difficult sometimes for consultants, because they have to keep everyone happy, and even the disruptive ones are paying customers that they can't afford to lose.

That drives me crazy, one woman at my group has "potatoes" as her text alert and it goes off non-stop!! Turn the blooming thing on silent, It is so rude.

I went to my first meeting last night and tbh, I never want to go back. Two kids running round causing havoc is apparently completely the norm. And as someone that suffers from chronic headaches I just couldn't take it. I was sat it that room for two hours and I don't think I've ever been so bored/annoyed/wanted to cry.

I went to my first meeting last night and tbh, I never want to go back. Two kids running round causing havoc is apparently completely the norm. And as someone that suffers from chronic headaches I just couldn't take it. I was sat it that room for two hours and I don't think I've ever been so bored/annoyed/wanted to cry.
maybe try a different meeting, meetings later int he evening tend to have no kids or at least far fewer kids and due to the fewer atendees go quicker and allow for a more chummy atmosphere.

We have a lovely group but there is a group of three women who seem to be best friends and colleagues and live in each other's pockets. From their talk they seem they share everything from office lunches to evening meals, family weekends and girls nights out. Whenever one is the target of group therapy all three start talking as if it is their own little social get together, all going on about how good or bad the person that we are discussing was, running through their whole damn week of work lunches, secret snacks, extra drinks during their after work get together etc, making jokes that I guess go along the lines of "well, I guess you had to be there" and each one, in group therapy ends up taking three times longer per person than anyone else in GT.

It drives me up the wall because honestly, that is their own social life that they are trying to take over our group with. They all think they are wonderful and hilarious and find each other irresistible and obviously think we are all enthralled by their non-stop being together all week. There is screaming with laughter, teasing, telling on each other about syns, more screaming with laughter.

Apart from those three, the rest of our group are lovely.

My group is pretty similar to that, only topped by the cliquishness of the group. I went three times so far and didn't enjoy a meeting so far. It's not my first attempt at SW, in the past I went to brilliant groups - but that was before we moved. I remember groups being ever so helpful, so at the moment I look at alternative groups within driving distance. Right now I feel I am just wasting £4.95 a week. But such "truly average" groups are thankfully not the norm.

Hexe - that's what kept running through my mind. The £4.95 I had spent! I'm a student nurse so I'm not earning at the moment and so £4.95 a week is a big commitment.

Rm247, unfortunately I've joined with two friends who already go to this group. I'll stay long enough to be polite next week but I may pull the consultant and explain to him that I will leave as soon as my headaches get bad because of the noise of the kids and the meetings running too long. I'm so passive aggressive it hurts ;)

Back