Total Solution Mere's Diary

Hope you have an amazing time x

Have just spent the last hour or so catching up with all your diaries. Some very good stuff going on , lots of determination.

Borneo was wonderful. I loved the place and the people. Lots of very basic accommodation, mainly washing in cold water, not easy to throw pans of cold water over yourself instead of showering!

sleeping arrangements were mainly on the floor on very thin mattresses in mixed dorms. I have never slept with strange men before!

Did not climb the mountain as I got to 7000 feet and got altitude sickness. Nothing to do with fitness level or age but rather to do with circulation. I had to go by taxi to a hotel at a much lower altitude as our guide thought I was risking having a heart attack! Stayed in bed for a day in the room next to reception and someone came to check on me every hour. The hotel were given strict instructions to get me to hospital immediately if I got any worse.

had a couple of days in a lovely hotel at the beach then it was back to the jungle with 5 to 6 hour treks every day in 100% humidity. Within minutes of starting the days trek you were soaked with sweat. We only had two sets of clothes with us one to wear during the day and one to wear at night. You had to keep the night clothes dry but put on the wet ones again in the morning. We did that for five days. Walking through jungle with a heavy rucksack on your back in torrential rain and high humidity is no joke. At one point the bridge we were to cross had been blown down in the previous nights storm so we had to wade across the river. A waste of time removing socks and rolling up trousers as the river came up to my waist! Wet knickers!!!

the group we were with were great fun and you would think with all that exercise I would have lost a lot of weight but I think I have probably gained weight as I ate either fried noodles or fried rice for every meal including breakfast. I don't think I will ever look a grain of rice in the eye again!

on my birthday I climbed up to the Baku plateaux which was 3000 feet almost vertical. A very different way of spending my 65th. I then paddled in the South China Sea. Made some new friends, saw lots of primates, reptiles and insects in the wild and had experiences I never dreamed I would have. Enjoyed staying in local houses with lovely families a lot of smiling and very little English. Definitely the holiday of a lifetime. Pictures later once I have sorted through the several hundred I took. x

ps passed out in the plane on the way there and got wedged under a fallen tree in the jungle when hubby decided I could crawl under it with my rucksack on! All part of life's rich tapestry.

Wow mere that sounds amazing! I'm so glad you had a good time.
Now your home you can get in that jacuzzi! I bet it'll feel like heaven! X

Oh my goodness, what an adventure. Not something I can ever invisage doing myself, I like my luxuries too much, but it sounds incredible. I'm glad you're ok though, sounds like it got a bit scary with the altitude sickness.

What a fantastic adventure! Not sure about passing out or getting altitude sickness but the rest sounds like an amazing trip! You should be very proud of yourself doing all that trekking!

I wanted an adventure before I was too old and I certainly got one!

Son has just announced the date for his wedding. He is getting married on 29th December. Who will not be having Christmas pudding this year!
i am going to do a weekly count down starting on Monday. I don't know what weight I am at the moment because I still have swollen ankles from all the hours I spent flying but I will jump on the scales on Monday morning and decide then how much weight I want to lose.

Mere what an amazing month that you will never forget....both for your adventure and the announcement xxx

Hi Mere I'm only catching up on the diaries now -wow that hot tub looks amazing how lovely to have one. So pleased you had such a great holiday and big congrats on the wedding date announcement it's a great incentive and the time will fly in x

Well WI this morning and I am 10sts 7lbs. I have my niece's wedding in October then my son's wedding in December so I need to get back to my maintenance weight really soon. 17 weeks to my son's wedding but I will have to shop for a new outfit a few weeks before then. I am going to count the cals for a few weeks to see how I get on.

Best of luck Mere on counting calories - you know you can do it you have done before - I find it a lot easier now with the kids back in school and autumn in - I'm not out and about with food everywhere I look - hope it goes well x

Mere! Sign up to the 10's to 9's thread on the through the stones. There's only 2 of us on there at the mo, so we're lonely!

That sounds like quite an adventure Mere. Im glad you enjoyed it :)

Hi Yoyo will try looking for the thread. x

Went for a wee look to see the new dresses to wear to my sons wedding. Couldn't believe I got a beautiful Jacque Vert dress in the sale with a hundred pounds off! It is a gorgeous dress with lace on the bodice. It is grape so I will perhaps try to get a pale grey or cream coat and black shoes and bag. As it is going to be the dead of winter I may have to wear my black boots for the City Chambers and change into shoes for the hotel. I am really excited. Dress is a size 12 and fits perfectly. x

Last edited:
Also got a size 10 Planet dress with £77 off. It is raspberry and will be perfect for the hen night. Looked for a coat today but they are all huge and since I am petite they drown me. Will have to wait a week or two until the winter clothes come in.

Sounds lovely mere :)

Back